Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Monitor

Yeah so I bought this LCD monitor and it came with no DVI cable. I go out and buy one & it looks like there are too many pins on the cable for the monitor. But it fits the mac just fine. If I break the pins off from that one area will its still work?

Comments

• Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    Yes, but only in the alternative time line..
  • Its got 4 pins that just dont belong there, I honestly think it would still work if not for those pins that have nowhere to go. DONT THINK ALTERNATE TIME LINE IS NECCESARY YET!
  • Data CrystalData Crystal Pencil Artist
    Well, if the cable fits fine on your Mac and your display is lacking a few points, I seriously don't think it'll work.

...............=====-
    Mac....<...====== ...>.....Display
    ...............=====-

I think that just about makes everyone confused as hell. Basically, if the Mac doesn't put out any signal through those particular pins, you're a ok. But if the mac actually pushes something through those and your monitor doesn't receive them since you've broken the pins, you're screwed. Or at least the picture is.

On the other hand, if the cable doesn't cost a fortune, give it a go. :p
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Data Crystal [/i]
    [B]Well, if the cable fits fine on your Mac and your display is lacking a few points, I seriously don't think it'll work.

...............=====-
    Mac....<...====== ...>.....Display
    ...............=====-

I think that just about makes everyone confused as hell. Basically, if the Mac doesn't put out any signal through those particular pins, you're a ok. But if the mac actually pushes something through those and your monitor doesn't receive them since you've broken the pins, you're screwed. Or at least the picture is.

On the other hand, if the cable doesn't cost a fortune, give it a go. :p [/B][/QUOTE]

That's when the alternative time line comes to work!
  • Data CrystalData Crystal Pencil Artist
    Ah... Of course! Now I get it!
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    So what your saying, basically, is that in this alternative timeline, there are no pins?
    Yes.. It was quite elementary to be honest.

Now just to build that machine to travel between alternative realities..

(speaking of which, the Crossover 3 part arc on Ultimate Fantastic Four was wacky!)
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]So what your saying, basically, is that in this alternative timeline, there are no pins? [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, that is one alternative. But I was aiming for the more literal, and possible one.. Where he did not remove those pins.

And mind you, this is no Matrix. The spoon is quite there you see?

*sphling*
  • I know who your avatar is. MR. SINISTER!
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    [IMG]http://www.datapro.net/images/dvi-config.jpg[/IMG]
  • Its the DVI-I dual link got it at RADIOSNACK for $12.99...It seems that those 4 pins on the left are the analog function. What I need is the DVI-D, smacktard couldn't just GIVE ME CABLE! :mad:
    Oh, and a note, DVI-D that comes bundled with Macs won't work in most monitors (DVI-I type) becuase it has an extra-wide bar on the left. Ordinarily a DVI-D cable will work in DVI-I slots.

Also, I've never seen a monitor that didn't come with a DVI cable...wierd.
  • *cough* ebay...

It fits in the mac perfectly not the monitor.

The model of the monitor didn't even come up either...It does have a vga port though which i can use on the MAC. Don't want to...Is the quality much different?
  • MTMT Ranger
    On the subject of monitors, can anyone recommend a good 19" monitor for gaming/picture editing below $300?

I've been looking at the ViewSonic E90fb and the G90fb, but the only differences I can understand are the $2 price difference and the fact that the E90's max resolution is a bit lower than the G90's -- though I'd probably stick to 1024x768.

I'm on a busted up FD Trinitron my employer was going to throw out with a bunch of other junk (I also picked up a G3), but the screen is screwed up.
    We got a Samsung at work - really nice, but over your limit by about $30.
    If you get a 19" LCD you'll probably want to run it at its native resolution rather than 1024x768, otherwise it'll look blurry. If you do decide to go with LCD (and I would, they're fine for gaming these days) the key thing to look for is the response time. As I recall the recommended maximum for a gaming one is 10ms; I'm sure someone here can clarify that.
  • MTMT Ranger
    Viewsonic has an LCD monitor with a 3-5ms response time, but it's expensive.

I don't plan on going the LCD route. I can't figure out what a good contrast ratio is, and I've heard that CRTs are better with color. LCDs are also more expensive than good CRTs as far as I can tell. They're big, but that isn't a problem for me right now.
    OK, well CRTs are becoming quite rare, unfortunately. Viewsonic is one brand I know of who still makes them that are good. You may also be able to find some Dell or HP monitors that are just relabled Viewsonics. If you can get a Trinitron, you'll be very happy, but I don't think they're made anymore.
  • I got Viewsonic A91F+, works good but it is old school CRT. got it for 220.00.. 19" (18.0" viewable). Mode button in front for Text, Games and Movies. In my opinion nothing beats a good fat ass CRT.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Samsung. Samsung 997DF ~ $200. perfection. VICTORY.
    Don't forget when comparing prices that a 17" LCD = 19" CRT for viewable area.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    I will be shopping for a ~17" LCD monitor and 8 port KVM switch box here soon.

Any recommendations and places to buy said recommendations?
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by MT [/i]
    [B]Viewsonic has an LCD monitor with a 3-5ms response time, but it's expensive.

I don't plan on going the LCD route. I can't figure out what a good contrast ratio is, and I've heard that CRTs are better with color. LCDs are also more expensive than good CRTs as far as I can tell. They're big, but that isn't a problem for me right now. [/B][/QUOTE]

CRTs are only better with color than LCDs if the LCD uses six bit sub-pixels. This only gives you the equivalent of 18 bit color and they try and use blending to make the full 24 bit spectrum.

An LCD with 8 bit sub-pixels should give just as good color representation as a CRT.

With response time you really have to dig and try and find the gray to gray measurment. Advertised times are usually TrTf which sarts at one end of the spectrum and goes all the way to the end and back again. this does not take as much presision and so goes faster, however, most color transitions are not black to white to black, they are somewhere in between to somewhere in between.I think i read somewhere on anandtech.com that less than 20 ms g2g will be sufficient for high end gaming.

The problem of course being that an 8 bit display with a < 20ms Gray2Gray is going to be
    a. very hard to find
    b. very expensive.
    CRTs actually do have better colour than LCDs in some cases; namely representing black. :)
    Yes, but CRTs kill my head (as in I get a headache looking at anything less than 75hz usually).

Also, CRTs have stopped being improved. They are now stuck at the tech level they've been at for a couple of years becuase all new development is going toward LCDs, Plasmas, DLPs, and new tech types.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]CRTs actually do have better colour than LCDs in some cases; namely representing black. :) [/B][/QUOTE]

Thats very true, i did forget that detail. Though i have been evaluating some LCDs at work with very respectable black
    For near perfection, anything manufactured/sold by apple is likely to be fantastic, and anything under the LaCie brand is pretty much gold.
    I believe the Apple LCDs are manufactured by Samsung
    The display elements vary from one to another, with samsung being a manufacturer of some and NEC/Mitsubishi providing others. But the point for stating apple as a brand is that their LCDs must meet certain capability requirements to exist in the first place under the apple logo. i.e. "thou shalt not suck" and "thou shalt adequately represent the color black"
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    Well got a KDS 17" LCD to use as a secondary monitor. Got to locate a good 8 port KVM switch now.

Iogear and D-Link seem to have some good models. Anyone have any other recomendations?