Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Confirmed. Season 4 Final Season For BSG

In BetweenIn Between The Ultimate Lurker
While Slashdotting I saw this:

[url]http://iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2463&Itemid=99[/url]

[QUOTE]When asked about the next season of Battlestar, Olmos had this to say, “This will probably be the most extraordinary season of Battlestar, it’s the final season so, it’s definitely going to be the most vicious.”

IESB: Final?

Olmos: You heard it first.

IESB: Are you serious?

Olmos: Very much so.[/QUOTE]

Sigh :(

Comments

• ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    That's a shame, but after some of the episodes in that last season it's not entirely unexpected to me
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    They had two seasons worth of story planned (which would really mean half a season of story episodes, half a season of filler), so they've most likely decided to give us a full season of story. I'm much happier with that way of thinking even if it means the show ends sooner.

Worf
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Aye thats exactly what I was thinking Worf. Its a shame, but if it means that it goes out with a bang rather than a whimper then I can live with that
  • I'm of the same mind...and maybe, *just* maybe, we'll get 'Caprica' after that, since RDM could then focus his creative efforts. Hey, it couldn't be worse than ECW;)
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    Well, at least it will go out with a bang and go on syndication. As far as I know, 4 seasons are the minimum required.

That sounds like fun, Starbuck playing in "the bionic woman," the remake of the old 70s show. :D
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    100 episodes is generally the preferred amount, but it's by no means required (the most famous example being Star Trek, which got widely syndicated with only 79 episode).

Assuming they have the telemovie in as part of the rotation (and why not?), BSG will end up having 79 episodes.

(Just like Star Trek. Freaky)
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    Doh, so that's Lost and BSG ending at S4 :)
  • [IMG]http://strvang.ath.cx/~andi/temp/images/lost.jpg[/IMG]

:rolleyes: :p
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I am so happy that they've decided to end it at the end of S4. A closed, complete story is so much better than something that trails on, getting worse, until it's cancelled.

Here's hoping for not having another half a season of filler, too.
  • Vorlons in my HeadVorlons in my Head The Vorlons told me to.
    I was kind of hoping they would go for 5 because its a prettier number, but that would just mean duuble the filler episodes, 4 probably is the way to go. I don't think the ratings would hold strong enough for season 5. If I see any stupid filler episodes I swear I'm going to kick Ron's ass. You heard it here first :P
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    RDM said the network has stopped insisting on the stand-alones, so they're going to stop making them.
  • An important statement by David Eick:

[url]http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=2&id=41457[/url]
  • Space GhostSpace Ghost Elite Ranger
    Hmmm... that kinda changes things, huh? Well, I think an extra season (after 4) could be interesting. Battlestar Galactica: Planet Earth anyone? :D

Anything has to be better than Voyager... getting home in the last 30 seconds after seven seasons. What the frack was that!?
    I think Olmos comment was really more dissinformation a la Starbucks death. In previous intervious Eick has been pretty adamant that he intends to leave forseeable seasons ending in wicked plot twisting cliffhangers as usual expecting to come back. I don't think he's ready to call it quits at four. To be honest I have a hard time believing S4 is going to be the last. As expensive as BSG is to produce and the slipping ratings, it still is one of Sci-Fi's best performing shows. All of their shows (maybe with the exception of ECW sadly enough) have been slipping in ratings for a long time. They are dropping SG-1 which leaves them with little for now. Painkiller Jane and Dresden files have faired only averagely well and The Lost Room flopped, its not even going onto series production. For now other than Eureka, BSG is probably going to be their other top dog. I think when the time comes they'll want more.

After the dismal ratings failure of the stand alones/fillers I think they have learned their lesson. Scifi tried to be a bit overzelous this last season in attracting new viewers hoping the show would be a break out. I think they fell for the classic network mentality that new people stay away from strong story driven episodes since viewers will be too lost to bother watching. They figure the stand alones will attract more casual viewers which just doesn't happen. Instead of trying to attract more viewers they need to worry about holding their existing base, which means keep people interested enough in the story to not drop out. We can thank the episode"Taking a Bread From all Your Worries" for pretty much saving the show. Not only was it one of the strongest episodes ever, the final ratings for that episode were a 2.5. That means it blew away the season opener and almost tied the Season 1 and 2 premieres. It was enough to make up for the slump that followed. Its pretty obvious what viewers want to see.
    I'm actually hoping it doesn't turn out more like season 5 of Babylon 5. They make season 4 closing of most of the story, then all of a sudden Scifi sees a boost in ratings and orders season 5. Result is we end up getting a season that has little to pick up and no time to develop into anything.
    [QUOTE=Space Ghost;160396]Hmmm... that kinda changes things, huh? Well, I think an extra season (after 4) could be interesting. Battlestar Galactica: Planet Earth anyone? :D[/QUOTE]

No. You don't. Seriously, you really, really don't. [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galactica_1980]It was done[/url] and it was terrible. It even had Nazis.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    You know, they're building up to the appearance of Space Nazis in BSG anyway. Once those guys come on, it's all over. Introducing...Space Hitler! Watch him fight the last great Space Pope.
  • CiberCiber Earthforce Officer
    what aobut the space christ?
  • [QUOTE=Vorlons in my Head;160400]I'm actually hoping it doesn't turn out more like season 5 of Babylon 5. They make season 4 closing of most of the story, then all of a sudden Scifi sees a boost in ratings and orders season 5. Result is we end up getting a season that has little to pick up and no time to develop into anything.[/QUOTE]

unfortunately that's not how it happened.
    I know thats not how it happened with B5. I'm just speculating what might happen with BSG.
  • Data CrystalData Crystal Pencil Artist
    I respect that. I in fact hoped it would end in S4. It's much better to have a tight package of good stuff than a long run of watered-down goods. Applies to a lot of things. :D
    I was still hoping that BSG would end at three, as was originally suggested by RDM. On top of that, they keep pushing for more episodes than they've needed to get the show forward. Each season originally only had 13 episodes, and each time they push the order up to 22. Sure, SciFi wanted a full run in season 2, but 3 and 4 were at the mercy of the production staff. The massive amounts of filler only served to make the show less interesting.
  • Hopefully season 4 sucks, so we wont be missing s5.
    While I would probably miss a fifth season, I'd rather the show end on a high-note. Take Arrested Development for example. The show consistently improved itself, refining its sense of humor and building upon the jokes used earlier in its run while never once underestimating the intelligence and devotion of its audience. It was canceled in its third season and while it is missed very much, I am more than glad that it didn't have the chance to drag on for years more. When a show suffers a bout of catastrophic writing for a season or so, it just makes the viewer regret watching it.
  • Space GhostSpace Ghost Elite Ranger
    [QUOTE=Dr Biggles;160404]No. You don't. Seriously, you really, really don't. [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galactica_1980]It was done[/url] and it was terrible. It even had Nazis.[/QUOTE]

Point taken. :D However, I have hope that RDM would write a little better than those poor, misguided souls of 1980.
    Bring on the flying motorcycles for season 5!
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    Yeah, everybody who mentions the late 70s show also mentions the flying motorcycles at some point, even RDM does that. I think it was very cool at the time (not any cheesier than the rest of the show) and it still is today, even George Lucas used a version of them in SW:RotJ (most of us try to repress that thought because of the teddy-bear tribe that lived in the same part of the woods...). :D

I wonder if we'll get to see those too in the new show. I suppose it's going to be a question about money and if they can pen some of the budget to that effect in the SFX department. It depends also on how much time is spent on Earth once they get there.
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    Well if it ended with a 4th I would take that. Its a shame they didn't stick to a short episode run like the 4400. Since the first season they've churned out 13 episodes per season and that has ensured a tight story. Jumping around creates panic I think for the writers... "oh crap we really need to pad this one out". So yeah hopefully Sci Fi will stop meddling now and let RDM etc get on with it.

I don't watch the American Sci Fi Channel but I get the impression they are going through an iffy patch. As has been said recent shows have either flopped or done poorly. I'm getting worried that there seems to be hardly any decent sci fi shows coming on air at the moment. I thought when BSG came back it would herald a new era of shows but it hasn't really happened.

I think that Battlestar Galactica: Earth 2000 The Return Home will have to recieve a blessing from the Space Pope before going into production.
    [QUOTE=Falcon1;160465]Jumping around creates panic I think for the writers... "oh crap we really need to pad this one out".[/QUOTE]

Case in point: the last episode of S2. Big cliffhanger that came out of nowhere in the last 15 minutes, causing major changes in the story that are almost all neatly cleaned up within 6 episodes of S3.
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    [QUOTE=Falcon1;160465]I think that Battlestar Galactica: Earth 2000 The Return Home will have to recieve a blessing from the Space Pope before going into production.[/QUOTE]

and the robot devil