Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

SG-1 cancelled

WORFWORF The Burninator
Meh, Stargate SG-1 has been cancelled and will end with the season finale. Atlantis lives on and has been renewed for season 4.

What's annoying is this happens when things were picking up. The episode quality was getting better (especially 200!)

[URL=http://www.gateworld.net/news/2006/08/sci_fi_channel_confirms_isg-1i_c.shtml]Announcement[/URL]

With all the joking about how it should have ended before season, it still seems kinda sad that it's going to be over soon.

Worf

Comments

• BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Re: SG-1 cancelled

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by WORF [/i]
    [B]What's annoying is this happens when things were picking up. The episode quality was getting better (especially 200!)[/B][/QUOTE]

You speak as if they would have been able to maintain that quality into the next season.
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    They should just merge the two shows into "The Star-Gate!" and make 2-hour episodes each week....
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I agree with you Worf. There were some dire episodes in the last 2 seasons, but they were starting to become really good again. I even found Vala to be less annoying this season, which is really saying something! Robert Cooper is saying tho that it might go on some other way, so its probably not dead just yet.

Even back when I thought it was at its lowest point and said they should have cancelled it, Im now really sad to see it go. Sounds corny, but it did define an entire era in my life. So yeah if it doesnt come back, Im gonna be sad to see it go. At least Atlantis is continuing. I know some of you guys dont like it, but in recent seasons Ive found it to be far better than SG1; IMO its been on par with seasons 5 & 6 of SG1, its best seasons.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    It wasn't canceled, it was just not renewed for another season, and aparently MGM is looking for a new channel to pick it up.
  • Vorlons in my HeadVorlons in my Head The Vorlons told me to.
    They have alwlays hinted to the actors thay they'd like them to be available for both shows so in a way they will merge with atlantis but probably not in any way more than some random guest appearances. If they move the show to another channel that could hurt Atlantis as the show still requires SG-1 for some of its backstory. I'm sure it will be a lot harder if they are working for another channel. I saw it coming from the beginning. Usually seaon openers get the best ratings. When SG-1 opened this season to its worst ratings ever it was pretty clear the end is just around the corner. Atlantis is barely just doing well enough.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Vorlons in my Head [/i]Atlantis is barely just doing well enough. [/B][/QUOTE]

According to Sci-Fi, Atlantis gets much better ratings than SG-1, i've never seen Atlantis so i dunno what its like.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    Biggles: Who knows? They might have been able to?

ShadowDancer: That's it exactly.

Entil'Zha: I'd heard that about MGM, I was about to post it here but you beat me to it.

Worf
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I'm a bit sad, but given the torture that was S9, I can't say it wasn't expected. I mean, they outright alienated the audience by doing everything wrong...and it takes a lot to repair that. At the very least, SG-1 was looking up this season...but recovering the viewerbase is the hardest part. Whether or not they could succeed would need time...though I really was starting to like the two-hour crossoverable gatefest every friday. Perhaps if they did actually do two-hour episodes, it would be more effective.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Entil'Zha [/i]
    [B]According to Sci-Fi, Atlantis gets much better ratings than SG-1, i've never seen Atlantis so i dunno what its like. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah Atlantis has been edging out SG-1 in viewers for quite some time. Usually by not much more than a .1 or .2 percentage point but I guess that makes all the difference. Its clear both shows have been hurt by splitting them away from BSG and virtually non existing promotion for them. BSG wasn't doing too well towards the end of last season either so it will be interesting to see how well it starts. They did make up for it with outstanding itunes sales though. Maybe had they gotten SG-1 to be downloadable a bit earlier it would have helped.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sanfam [/i]
    [B] Perhaps if they did actually do two-hour episodes, it would be more effective. [/B][/QUOTE]

2 hours? ouch, that would be too drawn out. Like I said earlier. All they need to to is merge them. It works. Its been proven. After all its one story told in two shows which doesn't make much sense. The stargates have pretty small casts. As it is every actor gets too much screen time and the secondary characters tend to be a distant second. They can make it work with both casts and better distributing their screen time (barring any ego issues with the actors). Bringing the BSG example again, they have a huge cast with even more secondary characters that get about as much time as the primary ones and they pull it off very well. Stargate can do it. They might have to fire all the writers and find someone who can make it all work together but oh well... THe only thing is, if Sci Fi is dropping SG-1 they better leave the show to just end. Its had a good run. Moving it to another channel will almost certainly hurt both Atlantis and SG-1 as the stories will inevitably become incompatible being developed completely independently.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Err...clarification...two-hour episodes of the hybrid SG-1 Atlantis, possibly involving not only a standard A and B plot but a C plot involving both casts.

As for the background characters, that's one reason I've been increasingly fond of Atlantis. They've gone out of their way to do development of the background cast, even if only in bits and pieces in some episodes, but every single piece adds up to a more substantial product.
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    I think its kinda sad too but unevitable in the end. Sure the last few episodes have improved a lot but the writing was on the wall after season 9. But I have to say episode 200 was simply side splitting!! :D The last time I laughed that much and that hard at an SG1 episode was during the groundhog day ep back in season 4. 200 was truely a fantastic effort and they marked it superbly. Really impressed. And if they had ended the series on that note I would have felt pretty good about it.

[Spoiler] Seeing Teal'c as the Tin Man nearly gave me a hernia!![/Spoiler]

But at least its still open and there's a chance that the cast can pop up in Atlantis.

Now what I'd like to see if an episode with Carter having to deal with Mckay and Felger fighting over her. Would be a hoot! :D
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    Well... It's had it's run, I just hope they can wrap it up properly, I mean, hasn't Season 10 already been written? If so, will it be changed to fit, or just left at a cliffhanger. I don't know if the writers planned to wrap up the Ori story yet, or what...

Still, least we've still got Atlantis. Stargate might not be the best sci-fi show that's ever been, but it's one of the most entertaining shows on TV right now compared to all the "top model, big brother, who bought my house" trash. Bad or good episodes, SG makes a good chuckle.