Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Laptop Question

I think this may be something of a longshot, but does anyone here know what sort of laptop (make, hardware etc etc) is best used for writing and manipulating music? I don't mean music file like mp3s, rather what ones are best used for running digital music programs such as cubase or logic?

Reason is, I want to start writing my own stuff and thought you folks might know what computers would be best for this. I've heard good things about apple powerbooks for this sort of thing, but wanted to get opinions from a wider base of people.

Thanks,
Nick.

Comments

• Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    my first thought would be a Macbook or Macbook Pro, just dont skimp on the memory.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    I agree in the mac line. Ubuntustudio is another you could use. My brother (seafroggys) knows all about this stuff, he would be a good source of information. If you are doing live music recording you will also want a firewire port - should be standard but just look out for it.
  • Writing and manipulating music. Explain exactly what you mean by this.

As for the Mac vs. PC debate, its been traditionally considered that Mac was the god of multimedia stuff. Nowadays though the playing field is very even, so you have these things to consider:

Even though many programs are cross platform now, there are some programs that are still OS exclusive. For example, Cakewalk Sonar is PC-only, and GarageBand is Mac-only. If you happened to favor a program that's OS specific, then go with that OS.

With PCs you get more bang for your buck, but Mac has virtually no compatibility issues, which can be a pain sometimes.

So, if you can explain what you want to do in more detail, I can lead you in the right track.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    Just as an FYI, I'm not a Mac Guy, so for me to even suggest one is monumental, lol.
  • Thanks folks, this is good info.

Seafroggys: my most immediate priority is to put drum tracks over guitar tracks that a friend of mine sends me. However, I want the drum sounds to sound as realistic as possible, and I know a lot of the drum sounds you can get with these programs usually sound like someone got dodgy $20 keyboard, put on the drum voice and recorded it with a cassette.

I just got a message from someone to whom I asked:

"Are Macs generally better for this sort of thing?"

His reply was:

"No. Also they cost too much. In some ways it's like buying a seague instead of a bicycle."

So there appears to be quite a difference of opinion on the whole subject.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    There are a lot of opinions stated as outright fact when it comes to computers these days. My suggestion: Go to best buy, try out some laptops. Many of them now have Apple stores inside, so check out the Macbook and Macbook Pro systems while you're at it.

In terms of overall build quality, Apple has made a fantastic set of products with the Macbook line. While I knew of nothing but pain and suffering with the last-gen iBooks, this architecture was dropped for a more traditional platform and things have been very smooth ever since.
  • Oh so you want to do entirely MIDI then?

With that, then, you don't need to deal with an external interface, as long as the laptop has midi in capabilities (if I remember right, Midi is practically done on USB nowadays). You'll just need a soundcard that is capable of the highest level of audio (96 khz @ 24 bit).

As for drum software, the only one I'm aware of is Fruity Loops. I've heard great things about it, mostly from people who get it illegally.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    I have seen open source drum stuff out there for linux as well
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Creative makes a USB version of all their soundcards which can be easily used with a laptop.
  • Yeah, entirely MIDI for the moment, but I'd like the ability to do live recording later. I may try to get get Fuity Loops, just for the name. Linux and Creative may be worth a look too.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Well, the advantage of getting a Creative external sound card is that you could then get a laptop which has a rubbish sound card (i.e. most of them) and not worry about it.