Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

United against the Darkness...

RickRick Sector 14 Studios
[quote]Yesterday a firefighter involved in the rescue effort in NYC made a request on a local radio station in CT, which was later repeated on a station in LA. As a show of support and solidarity for America, it was asked that all Americans turn their lights on while driving. It was asked not only as a remembrance of the victims, and the workers that are tirelessly trying to find victims, but as a reminder that America will find
out who did this and bring them to justice.

Please pass this on to everyone in your address book so that we can "see the light" throughout America!
[/quote]

Perhaps some good will befall us after this time of grief. Nations for the first time, are standing together against the forces of Darkness. Nations, once separated by differences in ideology, are now coming together to say "the forces of anarchy and chaos shall not prevail."

I wanted to pass this message on, and add to it the request that people outside our nation do this as well.

Drive with your lights on.
Push back the darkness.
Send the message that there is no shadow where the forces of terror and chaos can hide.

Share this message with your friends and co-workers. Let's have the world stand united.

------------------
[i]"...In the end it would hold because what is built endures. And what is loved endures.
And Babylon 5...Babylon 5 endures."[/i] -- Delenn in the Babylon 5 episode [i]Rising Star[/i]

Comments

• Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    Also, at 7pm eastern time tonight, everyone is asked to light a candle in memory of those who died.

And for people in the US, don't forget to display your US Flag proudly, in you window, in your car, on your body.

I've got to print one out, cause its almost impossible to buy an American flag in NY right now, everyone is sold out.

[quote]Originally posted by Rick:
    [b] Perhaps some good will befall us after this time of grief. Nations for the first time, are standing together against the forces of Darkness. Nations, once separated by differences in ideology, are now coming together to say "the forces of anarchy and chaos shall not prevail."

I wanted to pass this message on, and add to it the request that people outside our nation do this as well.

Drive with your lights on.
    Push back the darkness.
    Send the message that there is no shadow where the forces of terror and chaos can hide.

Share this message with your friends and co-workers. Let's have the world stand united.

[/b][/quote]
  • RickRick Sector 14 Studios
    [quote]Originally posted by Entil'Zha:
    [b]Also, at 7pm eastern time tonight, everyone is asked to light a candle in memory of those who died.

And for people in the US, don't forget to display your US Flag proudly, in you window, in your car, on your body.

I've got to print one out, cause its almost impossible to buy an American flag in NY right now, everyone is sold out.

[/b][/quote]

I heard the same thing as well about the candles.

The Flag demand is insane...all the stores in the SF Bay area are sold out. I heard last night that flag demand is 20X over what it normally is this time of year, and the flag companies have vowed to put in OT to meet the demand.

In the meantime, Get red, white, and blue ribbons and tie them to your antennas. I'm wearing a R-W-B ribbon lapel pin at work right now.

Also--If anyone finds good high resolution pictures of the flag, please post them here for people who want to print them out and display them.

Now is one time when someone who wants to post an Americain flag should not go wanting for one, even if all they can get is a printout of one.

-Rick

------------------
    [i]"...In the end it would hold because what is built endures. And what is loved endures.
    And Babylon 5...Babylon 5 endures."[/i] -- Delenn in the Babylon 5 episode [i]Rising Star[/i]
  • RickRick Sector 14 Studios
    [url="http://www.buydomains.com/images/american_flag.jpg"]http://www.buydomains.com/images/american_flag.jpg[/url]

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 09-14-2001).]
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Printed it out, and will wear it wherever I go.
    Horray for the new Dye Sublimiation with variable lamination settings!
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    The what?

The candle thing is a good idea!

------------------
    [b][url="http://www.minbari.co.uk/log12.2263/"]Required reading[/url][/b]
    Never eat anything bigger than your own head.
    The Balance provides. The Balance protects.

"Nonono...Is not [i]Great[/i] Machine. Is...[i]Not[/i]-so-Great Machine. It make good snow cone though." - Zathras
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I have a new sony dye sublimation photo printer. It is an extremely sharp, extremely high resolution device. One of my first tests was on the NY photos. Namely, the photos of my father's office. I also printed out that flag picture with matte laminate mode. I printed it out, and I will pin it to the front of my shirt, or my backpack, on monday. IMHO, it was not a waste of sample paper at all. If the normal printer was working, I'd print out an iron-on image for a white T-shirt. I'd buy a flag, but the stores are all sold out. I'd buy ribbon, but they're also sold out. I'd buy stickers, but you know the answer.
  • We who cherish freedom must fight with all their heart not just to protect it in the west, but to make sure humans all around the world can enjoy it as well.

Now we start the next battle for the salvation of our species, for the dream of a better future. It will be hard and our strength may fade, but in the end we will triumph.

------------------
    We Live as one, We die as one, We will face the darkness as one.

"Understanding is a Three Edged Sword- Your side, Their side, And the Truth...."
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    Everyone displaying the American flag has been a boost in my moral, as I suspect it has in others. For those who are not American citizens I just want to say that we DO appreciate your moral support by showing our flag in your countries.

[img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img]

Patriotism here in America has been given a black eye in recent decades. In California for example I see asian nationality and hispanic nationality flags waved around more than even our own Star Spangled Banner.

There was a time in this country when you could be arrested for degrading our flag, or waving another countries flag as it is done so flippantly these days. This is of course if you made it alive to be arrested, before one of its citizens took you out.

While I understand that you should not forsake your heritage or your home language, when you come to America and become a citizen, you should take on her mantle. This means that you show your patriotism to America, her flag being the Red, White, and Blue, and our language being English. While you may speak fluently in your home language, the national language is still English, and when used, is a sign of respect of where you are, and who you know have become.

You should do these things not because they are expected of an American citizen, but because they make you a better person by showing that you are being true to your country as one of its citizens.

I doubt seriously that anyone form any of the countries represented here on these forums would tolerate me walking down the streets of their native lands with an American flag waving. So why does America tolerate it?

We've all lost our respect for each other, and in doing so we have also lost our respect for our home.

There is nothing wrong with patriotism, it is a healthy response from a citizen.

Freedom does come with a price. Part of that price is loyalty to its standard.

Kennedy said [b][i]"...ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country..."[/i][/b]. Those words still hold true, and came from a man who was "so" before his time...

With this I want to share an image a good friend of mine (Cydni) created the other day.

[img]http://www.b5mg.com/~alien/MISC/AmericanTragedy.jpg[/img]
  • RhettRhett (Not even a monkey)
    I agree with you, JackN
  • For me what you have said has special meaning, I was not born in the U.S, but I was raised here. Though I know and appreciate my herritage, I consider myself American because the U.S represents the hopes, the ideals and the freedom that makes me who I am, because its spirit has forged mine. It saddens me that so many immigrants come to the U.S only for the econimic prosperity, that they refuse to embrace what makes the country strong, our common identity made up of diversity. I think that many would rather just pretend they live in their old country and not even try to integrate, this happens alot in Miami where I live. That sort of attitude makes me angry because it makes people distrust immigrants and it will make it harder for me to become a citizen.

After the terrible tragedy I found myself feeling such a profound sense of patriotism, but yet I am not legaly American. I hope that the rest of the country will accept my patriotism as much as from someone who was born here.

------------------
    We Live as one, We die as one, We will face the darkness as one.

"Understanding is a Three Edged Sword- Your side, Their side, And the Truth...."
  • I hope that the attack on our way of life will show those with little loyaty to the U.S that we are all in this together, as the country has shown we are already becoming more unified.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    The EXone:

Well, I accept it. [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img]

I hear all kinds of views about immigrants from Mexico, Cuba, Asian countries, etc. I refuse to generalize all these ethnic groups into the labels that I hear so often.

My whole family on both sides came to America as immigrants within the last 100 years. They gladly made their home here and took on this nationality as new citizens. They learned the English language that this country spoke, even if it wasn't all that good at first.

There is a building frustration over the kind of people you mentioned in your post, and like anything else, I see how the ignorant generalize everyone together.

"One bad apple doesn't ruin the bunch."

But, when you start seeing a lot of bad apples though, it gets hard to see or appreciate the good ones that are there.

You are to be commended for your character. You are likely more of an American citizen than some who are born here...

[img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/wink.gif[/img]
  • ArikArik Galen's Apprentice
    American Flag... printed this out, it's been on my car since very early Sunday afternoon. [url="http://www.kfrc.com/images/flag.gif"]http://www.kfrc.com/images/flag.gif[/url]
  • WaylanderWaylander Earthforce Officer
    First of all, please don't anyone take offence, I'm trying to make a few general comments, not criticizing any individuals or groups on these boards.

I do believe there are many great triumps of the human spirit to come out of the Evil of the recent terrorist atrocities, however, I've never been a big fan of flag waving.

Advocates of flag waving tend to get very upset about things like flag burning, and in the end, it's just a piece of cloth.

Symbols point to the thing, they aren't the thing itself.

The fact that so many Americans polled believe that "retalliation" is justified, even if it means the deaths of innocent civilians is also pretty worrying. I hope this is a temporary state, caused by grief, anger and shock.

The thoughts of all people the world over go out to the loved ones of the victims.

"He is a poor patriot whose patriotism does not enable him to understand how all men everywhere feel about their altars and their hearthstones, their flags and their fatherland."
    - Harry Emerson Fosdick

All around us, it was as if the Universe were holding its breath, waiting. All of life can be broken down into moments of transition or moments...of revelation. This had the feeling of both."
    "G'Quan wrote: 'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against Chaos and Despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future, or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
    -- G'Kar, "Z'ha'dum"

[This message has been edited by Waylander (edited 09-28-2001).]
  • Alpha-1Alpha-1 Elite Ranger Germany
    Sounds again Terror [url="http://www.kiisfm.com/montages.html"]http://www.kiisfm.com/montages.html[/url]

[This message has been edited by Alpha-1 (edited 09-28-2001).]