Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Archive milestone reached!

We've done it. We've reached our first milestone, and unintentionally passed the second.

We are now hosting [url=http://archive.firstones.com/tp2b/]Babylon 5: The Place To Be[/url], the site whose vanishing act was the sole driving force in motivating me to create the archive project. I must thank Holger for his willingness to transfer the site to here mostly-intact.

As for the second milestone...we also managed to pick up the recently deceased [url=http://archive.firstones.com/eon3d/]Eon3D[/url], Nadab's famous render showcase.

We're also hosting a number of other sites which may be of interest to you, including...
[url=http://archive.firstones.com/b5animations/]B5 Animations[/url]
[url=http://archive.firstones.com/keepb5alive/]Keep B5 Alive[/url]
[url=http://archive.firstones.com/agasnd/]Agamemnon's B5 Sound Site[/url]

Now, just because we've got a couple sites doesn't mean we're finished. I am looking for any and all B5 webmasters--new and old--who would be interested in having their site (whether it is alive or dead) mirrored under the archive project. If you know someone who runs, used to run, or is intending to run a B5 fansite, let them know about our project, have them drop me a line at [b]Site admin at firstones dot com[/b] (no spaces, replace the words with their symbols as needed). We're still looking for the webmasters of such sites as MusicOfB5 and Voice of the Resistance, and have had no luck contacting them. Any leads would be welcome.

Comments

• David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    Sweet.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Why is the Claudia page not there! I demand it back up!

Demand I say!
  • EclecticonautEclecticonaut Elite Ranger
    The TP2B link at the front page is wrong. And the ICQ number of The Music of Babylon 5 webmaster Adam G. Walter was #16907317 long ago, I hope he still uses it.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by croxis [/i]
    [B]Why is the Claudia page not there! I demand it back up!

Demand I say! [/B][/QUOTE]

Not that it's any of my business.... ;)

Though I was more disappointed with the lack of meshes. Even just the directory with the actual downloadable files removed would've been of use. It doesn't count as a tease, since I already had them all, and would just need it for credits when I forget the name/spelling of whoever made a given mesh.

Also, I found a section of Eon3D's Work-In-Progress page was missing.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    We're slowly working on things like that. Many of these pages were configured for old servers, or are composed of the backups the webmasters had on hand--which may or may not have contained everything. Things like the CC files were nixed for copyright reasons, so they won't return, but I'm really hoping we'll get the meshes back. I liked them. :P

Also, which section? There are a couple of bad links due to different naming and file handling conventions used on the various servers. Our host, for example, uses case sensitivity in filenames to its fullest.
    [url=http://archive.firstones.com/eon3d/Projects/Excalibur.htm]Here. The picture of the Excalibur mesh (which I damn near [i]bought[/i] Lightwave for ;) ) isn't there, and the link to the additional WIP pictures is dead.[/url]
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    Sanfam, the first 2 links (Babylon 5: The Place To Be, Eon3D) in your news message don't work on the front page, the URLs are different for some reason.

I still see no FPS B5 mod.... :(

I'm still itching to work on a mod that takes place inside the station.... :D

Faith manages, I guess.
    fixed front-page URL. will check out Eon3d later.
  • PSI-KILLERPSI-KILLER Needs help
    coooooool!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It's official. We have been able to revive the long-lost home of Babylon 5 music on the web, MusicOfB5. It can be found at one of two locations: [url]www.musicofbabylon5.com[/url] or [url]http://archive.firstones.com/musicofb5/[/url]

Thanks for the support on the project, everyone. We've made huge progress in such a short time!
    Fantastic! I always found it somewhat ironic that it was not until [i]after[/i] MusicOfB5 went down that mp3s stopped being a curiosity for me and started to be a primary way to enjoy music. :)
    *gets on his knees and worships*
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Good news Sanfam!

I was going to suggest VEX, but found out theyve made a new site..
    VEX?

Hey, I'm willing to host whoever wants to be hosted at this point. :p Though it'll probably have to wait until after the move for any more substantial sites.
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Voltaires Encyclopedia Xenobiologica. I was a big fan of it say nearly ten years ago, I think it was the same person who made the Babylon Park series, but Im not sure.
  • DarthCaligulaDarthCaligula Elite Ranger
    I want to see Babylon Park so much.
  • EclecticonautEclecticonaut Elite Ranger
    Me too, those cartoons rule!
  • TP2BTP2B Trainee
    Hi,

at first I would like to thank Sanfam for hosting all the B5 sites we know so long now.

I've read the comments regarding the missing meshes and Claudia Christian sections in my website and I would like to explain why I decided the remove these pages:

There were 2 main reasons for the CC sections.
    [list]
    [*]1st Playboy copyright concerns because the images were simple scans from the original magazine and I feared that there might by some kind of legal problem in the future
    [*]it's kind of a problem with such pictures and a webspace hoster located in the US when you can't check the age of the visitor
    [/list]
    The main reason for removing the mesh section is that most of the download links are not active any more. Many of the former B5 sites are gone or have moved to other locations and with them the mesh archives. I only had a small number of meshes directly hosted on my old site and so about 80% were linked to other resources.

In my opinion it doesn't make much sense to provide a download section where 80% of the files are missing.

Maybe there's a chance to get at least the most important meshes back to one download archive hosted here at firstones.com. With Eon3D back online there's a pretty good start to this project.

Is there any way to collect meshes or still active download links somewhere here?

BTW: The present VEX [URL=http://www.infinicorp.com/VEX/index.htm]is located here[/URL] (but I don't like this design. The old one was much better)
    Hi! Good to see you back :)

We tried to get a mod-co op project going with a central repository of meshes, textures, and the like: [url]http://forums.firstones.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=78[/url]

Perhaps it can be expanded to a central repository of all materials.

(Oh, and my coment on CC's pictures were a joke. In fact I don't think I ever looked at them)
    I see no reason why not. All I know for sure is that we've "Sorta" got two signees on the cooperation attempt, but nothing to show for it.
    I think it would help if we have some kind of software for it too ;)

I can't think of anything I've used that would accomodate what we need, except for a hybridization of svn and gallery1/2
    gallery is completely inadequate for our needs. Don't even see how it is in any way relevant. ;P
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    And what exactly are our needs for this? Mesh storage or such? That should be easy to set up...just an upload and a download script combined with an admin authorization script (you know, a "make sure it isn't a virus" type thing that just requires an admin to look at it).

Actually...

We might be able to do that through the wiki...

--RC
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    Great work guys!!!! Nice to know that Firstones is "the last best hope" for saving B5 on the web! :cool:

Its great you got Nadab's site, he has done some great stuff, really inspiring.

Just curious Sanfam will hosting these extra sites lead increased costs?
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Random Chaos [/i]
    [B]And what exactly are our needs for this? Mesh storage or such? That should be easy to set up...just an upload and a download script combined with an admin authorization script (you know, a "make sure it isn't a virus" type thing that just requires an admin to look at it).

Actually...

We might be able to do that through the wiki...

--RC [/B][/QUOTE]

We could do it through the wiki, but honestly, I would like it to be a seperate project. If anything, mods and such should have an independent "universe" to draw from, rather than potentially infringe upon the B5 canon we're trying to record in TGM.
  • JamboJambo Scriptkiddie
    When the idea for the mod-coop was around I messed about with some designs for it. The way I saw it you'd go to an index page, split into the sections (ships, planets, stations, backgrounds etc...). There would be sections to login (which I think would be wise for normal users to allow them to download models), register teams, upload models etc..

The models section contains all the relevant ships from B5, and for each ship a page with some blurb, a pic from the series, and all the models that have been uploaded for that ship. Each ship would have some info, LOD's, number of poly's, Team, screenshot, model format etc.

A team leader could register their team on the site, then register the other members of the team aswell (using the forums user db), then they, or anyone registered with the team, could upload models and it would be assigned to that team. Individuals could also upload models without having to be a member of any team. All models would have to be approved by a moderator, scanned for virus etc (although you could probably do the virus scanning with something like clam-av on the server).

Anyway, it never got off the ground did it, no one signed up.
    What if we just started it off as a mesh repository? A# has(had) meshes and textures on B5-blender. While the mod c-op functionality could be in place, we can start it off as one thing and expand from there.

Perhaps it could also be a place for some music as well? *dashes glance to Sanfam*
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    Should be strait forward to get a mod hosting location up and going. It's much more complex if we want to let ordinary users upload - with that comes the "make sure it isn't a virus or hack" mentality.
  • Congrats SF.
  • RambieRambie Earthforce Officer
    If you want them. I have a bunch of B5 3D models I got of the 'net years ago while working on the B5 MOD to Space Empires IV. These are mostly in lightwave and 3DStudio formats.

Some of them I got from The Place To Be and B5MG (called Beyond Babylon at the time) and some from other sites. If you're interested let me know. I'd hate to see the models disappear from the 'net too.

I didn't make any of the models, they were a labor of love of other fans and were all freely downloadable at one time. I believe I have the original ZIP files so the authors' contact info should still be available.