Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Proposal for any and all B5-related sites, webmasters...

Hi there. I'm Sanfam, Administrator/Webmaster and Tyrant Overlord of FirstOnes.com, and I am presenting the B5 community with a unique offer.

We're a dying breed. Babyon 5 fans, that is. There's no doubt about it. The Babylon 5 universe has ceased expanding beyond its initial run. And with it being off the air for so long, we are left with a community who, while consisting of members who have very close ties to one another, are small in number. On top of this, Babylon 5 fansites are starting to be lost in the great void of the internet. Hosting plans and domains expire, and their webmasters move on, either not remembering or no longer caring for their content to pay for it to stay up. I come to you with an offer:

I want to host your sites. With the fairly recent demise of TP2B.de, we lost one of the more famous fansites associated with the B5 universe. What I would like to do is set up a system where I could either store a mirrored copy of your site, or simply offer a more permanent form of hosting. Keep in mind that the site would have to be B5 related, and may not contain any material not permissible by law in the United States of America (where the server hosting this site is located).

I've always felt this site was about the community, and so now it's time to expand its reach a bit. By hosting sites locally and at [i]no cost[/i] (though, donations would be graciously accepted...as always), I offer up a chance to help stabilize the B5 fanbase and tighten the circle just a bit. Many of us started with sites hosted on Geocities, Tripod, etc. and moved on to better hosting. However, not everyone did, and these sites are in constant danger of falling off of the face of the internet.

If you are interested, please send me an email at the below address
siteadmin at firstones dot com (will establish a form in the near future...I just want to keep this as spam-free as possible right now)

Remember, this goes to anybody with a B5 site anywhere. If you did decide to move your site over here, you would be given a folder within [url]http://archive.firstones.com/[/url] and exclusive FTP access to said location (though if your site was/is large enough, we could talk and arrange a subdomain...but keeping it under archive.org is preferrable for the purposes of this endeavour).

Once again, that email address is siteadmin at firstones dot com. If you have any questions, either send me an email or post to the comments page in this news item.

Please spread this news around. Actually, if anyone could get in touch with former webmaster of TB2B.de and have him contact me on the address provided, that would be fantastic.

Comments

• AggamemnonAggamemnon Earthforce Officer
    This is a fantastic idea.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I thought I'd post up the link of our first official signee:
    [url=http://archive.firstones.com/agasnd/]Agamemnon's Babylon 5 Sound Site[/url]

I'm still converting the links, but it will soon be functional.
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Great Idea!
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Sweetness. I suggest creating an archive index page and a prodominant link to it on the front page.
    In brainstorming for archive presentation, I came up with the neat idea of having a randomly selected page be featured on a 50x20 or so bar on the nav region. Something large and noticable, and different on each visit. This in addition to a link to the index page, that is.
    Here is a not very well thought out idea: Bringing the wiki to the front page and archive, mods, news, and recent forum posts could all be presented there.
    I don't think that idea would best serve our interests. The wiki could possibly be modified for it, but right off, it's not suited for that variety of navigation.
    Still, i think some kind of universal nav bar would be useful to bring the site together. I'll see what I can congure up oncve i get all these bloody papers done
    One day, I really need to give the whole site a revamp. It was built way before I had any skill, and now it's just years upon years of upgrades being shoved into the old shell. The thing is a horrible example of code in every respect. As an example of basic HTML, it's awful. One day...
  • [b]Sanfam[/b]

Ranger1 has posted your proposal at JMSnews.
    [url]http://jmsnews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1249[/url]

As a suggestion, if this proposal was posted in the usenet group it would reach even more people.

Great generous idea, hope it gets a good response.
  • Why can't people leave my name alone...:p
  • RhettRhett (Not even a monkey)
    I know I'm a little late here, but just wanted to say I think its a great idea!
  • Cool

:)

Nice idea! B5 Community dies a little every day, but people like Sanfam, create a better future :laugh:
  • mambo_mordenmambo_morden Earthforce Officer
    I too tried to get ahold of whoever ran The Place 2 Be to try and recover whatever files possible but to this day haven't had any luck. There was alot of good stuff on that site and it's too bad its gone.

Ever since it disappeared mesh downloads on third-space have skyrocketed... so there's people out there searching for them. third-space has racked up around 65,000 downloads since it's gone up...

Glad you're taking the initiative here... someone's gotta have an archive.
    I actually *DID,* for a short while, get in contact with the guy. Specifically, he contacted me. But I have yet to receive a response from anything sent then-forward.

Oh, and if you're ever interested in joining up... ;)

(C'mon...you know you want to! You do! I know it! I see it in your eyes!)