Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Possible OFFICIAL Babylon 5 Game?

[url=http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com]Aint-It-Cool-News[/url] had this little tidbit in their report of JMS's comments from the San Diego Comic Con:

[quote]The other tidbit dealt with the question will there be a B5 computer game soon? Jms said he could not talk about it now, but that in two weeks expect something big to be announced. He hinted that if you ever wanted to live in the B5 universe, you might get your chance. Now, either thats a super holobrothel or a MMORPG. Im hoping for the former.[/quote]

Take this info with a grain of salt. It's a bit cryptic, and it's paraphrased by a fan at the con, but it's interesting nonetheless.

You can see the full article [url=http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=23963]here[/url].

Comments

• ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    so thats The Lost Tales [i]and[/i] a possible game :eek: i dont know if i can deal with all this! not used to so much happening all at once!

any game would be very cool, especially an mmorpg. but again im not gonna get my hopes up until i have it installed on my computer
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    He better not break my heart again.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    I guess we'll find out in a week.

Worf
  • Sigma13Sigma13 Earthforce Officer
    Call me a pessimist, but i belive it when i see it. Still, its good to have a little hope.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    But I don't [i]want[/i] an MMORPG! I want a space sim!
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    Seconded. Hell, I want [i]any[/i] space sim. I can't even play the old ones, since they don't work under Classic. I'll never know how "TIE Fighter" ends. :p
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    I want a program where i can plug my brain in and it creates a virtual reality based on what i want and i can do whatever i want in there :D
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    That would be good. Start programming it!

Also, if this is a MMORPG, it's possible to live that life long dream of being a level 12 Spoo Farmer :D

Worf
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    it occurs to me that if it is an mmorpg it would have to incorparate a significant amount of flight simming or tactical starship combat anyway, as such endeavours are vital to the b5 story and theres not much ground combat. i wonder if you could do boarding actions?:D
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by WORF [/i]
    [B]That would be good. Start programming it!

Also, if this is a MMORPG, it's possible to live that life long dream of being a level 12 Spoo Farmer :D

Worf [/B][/QUOTE]

No Way, i want to be a level 10 downbelow janitor.
  • TycoTyco Ranger Texas
    I wonder what sales would be like for this game. Babylon 5's been for the most part out of the spotlight for quite some time. I imagine there's quite a few old fans out there who would love to see this when they walk into EB Games, etc... and I could see Jerry Doyle speaking about this on his show, since his promo makes detailed mention of his role on the show.
    It really depends. There are two moodels currently for MMOG development -- the get as many users as fast as possible model (World of Warcraft), or starting with a small user base and slowly expanding from them (most other MMOG). The jury is still out on which is better. A B5 MMOG wouldn't survive with mass marketing, but I think it would thrive if it targets a niche market and works from there.
  • PSI-KILLERPSI-KILLER Needs help
    Lets not live the lie again. An offical game will never happen. All the mod work and original games have taken the place of what shouldve happened. Only when my 3D extreme pro is flying a starfury do I believe a game exists.
  • DarthCaligulaDarthCaligula Elite Ranger
    Though wouldn't everyone want to be telepaths and techno-mages?
    Like a WOW format. Yeah that would be cool, but don't get your hopes up. No disappointment if no excitment.
    But that aint living.

I hope its not like WoW
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by David of Mac [/i]
    [B]Seconded. Hell, I want [i]any[/i] space sim. I can't even play the old ones, since they don't work under Classic. I'll never know how "TIE Fighter" ends. :p [/B][/QUOTE]

You'll get your wish in a couple weeks

....Beyond the Red Line single/multiplayer demo coming very soon!!!

Oh yeah, I'm excited about the news of possibly new B5 goodness!! I'm not keen on an MMORPG, BUT the Lost Tales sounds promissing...and that WB is actually finally telling JMS 'okay' on certain points is promising!!
    Yes, but will it work with the not-quite-finished Mac port of Freespace?

Seriously, I have no idea. Odds are I'll download it anyway just to scavenge sound effects, though.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by David of Mac [/i]
    [B]Yes, but will it work with the not-quite-finished Mac port of Freespace?

Seriously, I have no idea. Odds are I'll download it anyway just to scavenge sound effects, though. [/B][/QUOTE]

Stand-alone...aside from that, I'm not too sure about Mac compatibility:( drop by the game-warden forums, I'm sure someone there knows better than I do.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Tyco [/i]
    [B]I wonder what sales would be like for this game. Babylon 5's been for the most part out of the spotlight for quite some time. I imagine there's quite a few old fans out there who would love to see this when they walk into EB Games, etc... and I could see Jerry Doyle speaking about this on his show, since his promo makes detailed mention of his role on the show. [/B][/QUOTE]

WEll, i dont know what kind of an indication about sales, or fanbase, BUT... up at my local samsclub, here in MOFN Maine (thats Middle of Fscking nowhere) they got the season series on DVD, and everything except season 5 sold out in about 2 days. season 5 in about a week.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    Even though a space sim would be nice, I doubt they'll go down that route. Space sims are still niche products and are hard to sell even though there isn't much competition in that market bracket right now.

As I've said, I'd love to see a B5 FPS game set on the B5 station or on places throughout the B5 universe, like on Narn, Centauri Prime or Minbar. Personally I don't seem to tire so quickly of FPS games because there are so many different things that can be done with those engines nowadays, be it shooters, sneakers or combinations thereof.

A TBS or RTS game would be nice even though the market has been flooded with those types of games, so the game would have to really stand out to have a chance at becoming a success.

A B5 RPG (along with a FPS) game is probably most likely to come out, that would be IMHO the most promising format that would sell and make losts of cash. The question that remains, is it going to be MMO or single player. Will it be like WoW, GuildWars or BattleField 2 or Unreal Turnament with RPG elements.

If JMS is going to be directly involved I suppose there's going to be some sort of story behind the game, so a plain FPS game is less likely, or perhaps something along the line of Deus Ex or Splinter Cell.

Anyway, that opens up a lot of possibilities.
    My wife mentioned something to me this morning, when i was talking about this with her, she said "Why do you assume its a game..."

JMS ...hinted that if you ever wanted to live in the B5 universe, you might get your chance. "

Well, what if it was something more along the lines of "Star Trek : The Experience" in Vegas?
    Yeah prostitution is rampent in Vegas too it would feel like B5 down below. (dumb joke)
  • DarthCaligulaDarthCaligula Elite Ranger
    Drugs. Drugs specially designed to make you think you're on the Babylon 5 station.
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Entil'Zha [/i]
    [B]My wife mentioned something to me this morning, when i was talking about this with her, she said "Why do you assume its a game..."

JMS ...hinted that if you ever wanted to live in the B5 universe, you might get your chance. "

Well, what if it was something more along the lines of "Star Trek : The Experience" in Vegas? [/B][/QUOTE]

Oooh, or they are building the actual station in orbit??!!
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by DarthCaligula [/i]
    [B]Drugs. Drugs specially designed to make you think you're on the Babylon 5 station. [/B][/QUOTE] Oh, like that mass hallucination that [url=http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Serenity][i]Serenity[/i] was an actual movie.[/url]
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    Babylon 5: The Ride :D

I seriously doubt that... but I could be wrong.

I say, space them.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Messiah [/i]
    [B]Oooh, or they are building the actual station in orbit??!! [/B][/QUOTE]

Where do i buy my ticket?
  • MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
    "EVE: The Age of Babylon 5"

Would be cool....maybe...maybe not....I do not believe there is a market for a B5 online game in addition to EVE
    Right, Eve is targeting a very specific market. If it were to be a B5 mmog I could see it along the lines of Seed or the Star Trek mmog. We have to remember it takes years to develop a game, even longer for mmog because of all the content that needs to be made. We would probably see a demo (still waiting for the ITF one to slip out on the net....) in 2009.

It could the The Sims 3: Babylon 5