Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Ahhh The Old Days. Commodore Memories

In BetweenIn Between The Ultimate Lurker
The Evolution of Commodore from PET to today in pictures.:D

For the old fogies. (I will be 41 in June:p )

[url]http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/6454113.stm[/url]

My first computer experience ever were on PETs in school. Aged 14 the reverse of 41 interesting}:)

Comments

• ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    wow that was weird......i was just looking at that before i came here
  • Space GhostSpace Ghost Elite Ranger
    I never had a Commodore, but [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Apple_iicb.jpg"]this was my first computer.[/URL] :D

I like the cases on the new Commodore, by the way.
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Must have..
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    [QUOTE=Space Ghost;157756]I never had a Commodore, but [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Apple_iicb.jpg"]this was my first computer.[/URL] :D
    [/QUOTE]

Funny that was my first computer also, Apple IIc. That said, it was not my families first computer, prior to the IIc we'd already had a IIe and an Apple III.

Jake
  • Vorlons in my HeadVorlons in my Head The Vorlons told me to.
    Those new machines are a joke. They are just off the shelf gaming PC's with perty artwork. The only commodore left in them are logo.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I agree.

I grew up (and learned to program) on a Commodore 64 (one with the original shell, not the redesigned shell). The Commodore 64 is the best selling home computer ever, and probably the most responsible for computers other than video game consoles being popular for games today. The SID chip in particular showed that you could have powerful (for the time) sound reproduction in a PC and put it to good use. The decentralised design of the Commodore, which was taken even further in the Amiga line, has finally been taken up by modern PCs in recent years. It's such a shame that the brand has been passed around so many other companies and now is reduced to this.
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    My first system was an Amiga. Grew up on that. I still remember HAM mode and it's obscure way to get 64k colors :)
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    My father bought a commodore 64 a few years after I was born, and my brother and me played it together until he tired of it. A couple of friends and me started programming games by then..

Ah, the good old times.. :)
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    I never had a C-64, i had a Vic-20, our "Computer Lab" at school, had about 20 C-64's, we were one of the only schools in the state with that many computers, we also had a couple TRS-80's, when it came time to get a new computer for home, Instead of getting an AppleII, i got a Tandy 1000sx instead,

also had at home a Coleco Adam, now that was a machine, lol
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    *JackN pats his (Still working) SX-64 and Indus GT disk drive...

:)
  • AgimaAgima Trainee
    I too had a Commodore64c back then. In fact I still have it and last time I've turn it on it seems to be fully working.

I had so much fun with it, learning with the BASIC manual how to make programs! Sweet memories indeed!

A couple of years after that I bought an Amiga 1200. A great computer IMHO, but Commodore/Amiga was going downhill at this time...

Can't help think about what Commodore/Amiga would have been up to if they were still in the mainstream market as of today!
    I had a C64 which I permanently borrowed from a friend for many years. I remember even firing it up to play games up until at least ~1994. It was already ancient by then but games were still great to play once in a while. I kind of regret having given it away.
    My parents sold ours about 10 years ago. I've never forgiven them. :p
    The last C-64 i saw was back in NYC, NYC has curbside recycling, and lots of people throw out their old computers, i used to go around and gather them up to see what could be salvaged, someone tossed a C64, but unfortunately it was off the curb, and someone ran over it, i was able to salvage a disk drive and the C-64 logo plate, that was about it. (the c-64 logo plate is now attached to my old windows 2000 server)
  • It's sad to think I'm 28, and I am familiar and worked on all this stuff. Man I feel old! My first computers was a C64, a Laser IBM compat, and an Apple IIc, which I upgraded the memory on :p
  • PJHPJH The Lovely Thing
    *PJH pats his C-64 and OC-118N diskdrive and his old floppys.

I still have it all in my closet with a bunch of games too. Haven't touched it in years though. It still works, but the powercord, or the connector gives some trouble and sometimes reboots the machine when moved a bit.

Oh the good old days of C-64 and BASIC language. Anyone remember Simon's Basic btw? It was handy to draw vector graphics etc. And I loved sprites. Used to design some small ships and logo's with sprites. I still have some stuff on paperbook with SYS commands, POKE's etc. And I have a C-64 programming guide book as well on the shelve too. :)

And I will NEVER get rid of it. :)

- PJH
  • PSI-KILLERPSI-KILLER Needs help
    My first computer was a TI99/4A. I was always laughed at by Commodore kids in elementry school for having one. They made fun of me that my parents listened to bill cosby. But i had a speech synthesizer that could be programmed and they didn't... hah. how you like the smell of that commodore losers!!!

Seriously.. once my warrenty is up next year on my current rig I might get a commodore if the reviews get me all excited. I hope they have something unique about them that is a must have.
    [QUOTE=PSI-KILLER;158053]But i had a speech synthesizer that could be programmed and they didn't... hah. how you like the smell of that commodore losers!!![/QUOTE]

Let's ask [url=http://members.tripod.com/the-cbm-files/speak/]SAM[/url] and see what he says.
  • PSI-KILLERPSI-KILLER Needs help
    You needed a cassette to load SAM everytime. TI was hardware hardwired for gaming!
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    [QUOTE=Biggles;158054]Let's ask [url=http://members.tripod.com/the-cbm-files/speak/]SAM[/url] and see what he says.[/QUOTE]

Oh god the fun we had with SAM when we were juveniles...just to see what kind of dirty words it would mess up...

Jake
    [QUOTE=Biggles;158054]Let's ask [url=http://members.tripod.com/the-cbm-files/speak/]SAM[/url] and see what he says.[/QUOTE]

Ahh, when i was in elementary school i got picked to go to a college for the summer for a "science camp" and i was so excited that SAM was there...
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    ZX-81 /Timex Sinclair... have em both and they still work. plus both have 16k RAM expansions.
    I used a TRS-80 with a speech box and programmed advertisements on it for computer time at the Radio Shack store after school.
    At school we used a WANG-2200 with a cassette drive... programmed lots of turn based games on that one, played others like Wumpus, Hamurabi, Star Trek, list goes on...
    Pet, Vic-20, C-64, SX-64, C-128...
    Amiga 1000, 500, 2000HD, 3000t, 1200, 600, 4000t
    I'm more Application centric now and I get annoyed at the hardware/OS than anything else...

BASIC was always a good friend on those older machines... :)
    :)
  • MungrelMungrel Earthforce Officer
    [QUOTE=Vorlons in my Head;157761]Those new machines are a joke. They are just off the shelf gaming PC's with perty artwork. The only commodore left in them are logo.[/QUOTE]

Exactly! If the keyboard isn't attached to the tower, it ain't a commodore!

Yeah, BASIC is :cool: . Going to have a go at making something in Blitz3d.
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    Oh the memories indeed! In my school we had quite a few C64's in the lab. Wednesday afternoons were for sports but some of us formed a computer club and spent as much time as we could playing on them. Favourite games were Platoon (never got passed the jungle level as the game always crashed when it tried to load), Gryzor, and Salamander. We had T2 as well. Dread to think the number of Quick Shot II joysticks we nailed playing those games :p

I rescued an ancient Apple II Europlus not long ago. It even came with paddles to play Pong!!! :d Picked up a BBC Micro with it as well. Both work fine.
  • FreezeFreeze Disguised as a Trainee
    [code]BASIC>SYS 64738[/code] :D

Equals Windows Menu Start > Shutdown > Restart > Ok .. ach, everything was so simple then and 12 KB of free RAM would be enough to reach heaven!

That free 12 KB of RAM was in my [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_16]Commodore 16[/url] that my parents bought me in '84. Since then I moved upwards to [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amstrad_CPC_6128]Amstrad CPC 6128[/url] (a truly weird peace of work with 3" disks -- but it's own color monitor *wee!*), Amiga 500, Atari ST 512, Atari 1024 and Atari 1024 STE.
  • PJHPJH The Lovely Thing
    [url]http://www.sys64738.net/[/url]

:P

The good old reset command. And SYS64739 locked up the machine, or SYS46732. :)

I did some searching and found my old paper notebook with lots of POKE's and programming tips and tricks for C-64. Was quite enjoyable to go through that old stuff. Brought back some memories. :)

[QUOTE=Freeze;158136][code]BASIC>SYS 64738[/code] :D

Equals Windows Menu Start > Shutdown > Restart > Ok .. ach, everything was so simple then and 12 KB of free RAM would be enough to reach heaven!
    [/QUOTE]

And Windows takes a hell of a long time to start. C-64 was ready to use instantaneously when you switched it on. :P

- PJH
    syntax error