Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

No new BSG until October - may move to NBC

croxiscroxis I am the walrus
[url]http://bitsofnews.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3448[/url]

Comments

• Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    If true I hope this doesn't lead to meddling with the show!
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    Me thinks I'm going to be disappointed at not only the 90 minute finale, but the rest of the show from here on out...

:(
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    Don't say that JackN! Don't tempt the Gods! :D
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Falcon1 [/i]
    [B]Don't say that JackN! Don't tempt the Gods! :D [/B][/QUOTE]

Too late...

I read some of the spoilers...

:s
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    This isn't a bad thing. It's just changing the venue from the SciFi channel to something with a tangibly larger audience. I doubt anything will change from the move other than the place where you could watch it. Though I think the loss of BSG will hurt SciFi more than anything else. They are desperate for hits that can bring in new viewers...and Stargate certainly isn't working for them right now.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    They could fund my series and that would be popular...hopefully :)

Worf
    If they had kept Exposure around for longer than it was, I imagine you would have had a perfect outlet for your show through it.

(For those not in-the-know, Exposure was a show airing on the Scifi Channel featuring as many short films and independent works as was possible in an hour)

Lots of stuff got started through it, and given the growing popularity of machinma and independent filmmaking, it's quite likely that they would have a real winner on their hand. But due to poor advertising (none at all) and a horrible host, the show failed to gain any real attention. But they had a lot of really good shorts on it.
  • ArethusaArethusa Universal Cathode
    I think I remember catching that once. At least the two shorts I remember were very good.

If NBC hurts Battlestar or tarts it up somehow to compete with mainstream shit, I will never forgive them.
    Don't forget that NBC (used to?) air it in syndication, and that NBC Universal has owned it since day one. I doubt they'll do anything to it, as nothing is really changing.
  • Vorlons in my HeadVorlons in my Head The Vorlons told me to.
    Ehm, link appears dead. Anyway, I heard that the NBC thing is just a fake rumor. Its not going to leave sci-fi. No big deal on the date change, however moving the show to NBC would be VERY BAD news for the show. BSG doesn't have the ratings to stay on one of the big networks. On Sci-Fi it can probably hang on for 8 more seasons at its current level but networks like NBC will axe shows like this just because they dip a tenth of a point in one week. These people do not care or appreciate any of the shows. If fact I'm sure the only reason they are considering taking over the show is because of its critical acclaim. Had they aired it from the beginning it could have been an incredible hit but its already two seasons into the story and unlikely to draw in any more viewers than its current base. The only people who will watch it are the same ones watching it on sci-fi. The only way it could possibly work is if they start an onslought of re-airing the first two seasons and min series during PRIMETIME hours, not saturday nights like they tried and failed miserably. Its the only way they can hope to draw in enough viewers for it to survive. Also, sci-fi needs to change the airdates to any other day other than friday. The last place you will usually find people on a Friday night is in front of their TV. Every new season I need to sacrifice the first few hours of a friday night for ten weeks to stay home and watch. :D
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Considering the un-modified ratings for BSG was equal to that of Enterprise I'm quite sure it would do alright if it did move.
    I don't know if I need to point out that Enterprise was cancelled due to poor ratings... ;)
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    As there are fewer cable suscribers than normal broadcast the ratings for cable stations are modified to make them comparable, however the RAW viewershipw as equal to that of Enterprise, so in theory BSG would have much higher ratings than enterprise did.
  • MTMT Ranger
    October instead of July? That makes me happy. With luck, I'll be out of the country in July, and back well before the new season begins.
    Considering where the show just went, I'm less skeptical of the show being pushed back. This has got to be a good thing.
    The good thing about it being pulled back is that it should give them more time to edit and film. Hopefully it will require no midseason break as was required to finish the second half of this season. They were cutting it pretty close there for a while. The midseason break was a pretty bad blow for ratings for all three shows. It really loses momentum and takes people a while to get back onboard.
  • RickRick Sector 14 Studios
    I doubt the move to NBC. That's just speculation. I believe that they know the lnogevity and market for the show rests squarely in SciFi's demographics, and the ratings, while good for a SciFi production, are abysmal if taken in context with Broadcats Network TV.

Additionally, SciFi seems Vehiment about a fall return to the channel, so unless that story changes, it's probably not going to happen.

Granted, we've all seen dumber things, but...

-R.
    Anyone notice the big NBC Universal logo at the end of the finale? They've never done that before. My guess would be it's being considered.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    (SPOILER WARNING, for those that haven't seen the season finale, don't click on the link!!!)

[URL=http://www.nowplayingmag.com/content/view/3300/2/]http://www.nowplayingmag.com/content/view/3300/2/[/URL]

An interview with RDM and his plans for season 3, interesting read.

Trivia: Did you know he killed Capt. Kirk in Star Trek: Generations? No wonder he's got some special reputation in the business and why some good characters had to die in BSG so far.
  • RickRick Sector 14 Studios
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Arethusa [/i]
    [B]Anyone notice the big NBC Universal logo at the end of the finale? They've never done that before. My guess would be it's being considered. [/B][/QUOTE]

I dunno where you're watching, but NBC-Universal splash has been there since Season 1. the SkyOne version *may* not have had it. Most ppl miss it because they shut off or "tune out" after the RDM "cartoon" at the end.

-R.
    Strange. I know I've never seen it before, but, admittedly, I've only been watching on tv since episode 14. Maybe some regional brodcast difference? I may've not noticed it, too.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Stingray [/i]
    [B](SPOILER WARNING, for those that haven't seen the season finale, don't click on the link!!!)

[URL=http://www.nowplayingmag.com/content/view/3300/2/]http://www.nowplayingmag.com/content/view/3300/2/[/URL]

An interview with RDM and his plans for season 3, interesting read. [/B][/QUOTE]

Wow... Looks like I might be right about Baltar to some extent...

I'm happy about the 4-5 episode comment too...

:)
    Seems like its official now. Thanks to the later start date there will be no midseason break in S3. All 20 eps in a row. 8 of the first scripts are already done so it seems they are well ahead.
    I'm still enourmously unhappy about 20 episodes instead of 13.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Arethusa [/i]
    [B]I'm still enourmously unhappy about 20 episodes instead of 13. [/B][/QUOTE]

Not everybody can do a "George Lucas," six movies in 30 years. :D

I don't know, most shows stick to this kind of structure and there are other considerations besides quality I'm afraid.
    But just becaust most shows do it doesn't mean BSG should. BSG clearly suffered in S2 due to a *lack* of actual content due to the nearly doubled production schedule.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    There is a British series called [URL=http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/spooks/]Spooks[/URL] .

Season 1 had 6 episodes, season 2-4 had 10 and season 5 will most likely be the same.

It takes them almost a year to produce a season as well but as a result, the show has managed to keep a high level of quality even with major cast changes (usually the bane of any series).

Worf