Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

How did YOU hear about this ?

I was just sitting in front of my PC when a pal contacted me over ICQ :
He told me that planes crashed into WTC and the Pentagon was burning.
I asked him if he watched INDEPENDENCE DAY or MARS ATTACKS again. It just sounded too ridiculous.
But he insisted it was true and I should turn on TV.
Yeah , then I saw it. Half an hour later I run over to a shop in my street . Some didn't hear it yet and I asked them : " Do you know the WTC with the two big towers in New York ? " They nodded and I said " Not existant any more. They are both destroyed and the Pentagon is burning "
They smiled ... they didnt believe me of course. Well , They went home to check TV.

Comments

• I heard it from a mass ICQ, I thought it was a small civilian plane, until I followed the link to CNN.com
    at that exact moment, I got about 50 ICQ messages asking if I had heard. (Who knew so many people stayed invisible in ICQ?)

------------------
    [b]whitestar90: [/b]"it would give the computer a heartattack just looking at it" -
    [b]Sanfam: [/b]"And Drazi didn't like it one bit.-
    [b]Mr.Bungle: [/b][i]"So that's where the forum went..."[/i]-
    ---
    [b][i]ahhh, the good old days of HTML.[/i][/b]
  • I friend phoned me and told me to switch BBC1 on.

Cherio.

------------------
    Catapvltam habeo. Nisi pecvniam omnem mihi dabis, ad capvt tvvm saxvm immane mittam.
    Mater tva criceta fvit, et pater tvo redolvit bacarvm sambvcvs.

[This message has been edited by Shuup Nick (edited 09-12-2001).]
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    NPR, where I get all my news.
  • FaylornFaylorn Elite Ranger
    It was early in the morning, two hours after John Calahan's Quads and just a few seconds until Mork and Mindy; however, I started channel flipping... just then I saw one WTC Tower charred atop and billowing with smoke as the silhouette of a twin-engine plane flew right into the second. This was all live footage. All I could think and say was [i]holy ****in' sh*t...[/i] I was overrun by the surreal nature of what I had seen and could not stop watching. The first moment it started repeating footage I jumped at the computer and started this topic and jumped right back. As I watched, the WTC Tower B crumbled and I almost couldn't believe it, given in my mind it was a one-hundred ten story concrete fortress. I was even further shocked and saddened to see the WTC Tower A crumble only a few moments later, as it appeared the first plane had only crashed near the top. Horrible business...

------------------
    "Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats for a life time. But teach a man to BE a fish, and he can eat himself."
    --Dennis Miller, Dennis Miller Live
  • HavokHavok Earthforce Officer
    I was at work working on a persons PC when someone came in and said the WTC had been hit with a plane. I thought it was a small plane and an aviation accident. When I went into the break room for coffee, I watched the second plane hit live.

I was absolutly floored.
  • MelkorMelkor Elite Ranger
    I had a sneaking suscpicion, when the first bombing of the WTC failed, that someone would try again. When I heard about it on the news, my first impression was that it was an accident. "Small comuter/personal plane hits tower", were the first words that flashed into my mind. Then I remembered the failed bombing attempt. I knew then that this was no accident. And all I could think of was rage....anger...and an insane desire to shed the blood of those who are responcible.
  • shadow boxershadow boxer The Finger Painter & Master Ranter
    Hartsblade told me.. right after it happened, (I imagine he has Police channels to listen to)...right before he started to get ready... he was doing graveyard shift and he'd only just got home I assume.. and he was getting ready for the call up... Hartsblade is NYPD...
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    I was just sitting in the office next door talking to some work mates when a colleague rushed in with the news. We were all just stunned. It was then a mad scamble to try and get online to find out what had happened.

------------------
    'The future is all around us' G'kar
    'I have no surviving enemies! None what so ever!' Galen

Visit my B5 site at: [url="http://www.nialb5.com"]B5 site[/url].
  • I was toying around with my computer when I realised that it's time for news... And then I saw it... The second plane hit the other tower. I didn't understand yet what was happening... So I decided to watch - watch and again watch the news...
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    My sister was sitting in the other room and there was something wrong whit the TV, it had no sound! So she asked me what was wrong and I went to look but the news was on and they showed when the second plane crashed!
    OK it wasn't live, I saw it about 2h after the first crash.

------------------
    Born from silence, silence full of it
    A perfekt concert my best friend
    So much to live for, so much to die for
    If only my heart had a home
    -Nightwish:Dead boy's Poem-
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I was in school, just in the middle of third period, when someone ran in and said the WTC had been attacked. I arrived just in time to see the second tower crumble right in front of the camera. It was so horribly shocking.
  • I was lying in my bed, reading for my math A-levels. I heard we had our TV on, and that the news was starting it's broadcast. I heard my mother gasp about some headline, so I jumped out of bed, went to the livingroom and saw the footage of the other WTC building with a massive gaping hole. After that, I've been listening to the news a lot.

------------------
    Life is full of surprises. The ones reserved for me usually come wearing brass knuckles.
  • How did I hear about this?

Well, I was at the airport ready to fly. I heard about the first crach into the WTC building, and it was considered only an accident then. I was on the taxi way, almost to the runway, when ground control instructed me to taxi back to the apron because all flight have been suspended until further notice. When I got back into the flight ops building, all I could here was people talking about was that the white house and pentagon was on fire. Everything else I heard over the radio on the way back to the dorms and on tv while I was watching the news.

Hartsblade is NYPD? HAs anyone heard from him recently? Does anyone know if he's okay?

[This message has been edited by Canuck (edited 09-12-2001).]
  • ArikArik Galen's Apprentice
    Woke up Tuesday morning, 6:25 PST to the news.
    I have my TV set to turn on automatically to the news station every morning, and stay on for 30 mins. (it's my alternative to an alarm clock). Needless to say, I was glued to the TV and ended up coming in to work later than usual. I still can't quite grasp the reality of what happened.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I was sitting in the dining room eating my toast (I'm the first person in the family to get up every morning) when my mum came out and mumbled "You know the World Trade Center?". I muttered a reply, and she said "It's gone. Blown up by terrorists!"
    Of course, if it had been anyone other than my mum I wouldn't have believed them. So I numbly ate my toast (I did actually feel numb) while this sank in, then went and turned on the TV.

------------------
    [b][url="http://www.minbari.co.uk/log12.2263/"]Required reading[/url][/b]
    Never eat anything bigger than your own head.
    The Balance provides. The Balance protects.

"Nonono...Is not [i]Great[/i] Machine. Is...[i]Not[/i]-so-Great Machine. It make good snow cone though." - Zathras
  • It was horrible - one of my collegues in the agency suddenly called for us and turned on the live stream of CNN; that was when the second plane crashed into the other tower of the WTC and all of us saw it live from the CNN Cam on the Empire State Building. We couldn't believe it and some of us started criing - all were shocked and full of grief for the people who lost their lives or beloved.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    I woke up, it was about 8:30, i usually watch the daily sports news when i get up, they broke in with a report of a fire and explosion atop the WTC. so i put on the live coverage on local TV, They said that the report was a plane crashed into the tower, At which point we thought it was an accident, Then as we watched, the 2nd plane came into the frame and crashed into the 2nd tower, thats when we knew it was no accident, i watched for a while, then went outside to see if i could see the smoke, There was a plume of smoke and dust, a loud rumbling, when i came back inside the 1st tower was gone, we then watched in horror as we saw live, people leaping from the 80th floor, watching the camera follow them as they fell. It was the most horrific thing i've ever seen. then we watched live as the 2nd tower collapsed, and one of my favorite sites in My whole city was gone.

Needless to say, it has not been a fun couple days. I am enjoying it not at all.

------------------
    ..And so it Begins
  • TeflonatronTeflonatron Earthforce Officer
    I was at work, a coworker came in and informed me 'a' plane had hit the WTC (building 1). I followed him into our datacenter's command room (equiped with 6ft wide big screen TV's) and watched it unfold live.

We actually setup a conference room for those who wanted to watch the continuing news coverage.

It was especially scary here in D.C. when we heard there was a second plane en-route here, which turned out to be the plane that crased in Pennsylvania.

It's a bit erie at work, with no planes flying into/out of Dulles overhead all day long. :\
  • I was in chemistry class, second block. We were in the middle of going over scientific notation for the [i]nth[/i] time, when one of the math teachers knocked on the door. Mr. Kaufman walked out for five minutes, walked in, said that he would tell us what had happened when he was finished reviewing. He finished, and told us. At first we thought that some dolt had crashed a little cessna into the WTC, and one idiot even said 'cool.' But as things became clearer, the gravity of the situation began to sink in. We were all stunned, and just sat there listening as Mrs. Badger talked about it over the PA.
    My condolenses to those affected.
  • I heard it from a fellow workman who started latter than me. So after work when I got home it was straight onto CNN..
  • PsiCopPsiCop Earthforce Officer
    I set my alarm clock for 9:00AM. I was listening to Howard Stern, whom after a couple minutes of waking up starting talking about the first crash, seeing outside his window. At first I thought he was joking, until I turned on the TV to validate it.

------------------
    Trust the Corps
  • It was about midday and I was still asleep as usual, only someone calling long distance started waking me up. At first I ignored the phone, but the call came in again about 4 times, so I got up to answer it.

It was my brother calling me in Toronto from Ottawa. He told me to get the *$@& out of bed and turn on my TV, because "the United States [was] under attack!" His exact words. I had no idea what to make of that, but the way he was freaking out sure got my ass to the TV in a hurry.

Sorry if I sound cold but I wasn't as stunned or shocked as everyone else here. Guess the fact that my brain was still asleep and that my life was already pretty screwed up acted as an anasthetic [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/frown.gif[/img]

------------------
    There are 3 things in life I never forget: my friends, my enemies, and my access codes.
    Never put gasoline in a fire extinguisher.

"No government, no dictator can hold an imprisioned population by force of arms forever. There is no power in the universe greater than the need for freedom. Against this power, governments and tyrants and armies [i]cannot stand[/i]." - G'Kar, [i]The Long Twighlight Struggle[/i]

[url="http://www.globalserve.net/~archons"]www.globalserve.net/~archons[/url]
  • RhettRhett (Not even a monkey)
    I was getting ready for school when my dad called. Being a history teacher and a devoted watcher of CNBC (stock market channel) he told me to turn on the TV. He said that someone had flown two planes into the WTC. I couldn't believe it. I dont think anything sunk in until about 5th period. I couldn't believe that some asshole in my P.E. class said "who cares".
  • [quote]Originally posted by rhett:
    [b]I couldn't believe that some asshole in my P.E. class said "who cares".[/b][/quote]

And here I was thinking [i]my[/i] reaction was cold.

------------------
    There are 3 things in life I never forget: my friends, my enemies, and my access codes.
    Never put gasoline in a fire extinguisher.

"No government, no dictator can hold an imprisioned population by force of arms forever. There is no power in the universe greater than the need for freedom. Against this power, governments and tyrants and armies [i]cannot stand[/i]." - G'Kar, [i]The Long Twighlight Struggle[/i]

[url="http://www.globalserve.net/~archons"]www.globalserve.net/~archons[/url]
  • I went online about 710 AM pacific time to get some news articles concerning drug abuse and begging for my english class, and saw a pic of an explosion at the WTC on the main page of the New York Times site.(I went there cause the LA Times site wasnt loading)I thought it was probably a small civillian aircraft like the one that kamikazed the White House several years back, but then i saw a picture with a commercial airliner heading into Tower 2 and i knew it was going to be bad.
  • MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
    I came home from school....on IRC I was told to turn on CNN...I did so...and saw suddenly the first tower collapse....
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    I was climbing out of bed to get ready for school when the second plane hit. I was driving to school, listening to the radio, when the first tower fell. I was watching TV in the band room before school started when the second tower fell. I will always remember it. I think we all will.
  • I normally listed to the News in the morning, however this morning, I listened to a CD on the way to work.

I had just walked in to work and 20 people were crowded around a TV watching Tower 1 burning, I asked what had happened and all of a sudden the second plane slammed into the 2nd Tower, everyone just sat there, silent, watching the images unfold before our eyes....

------------------
    "To Think of My Beautiful City in Flames" Delenn
    RIP WTC
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    My wife was up before me...

She woke me up just after the first plane hit the WTC building.

The rest of course is history...
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [quote]Originally posted by rhett:
    [b]I couldn't believe that some asshole in my P.E. class said "who cares".[/b][/quote]

I was sitting in the foyer of the School of Engineering a bit later that morning when a bunch of first years came in, laughing and joking about planes hitting the WTC and the Pentagon, and the WTC being destroyed. They thought it was really funny, and the coolest thing to happen in ages. I was so tempted to walk up to them, ask them why it was funny, then knock them all out one by one. People like that really piss me off.

------------------
    [b][url="http://www.minbari.co.uk/log12.2263/"]Required reading[/url][/b]
    Never eat anything bigger than your own head.
    The Balance provides. The Balance protects.

"Nonono...Is not [i]Great[/i] Machine. Is...[i]Not[/i]-so-Great Machine. It make good snow cone though." - Zathras