Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Pirates of The Carribean: What the hell

OK, watched it just now...opening showing (Seriously, I didn't care that much, but was invited with a large group of friends, so I went)

Whats there to say?

First one? It was OK
Second one? Wasn't horrible
3rd one? Pure crap.

Let me explain...to make this movie, I imagine they hired what? 20, 30 writers? Then they locked each of them into different rooms, told them to write scenes for a pirates movie, then threw them all together in a jumbled mess and hope the audience could find the semblance of a plot.

Which by the way, was pretty much non-existent. What plot there was, was so...stupid and over the top that it failed to entertain, let alone let you feel satisfied.

Yes, I do belive I LOST brain cells watching this movie.

Comments

• Space GhostSpace Ghost Elite Ranger
    Don't hold back... tell us how you really feel. ;)

I haven't seen it yet, but I'll probably wait for the DVD. Come to think of it, I have yet to see the second one either.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I was a bit annoyed with the inability to make much sense of approximately half of the second, hoping the third would fix that. Oh well. I'll still probably enjoy much Geoffrey Rush-ness.
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    Wasn't impressed with the first. And Keira is so.. uggh.
  • i've not seen the third one yet, but i felt the first two were both parodies of the first 5 minutes of the first one. an entertaining 5 minutes though it was, over the course of two films it got deeply irritating, so i don't see why the third one would be any different.

same goes for the shrek franchise.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    See, that's the problem right there. The "Shrek" [i]franchise[/i]. The "Pirates of the Caribbean" [i]franchise[/i].
  • Vorlons in my HeadVorlons in my Head The Vorlons told me to.
    I have yet to see one two and three.
    Shrek 2 was a perfectly reasonable movie. The first went through and established a lot of material that could have been expanded upon later. The second did a great job of it and introduced an additional character which was written well and performed even better (Puss). The third was just outright rehashing and dumbing down of the script with bland physical humor to appeal to a wider (younger) audience. Part of what made the first two so great was their fairly adult sense of humor. What's worse, the satirized Disney characters have been stripped of any charm they previously had. Oh well...we got two out of it. :P
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    I'm sure a younger child may claim they like the third one more ;)
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I'm happy with the first two. They were both very well done. The third, I probably won't bother seeing.
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    Pirates is just another instance of hype being bigger than reality. The movies have made a few bucks, but its really just a popcorn flick.

I watched the first one, thought it mildly entertaining, and have yet to watch it again. I haven't seen either the 2nd or 3rd installment. The commercials didn't exactly make me jump out of my chair. I don't know what the deal is with the octopus faced guy but he looks stupid.

I like Johnny Depp, he has made some good films, but I'm not so hot on the rest of the cast. Kierra Nightly is not attractive enough to make up for her lack of acting skills. They dress her up in boys clothes anyways because "No one can be prettier than Orlando Bloom" (can't remember where I heard that, but I think the quote is funny).

I got an email from file planet to join the Pirates of the Caribbean beta, it was exactly as I suspected. A poorly put together game that desperately tries to make to player feel like he "part of the movie action", with horrible graphics and even poorer gameplay.

As far as Shreck, its the boys birthday tomorrow, so I will be going to see the 3rd one. Ill let you know what I think. I enjoyed 1 and 2 was ok. I think they are pushing it though... They have a 4th planned.
    Don't forget the TV Spin-off.
  • MTMT Ranger
    I thought the first one was awesome. I didn't care for the second one. I just got out of the third one and thought it was a lot better than the second one. Maybe that's not saying much, but I walked out having a favorable opinion of it. The third one was probably the prettiest looking of them all, too. [COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]The scene of that one guy at the end on his ship getting torn apart was excellent[/COLOR], and made up for the lost potential of the bland opening scene.
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    Just came back from Pirates 3 and it was not bad. Nowhere near as fun as the first one though. It was too long, really needed a knife taking to some scenes and it was hard to follow at times. But it was worth it for the end. Fantastic effects really. I agree with what MT says on that. Almost worth watching in slow mo on dvd when it comes (the 3 movie 6 disc special ed I assume).
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    Shrek 3:

Well, the story was actually pretty decent, and there were still plenty of adult jokes to keep me interested, but there was definitely more kid humor. Overall 3/5 stars, I will write a review later in a separate thread.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    I liked all 3 (pirates)
  • sataicallistasataicallista High Priestess of Squeee!
    The third Pirates was a complete and utter chaotic acid trip I had immense trouble following but I still found it entertaining between the special effects, the humor and the complete madness of it all. Spoiler: I thought the "wedding" during the battle was just too much though, that bit just sent it over the top for me