Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

DRADIS Contact!

As you might've guessed from my avatar, a little side project over the last few days has been recreating the icons of the DRADIS displays from Battlestar Galactica.

[img]http://web.mac.com/david_of_mac/iWeb/3D%20Website/Battlestar%20Galactica_files/Dradis_Showcase.jpg[/img]

A couple notes: The small Unknown icon is conjectural. In "Resurrection Ship Part I" a small ship was represented with the large Unknown icon, and in "Hero," they used the Cylon Raider icon for a small Unknown, but whited it out when they bleached the flashback scenes, so it was hard to tell. So I made is a combination of the large Unknown and the Raider icons.

Also, the Resurrection Ship icon was only seen once, from a distance, where it appeared to be a modified version of the large Unknown icon, though it was difficult to confirm any details. In "A Measure of Salvation," the Resurrection Ship II: Son Of Resurrection Ship was represented by the Basestar icon, which was unhelpful. However, the fact that the civilian ships were all made of pieces of the Viper and Raptor icons was very helpful, so I have no ill will.

I'm not sure how or when I'm going to release them. I'm thinking a zip of Photoshop files with the arrow for each icon on a separate layer. I'm also thinking about making them into a set of Mac OS X icons, but I'm not quite sure about that yet.

Final note, thanks to TrekBBS poster [b]backstept[/b] for pointing me to the almost-perfect DRADIS display font. And after drawing out text pixel-by-pixel, "almost" perfect is perfect.

Comments

• croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    that is awesome
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    HAHA! Great avatar.

You have too much time on your hands. :)
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Amazing work here.

Is there a chance you could attach and post the font in question? Our new forums should handle it just fine :)
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    [url=http://web.mac.com/david_of_mac/iWeb/3D%20Website/DRADIS%20Icons.html]I've put up the Photoshop files for download.[/url] I also quietly added one I forgot, the sensor drone from "Exodus Part II."

Additionally, a link to the font I used, "Visitor" is included in the read me. Or you could probably Google it, now. ;)
    I was actually nudging for an excuse to test the new upload system, but that works, too.
  • WOW! I just got into BSG, rented and watched seasons 1 and 2 over the course of the last two months. This is VERY cool! Thanks! :alndance:
  • MatthewMatthew Earthforce Officer
    Whats a S-star. Bear in mind I haven't seen season3
    Well, it's a customized fighter seen in a flashback sequence during season 3.
  • MatthewMatthew Earthforce Officer
    Thanks David. I was wondering could someone post a picture of the s-star if its not too much hassle. Back to the topic I'm surprised by the name I thought it was some sort of big ship. Then when you mentioned it was a fighter which was when I noticed the icon was the same size as a viper.
    Is it similar to the blackbird stealth fighter.
    By the way nice job on the font and display. Just out of curiousity whats the numbers above the radial lines mean is it angle or distance.
    David of Mac, would you mind posting these back up again? I have a sudden...need...to use this for a project :D
    I took them down?

Oh, right. iWeb broke all my links and I never got around to making a new website. Fear not, though, the files are still there, [url=http://web.mac.com/david_of_mac/3D_Website/DRADIS_Icons.html]the program just changed how it handled spaces in page titles.[/url]