Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Space games

Pixel_DonkeyPixel_Donkey Earthforce Officer
Can anyone recomend any good space sim games? I've played Freelancer and X2. Has anyone here played Nexus etc?

Comments

• Nexus is pretty good. I haven't had time to play it very much though.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    if you can get your hands on it, Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos was a brilliant game. its a good few years old now tho, but the graphics are still pretty good, and the game play is awesome. theres also a very active community out there producing mods, including Buda 5 which does B5 mods
  • Pixel_DonkeyPixel_Donkey Earthforce Officer
    From the look of your site your screenshots look great. I am used to playing Freelancer and your screenshots look even better.

What is the gameplay like? I believe its all single player?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ShadowDancer [/i]
    [B]if you can get your hands on it, Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos was a brilliant game. [/B][/QUOTE]

I've just bought it off ebay. I look forward to playing it :D
  • Space GhostSpace Ghost Elite Ranger
    I just bought I-War 2 off of Amazon for $5.27 (shipping included). What a great game!

Of course, [URL=http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/board,50.0.html]Freespace 2[/URL] is still being tweaked and can be downloaded for free with massive upgrades to graphics, sound, etc.

[URL=http://scp.indiegames.us/download.php]Here is where you can get many of the files you will need.[/URL]
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    [url]http://forums.firstones.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8953[/url]

Wierd Worlds..
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I'm still quite fond of freelancer. I found myself picking it up and playing it again less than a month back, having a bit of multiplayer fun with my old roomates. It's no hardcore flight sim, but it fills the desire to wander, trade, and just plain blow stuff up.

Of course, one of the biggest upgrades for me was finding a good mod. Most of the ones out there are just rediculous, "Balancing" the game simply by adding bigger and more powerful ships...ships that do not mesh well with the stock designs (or are just plain awful).
    I couldn't find a download for weird worlds.

I love non linear gaming, especially space gaming which is one of the reason I bought Independence War 2.

Freelancer is good, i've started playing a mod for freelancer called TNG, im only playing it because I want a Sharlin.
  • Reaver4kReaver4k Trainee in training
    EVE-Online
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    [URL=http://download.shrapnelgames.com/downloads/weirdworlds_demo.exe]Wierd Worlds Demo[/URL]
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    [URL=http://www.shrapnelcommunity.com/threads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=404757&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1]Battlestar Galactica Mod[/URL] for Weird Worlds.

Worf
    I'll check out weird worlds soon thanks guys.

Independence War 2 arrived in the post this morning :)
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Space Ghost [/i]
    [B]I just bought I-War 2 off of Amazon for $5.27 (shipping included). What a great game![/URL] [/B][/QUOTE]

I paid slightly more @$5.99 plus tax back in CA for my copy from CompUSA. Problem for me is to play it on any of my machines.

One day I'll get back to it and work that out, but for now I have more important things to deal with.

:)
  • Space GhostSpace Ghost Elite Ranger
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by JackN [/i]
    [B]One day I'll get back to it and work that out, but for now I have more important things to deal with.

:) [/B][/QUOTE]

Fortunately, I don't. :) It's my last month as an undergrad and I'm just coasting through... :D
  • ArethusaArethusa Universal Cathode
    I didn't like IWar2 as much as I thought I would. The freeform stuff is initially interesting, but it doesn't take long to realize that it's actually not freeform at all. The missions are maddeningly scripted, and the design is generally terrible: no thought is required, and all you have to do is exactly what the designer intended (or you die). There's absolutely no dramatic tension basically at any point, and the voice acting and writing are generally terrible. Really, I felt it sabotaged what little future realistic space combat and freeform games had.
  • MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ShadowDancer [/i]
    [B]if you can get your hands on it, Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos was a brilliant game. its a good few years old now tho, but the graphics are still pretty good, and the game play is awesome. theres also a very active community out there producing mods, including Buda 5 which does B5 mods [/B][/QUOTE]

Excellent game!
  • MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Arethusa [/i]
    [B]I didn't like IWar2 as much as I thought I would. The freeform stuff is initially interesting, but it doesn't take long to realize that it's actually not freeform at all. The missions are maddeningly scripted, and the design is generally terrible: no thought is required, and all you have to do is exactly what the designer intended (or you die). There's absolutely no dramatic tension basically at any point, and the voice acting and writing are generally terrible. Really, I felt it sabotaged what little future realistic space combat and freeform games had. [/B][/QUOTE]

I love scripted linear games and hate freeform. When I want to play a game, I want to follow a story!
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    The original Independence War was definitely the better of the 2. I-War 2 suffered from being rushed into the shops; the ending the game has is very different to what the creators envisioned, and the gameplay was slimmed down as well.

still a great game tho. freelancer was always a bit disappointing to me, especially given how awesome starlancer was