Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Things fall apart...

Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
So 2 days ago, all is happy and healthy, then my wife goes in for a routine checkup, during the course of which, the doctor informs her, that she "found something" A small lump on her thyroid.

Today, we went to the hospital for an ultrasound, of course the tech isn't very helpful, as she takes images of the mass and we ask questions its "well, i only take the images, so i can't really say anything" Boy, THAT makes one feel good.

after an hour of ultrasounds she goes off to have a radiologist read the images, but he's not in, so he'll get to the images and we shoudl hear back from the doctor by monday..

So we go out to get some thigns done, come back and there is a message ont he machine from her doctor, who says that she needs to go see another doctor tomorow and have an FNA (Fine Needle Aspiration, basically a Biopsy)

wow things can go to shit fast...

Comments

• BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Re: Things fall apart...

That's really not too good. :( Here's hoping they caught it fast enough.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Entil'Zha [/i]
    [B]Today, we went to the hospital for an ultrasound, of course the tech isn't very helpful, as she takes images of the mass and we ask questions its "well, i only take the images, so i can't really say anything" Boy, THAT makes one feel good. [/B][/QUOTE]

In all seriousness, she probably didn't want to say anything for fear that it would be taken as actual medical advice and she'd risk getting sued. There may even have been instructions from on high to that effect. I'd have probably responded in the same way. Still, not particularly helpful and she could at least have tried to put you at ease.
  • maxdamagemaxdamage Earthforce Officer
    I hope you and your wife are okay and that the biopsy finds nothing seriously wrong with her.

maxdamage
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    *hugs*
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    From what i've read its actually pretty common, most times its Benign or a Cyst, and even if it is cancerous, its treatable, so we shall find out.

She's pretty calm about it, i'm a nervous wreck. The biopsy is tomorow afternoon, so some more waiting to go.

thanks for the support guys.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    as sanfam said, they probably didnt want to say one way or another for fear of being sued.

im sure everything will turn out ok tho!
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ShadowDancer [/i]
    [B]as sanfam said, they probably didnt want to say one way or another for fear of being sued.

im sure everything will turn out ok tho! [/B][/QUOTE]

Oh i know the reason she said it, i just hate the WAY she said it, i've always hated how they do that, even if i know the reasons.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ShadowDancer [/i]
    [B]as [b]sanfam[/b] said[/B][/QUOTE]

I kill you!
  • ArikArik Galen's Apprentice
    Sorry to hear that, and I really do hope everything works out.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    There is cause to worry though when it's on the Thyroid. As everyone else has said, I hope it turns out benign...

Or if it is some form of Cancerous Lymphoma that it turns out to be stage one where you can remove it and move on with life.

;)
  • TycoTyco Ranger Texas
    I hope everything turns out alright... my thought are with you two.
  • ArethusaArethusa Universal Cathode
    Same here. Godspeed.
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Yes, you have our support. Take care.
  • AnlaShokAnlaShok Democrat From Hell
    My wife had the same thing about a year ago. Turned out to be cystic in nature, and it eventually went away with no more treatment needed.

The "I just take the pictures" statement is a legal thing. Since the ultrasound tech does not have the certifications needed to make the diagnosis, saying anything at all would be on very bad legal ground if the statement turned out to be wrong.

Thyroid cancer, from what we were told by the doctors is very rare and these things turn out to be benign almost all of the time.

I certainly hope this is one of them.
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    Our prayers are with you...

Jake
  • CurZCurZ Resident Hippy
    Hope it turns out to be nothing. The waiting game sucks.
    Yeah, the waiting part is the suck, once we know one way or the other, then we can plan for what to do next, but for the past 3 days we've just been in Limbo,

Well you know what Tom Petty said, "The Waiting is the hardest part"
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]I kill you! [/B][/QUOTE]

meh thats what happens when you post when drunk:p :D
  • RhettRhett (Not even a monkey)
    Good luck to your wife, you will both be in my thoughts
    Just an FYI, We just got back from the Biopsy, unfortunatley they wont be able to send the labs out until monday, which could actually be a good sign, as the Doctor and Radiologist didnt see enough to have the labs rushed.

the Doctor didnt feel anything in the lymph nodes, now its just more waiting until we find out the results of the Biopsy, then craft a plan of action. if its one type of Nodule, they reccoment waiting to see if it goes away on its own, if its another, they'll have to operate...

so, back to the waiting....
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Well that is very good it hasn't spread through the lymphatic system - at least at a noticable level.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by croxis [/i]
    [B]Well that is very good it hasn't spread through the lymphatic system - at least at a noticable level. [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm also pretty sure they didnt see anything in the lymphatic system on the Ultrasound as well, if the biopsy comes back positive, i'm sure they'll want to do a CT scan to check for spread just to be sure.

I'm just glad i convinced her to get insurance through work for just her, thats the good news, the bad is, she was planning on leaving that job april 4th, she's already given notice, so as of april 4th, no insurance... Perfect timing eh?

Is it too early to start drinking?
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Entil'Zha [/i]
    [B]I'm also pretty sure they didnt see anything in the lymphatic system on the Ultrasound as well, if the biopsy comes back positive, i'm sure they'll want to do a CT scan to check for spread just to be sure.

I'm just glad i convinced her to get insurance through work for just her, thats the good news, the bad is, she was planning on leaving that job april 4th, she's already given notice, so as of april 4th, no insurance... Perfect timing eh?

Is it too early to start drinking? [/B][/QUOTE]

She should be able to continue for a bit using Cobra. But it means paying the premiums yourself.

:(
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by JackN [/i]
    [B]She should be able to continue for a bit using Cobra. But it means paying the premiums yourself.

:( [/B][/QUOTE]

the last 2 times we looked at cobra, it was more expensive than private insurance. luckily, Maine has a pretty good low cost/no cost health insurance plan, (not as good as New York's, but pretty good) that i'm pretty sure we qualify for.

so we'll have to see what happens.
  • AlaricAlaric Damn kids! Get off my island!
    I hope that this turns out to be nothing more than a nasty scare.

Best wishes to you both.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Alaric [/i]
    [B]I hope that this turns out to be nothing more than a nasty scare.

Best wishes to you both. [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks, i appreciate it
    Just thought i'd give an update,

we got the results of the Biopsy back, and they are inconclusive, which means that the only course of action is to remove the tumor and do a full biopsy,

We're waiting on a Calcitonin level to come back to see if its a particular type of cancer (Medullary Thyroid Carcinoma) the 3rd most common, but most agressive, of the major thyroid cancers,

If the Calcitonin levels come back normal or low, then its most likely Follicular or Papillary, and they can do a partial Thyroidectomy, just taking out one lobe, or a subtotal thyroidectomy, which is removing 3/4ths and just leaving one lobe.

If its Medullary they need to do a total thyroidectomy.

I'm also trying to find out more information on another front, I just read recently, that there have been a number of cancers popping up in relation to 9/11, including some Thyroid Cancers, and my wife was exposed to Ground Zero for 2 months after 9/11 as she worked in lower manhattan a couple blocks away. but YOU try finding any solid information on that, sheesh.

anyway, At this point, its still a waiting game, waiting for the bloodwork to come back, Our doctor says his gut feeling is that its not Cancer. but i'm a glass 1/2 empty kinda person, so that doesn't make me feel a whole lot better.
  • Data CrystalData Crystal Pencil Artist
    I'm sure that I speak for everyone when I say that the thoughts and prayers of everyone here are with you on this one.
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Yes. Were here for you.
  • PJHPJH The Lovely Thing
    Best of luck to you and I hope it all turns good.

- PJH
    UPDATE

Ok, time for an Update,

She had the Surgury 3 days ago, they took out almost all her Thyroid, about a 3 hour procedure, during which they found a 2nd lump nodule on the other side of the thyroid.

The surgury went well, they got it all out just fine, so thats the good news.

The bad is that the Pathologist found Cancer cells in the postop biopsy, they are waiting for another pathology report for the final verdict, so we should know by thursday. Oh what fun.