Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Science no longer science in Kansas schools

BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
[url]http://msnbc.msn.com/id/9967813/[/url]

[quote]In addition, the board rewrote the definition of science, so that it is no longer limited to the search for natural explanations of phenomena.[/quote]

Comments

• Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    :mad: :rolleyes: :mad:
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    Everywhere in the United States its 2005, in Kansas its 1605.
  • PhiPhi <font color=#FF0000>C</font><font color=#FF9900>o</font><font color=#FFFF00>l</font><font color=#00F
    [QUOTE]“These changes are not targeted at changing the hearts and minds of the Darwin fundamentalists,” Calvert said.[/QUOTE]
    Do tell...what is a Darwin fundamentalist?

- Φ
  • AlaricAlaric Damn kids! Get off my island!
    Re: Science no longer science in Kansas schools

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B][url]http://msnbc.msn.com/id/9967813/[/url] [/B][/QUOTE]

So will they be explaining how Brahma created the world under command from Vishnu?

or any one of dozens of other creation theories?
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    Re: Re: Science no longer science in Kansas schools

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Alaric [/i]
    [B]So will they be explaining how Brahma created the world under command from Vishnu?

or any one of dozens of other creation theories? [/B][/QUOTE]

Brahmin?

Oy! We talking about those two headed cows from Fallout?

Poor cows.. always some jerks tipping them over..

hehehe... *tip tip*
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    *sigh*

the poor children.
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    As Fark put it: [i]The Flying Spagetti Monster is victorious.[/i]

[Rant] I want to say so much more, I want go on a long diatribe on the ignorance and misguided attempts to hijack science education to teach religion, but I'm tired. I tired of the of lack of common sence in this world. I'm tired of the minority attempting impose their will on the majority. I tired of those who feel voilence is an acceptable path to resolution. I have so much more to say, but I'm just plain tired...

[i] I think this is going to be a rough morning[/i][/rant]

Jake
    Also from Fark.com:

[img]http://www.freeladders.com/albums/fark/emptycage.sized.jpg[/img]

Damn, some of their photoshops are funny...

Jake
  • [quote]In addition, the board rewrote the definition of science, so that it is no longer limited to the search for natural explanations of phenomena.[/quote]

So what exactly is their brilliantly progressive new approach to science eh? Oh I know, "science is now the search for goodfacts that uphold the absolute truth of creation as told in the bible." :rolleyes:
  • That is absolutely ridiuclous, not only does it support teachings that are not considered "science" by the world at large, but isn't intelligent design a Christian thing? so wouldn't that be purporting one religion over all others?

"The universe is to complex to have come about naturally"

Give it a few billion years and i don't know, i think something pretty complex could come out of it.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    If the pendulum swings too far in either direction, no one benefits...

You all may be tired of extremist christians pushing their agenda, but the other side is just as tired of not having equal access.

;)
  • CurZCurZ Resident Hippy
    Equal access? What if science was mandatory to be taught as "another point of view" in churches? I bet people would be pretty pissed off about that. Why not just leave the science to the science classes and the religion to the churches?
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by JackN [/i]
    [B]If the pendulum swings too far in either direction, no one benefits...

You all may be tired of extremist christians pushing their agenda, but the other side is just as tired of not having equal access.

;) [/B][/QUOTE]

This isn't about "equal access," Jack. It's about teaching stuff in science classes that isn't science. Also, what Curz said.
    I believe Jack is referring to such things as the removal of Christmas celebrations from public domains.

That said, I disagree that religious groups should be allowed significant access to public schools systems. Things such as an after hours bible study, or a congregation using a school structure for worship on an off-day are fine, but religion has no place dictating curriculum. Can religion be part of a curriculum? Sure, as long as it’s balanced among a reasonable cross-section of faiths

As most have pointed out, one of the more problematic areas is not the questioning of evolution, ideally all theories get questioned at some point, its the rewriting of the definition of science the is problematic. By this new explanation, not only does it allow for the teaching of intelligent design, it allows the use of the supernatural to explain all sorts of pheromone, such as like hauntings or spirits.

Jake
  • Re: Re: Science no longer science in Kansas schools

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Alaric [/i]
    [B]So will they be explaining how Brahma created the world under command from Vishnu?

or any one of dozens of other creation theories? [/B][/QUOTE]

Don't count on it... Although I'd forgive them if the Kansas school board omitted the ancient Egyptian theory of creation. Ikky. ;)
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Freejack [/i]
    [B]Can religion be part of a curriculum? Sure, as long as it’s balanced among a reasonable cross-section of faiths [/B][/QUOTE]

That's how it works here.
    Indeed. As it is here.

Also, what Biggles and Curz said.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Ditto.

Badastronomy's take on it: [url]http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog/2005/11/08/kansas-school-board-once-again-opts-to-crush-childrens-futures/[/url]
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    So.. what are you wishing for christmas?
  • Rachel Weisz.
  • Show me evidence of speciation. Darwin's theories hold that, for evolution to happen the way he says it does, that at some point itty bitty changes (like those seen in the lengths of beaks of finches on whatever island) lead to the creation of entirely different species. Now, go ahead and tell me that there's really no evidence of it happening, but we've got these pretty fossils and eventually if the finches were to breed for a billion years it's conceivable that they'd make a new species (ie one that was unable to breed with other finches). Now, by doing that, aren't we making a leap of faith? Aren't we looking at circumstancial data and making gross assumptions that no human being in their lifetime will ever be able to reproduce in a laboratory or observe in the wild? When you look at it like that it's just as "perposterous" as creationism. Well I've looked at the data and come to my own conclusion. I dare you to show me an experiment that can prove to me otherwise. Otherwise all of this remains conjecture, and intelligent design has just as much basis in fact as what they teach in schools today.

Besides, why are we pointing at Kansas and saying it's the dark ages? Most of the people on this forum would be the first to say the US can't interfere in the affairs of other nations (read: Iraq, North Korea, Iran, etc), but a sovereign state makes a controversial decision, and Americans and citizens of other nations alike all jump on their high horses and talk down to these ignorant neocons. After all, we all know that the teaching of intelligent design as an *alternative* theory is going to lead to hordes of Christian fundamentalists who will be snared by the Bush draft and sent to invade Europe. About time, I say.
    Species don't exist.

yup, you read that right. There are no such thing as species in nature.

Species are an artifical construct created by us because our brains demand compartmentalized organization to understand the universe. What we know of as species is simply snapshots of different organisms in time.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Vertigo_1 [/i]
    [B][Lots of stuff][/B][/QUOTE]

[list=1][*][url]http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/comdesc/[/url]
    [*]You'll note that we're saying Kansas is stupid and wrong, not rushing in there with an army (of "darwin fundamentalists" or anything else). Noone's ever complained about any nation saying what they want about another that I can recall.
    [*]If you think we're opposed to this because we're afraid it'll lead to lots of christian fundamentalists that Bush can use as an army... well that's just plain wrong. It sounds like something you've made up to try and make anyone opposed to ID being taught in science classes look like a crazed lunatic out of touch with reality. It also shows that you've completely missed the main complaint here.[/list]
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by croxis [/i]
    [B]Species don't exist.

yup, you read that right. There are no such thing as species in nature.

Species are an artifical construct created by us because our brains demand compartmentalized organization to understand the universe. What we know of as species is simply snapshots of different organisms in time. [/B][/QUOTE]

dog is a species, cat is a species, human is a species.

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Species[/url]
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Vertigo_1 [/i]
    [B]Show me evidence of speciation. Darwin's theories hold that, for evolution to happen the way he says it does, that at some point itty bitty changes (like those seen in the lengths of beaks of finches on whatever island) lead to the creation of entirely different species. Now, go ahead and tell me that there's really no evidence of it happening, but we've got these pretty fossils and eventually if the finches were to breed for a billion years it's conceivable that they'd make a new species (ie one that was unable to breed with other finches). Now, by doing that, aren't we making a leap of faith? Aren't we looking at circumstancial data and making gross assumptions that no human being in their lifetime will ever be able to reproduce in a laboratory or observe in the wild? When you look at it like that it's just as "perposterous" as creationism. Well I've looked at the data and come to my own conclusion. I dare you to show me an experiment that can prove to me otherwise. Otherwise all of this remains conjecture, and intelligent design has just as much basis in fact as what they teach in schools today.
    [/B][/QUOTE]

The only thing I can come up with right now is an experiment with a species of salmon that went extinct in the USA. Another species of salmon was introduced from Canada, and in just a few years, the new species had taken on several characteristics of the old species. Evolution in just a few generations.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    The Universe was sneezed out of the nose of a being called the Great Green Arkleseizure.

Live in fear of the coming of the Great White Handkerchief
    Yes, they are different species because we call them different species. It is easy to see the difference between cat and dog and human becuase they are very ditinct from each other. Our classification system breaks down for organisms that arnt very different from one another.

The thing we must always remind ourselves is that species, atoms, gravity are [i]models[/i], not absolute truths.
    Indeed. The same way that blue is a word for a color. Since the retina in all humans are different in subtle ways, blue is not an absolute truth.

Species is a word to describe the difference between two beings, and that they are too separate to create a fertile progeny. That difference is, nonetheless, a truth.
  • StrikerStriker Provided with distinction
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Entil'Zha [/i]
    [B]The Universe was sneezed out of the nose of a being called the Great Green Arkleseizure.

Live in fear of the coming of the Great White Handkerchief [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm with him! :D
    Yes, but what about that textbook example of that artic bird, that can beed with its neighbords of the same species... except between alasca and siberia (or is it canada and europe? too lazy to get my bio book out)