Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

BSG - will it become better?

Alpha-1Alpha-1 Elite RangerGermany
Hi
watchet trouth almost all of season 1 last night. only 5 episodes left and i'm a bit dissapointed. can't understand the whole bsg-hype. the cgi are great but the rest? the episodes are slow and boring in my opinion. no tension there... nothing to compare with series like b5, lost, 24 or farscape... i have to say i don't know the old bsg series so its not my problem that they re-done bsg but therre is no joy to watch the episodes. gajus is REALLY anoing. every episode its the same with him... about the other carakters wwe don't leran so much. somehow i can't get warm / familiar with the caracters. ok i like adama a bit but the rest??? and the music is boring too all episodes the same....So will it be better in season 2? i know b5 was alos bad in season 1 but not that bad... and after all the hype about bsg i'm dissapointed..

Comments

• HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    How good is your English, and do you watch it dubbed or subtitled, or in English? But - It's not everyones taste. I love B5. I also love BSG, the gates, Farscape and the likes. Perhaps you need to watch it a little more before deciding if you like it. I can't believe you hate it or find it boring, your just going into it with too many expectations. But TBH not liking: Adama, the music, Baltar or the storyline is not looking good in your case. I guess your just a boring fart. Ok, well maybe not... But it's clearly not working for you.
  • Alpha-1Alpha-1 Elite Ranger Germany
    watchin it in english with german subtitles cause my english is not perfect. perhaps i should watch it all over in german after finishing season 1
    and heh, i'm not a boring fat !
  • The main difference between BSG and say B5 in my opinion is, that where B5 is about the saga, the story and the big picture, BSG is about the people. The little stories, little lives that make the big picture, not the other way around. Whether you like it or not is pretty much a matter of taste. I'm not a fan of drama shows at all, but if you put that same, real drama in an interesting environment (in comparison to a little town or say a hospital) it's a whole different duck.

You could say that BSG is more a person-centered drama than a science fiction series and if you want to, you can watch a good drama play out and forget that the science fiction part is there at all. It's about the little things, not the major outlines of the saga.

I've watched and own the pilot movie and both first seasons on DVD and what continually strikes me as uncanny, is the quality of acting in the series. I seriously speaking don't recall a single moment where the atmosphere would've gone down the drain or that I would've felt embarrassed due to some poor writing or bad acting... quite the contrary. Whereas B5 has more of those moments than I care to remember... it's a great series all in all, but definitely not without it's faults. Especially season one of B5 has some episodes that are terrible to watch... "Born To The Purple" being my least favourite. Embarrassment factors go through the roof. It's the feel of being there that counts, and in that BSG doesn't falter, at least not to me. BSG manages to maintain that constant suspension of disbelief that you need to get sucked in a show.

Let's say you've played the original Wing Commander, preferably parts 1 and 2 and loved it... the movie was one hell of a letdown, but BSG shows exactly how it should've been done.

The music seems to be something that divide people, but I like the drum-oriented style. It's simple, it's a bit crude at times, but it drives the point in. Big time.

And you have to give it up for Edward James Olmos. A little less-known actor but commands such charisma that it's bar almost none... comes pretty close to Sean Connery. Really great acting, there.

Also, there's one thing about the show that's also a good thing to bother your brain with. The Galactica has an outdated and a "used" feel to it, it being an old ship. Everything's simple, rugged, falling apart and everything new and shiny is nowhere to be found. If you think about it, wasn't the "Used Universe" one of the factors that made f.ex. the original Star Wars trilogy fascinating? That it had that "real" look? BSG has quite a lot of the same.

Anyhow, if you didn't like the first season, I'd say BSG is not for you. When I finished going through the first episode of the pilot, I ordered the whole pack and the first season on DVD the very same day. And when I made it throught the first season, I was howling for more. I actually spent the last sunday (having had a housewarmer the day before and some slight nausea) in bed watching 10 eps of BSG S2 in a row with a few repair bottles. Great stuff. Can't wait for Season 3 DVD's, although it's going to be a long wait.

So, S2 is pretty much same-ol' same-ol' with a few spicy twists, and it also has some appearances and some points of humour that make it very worthwile to watch, at least for me. I absolutely loved to see Quantum Leap's "Ziggy" as the ship's Priest when Chief needed some counselling...

"How do you know I'm not a Cylon?"
    "It's because I'm one and haven't seen you at the meetings." :D

Great stuff, kids.

Anyhoo... you either like it or you don't. Long story short. If you didn't like the first season, you should probably not try the second one either. It probably just isn't your cup of tea.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Data Crystal [/i]
    [B]I absolutely loved to see Quantum Leap's "Ziggy" as the ship's Priest when Chief needed some counselling...[/B][/QUOTE]

That was Al! Ziggy was the computer.
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]That was Al! Ziggy was the computer. [/B][/QUOTE]

Shocked gasp and looks of bewildered amusement.
  • :D All righty then, could be. It's been way more than a decade since I saw the show last, so I could be mistaken. ;)
  • To answer your question Alpha-1, yes it does become better the deeper you go into season 1. Season 2 is much better overall, save a few episodes (not to give anything away) that contribute little to the overall story.

Data Crystal: Biggles is right, Dean Stockwell played Al, not Ziggy, in Quantum Leap. Which, by the way, has a new made for tv movie coming up I think.
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    And they just started showing re-runs of it in Finland.. on wednesday night at 01:05... great slot for many viewers I bet.