Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Digital SLR Recommendations

FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
I am almost 100% certain this has been discussed before, almost just as certain I was even the one that asked the question, but a search did not turn up anything recent.

Anyway,

Pending the sale of our old house, my wife would like to invest in a digital SLR. The primary use of this camera will be two-fold:

[LIST=1]
[*]Take pictures of the wee one(s) as she/they grow. Of course the standard lag on cheap point-n-shoot digital makes good shots of a toddler almost impossible…
[*]Take high quality photos of my wife’s knit and crochet projects, both for her website, which currently has the crappy point-n-shoot photos, and for freelance submissions to magizines. About 75% of the photos will be close-ups in a light-box with the remained being worn by a model outdoors.
[/LIST]

We don’t need a camera to take professional shots, only one that can provide shots help my wife’s work to look more professional if that makes any sense…

While we aren’t limited to specific price, we need to get a camera that is a good value.

Jake

Comments

• Any of the Canon Rebels. Right now I'd stay away from Nikon, they're lagging in the digital technology race.
  • Mr_BesterMr_Bester Earthforce Officer St Louis MO
    I've got a digital rebel and love it. It is first gen and I got it used(wife was being cheap). I ended up getting the kit lens(18-55). I also bought a 50mm f1.8 at schillers used for $60. It is very good for kid pics because it is fast(1.8) and at a decent zoom(high end of the kit lens). It also helps keep the kid separated from the background with the shallow depth of field at 1.8. New it runs $90. All together for my camera and lenses, I spent $420.
    Dug

ps where are you moving to?(I'm also in stl)
  • Canon Digital Rebel XT is a DAMN good camera. Only con I can think of is no LCD, but oh well...pictures are worth it.

Another reccomendation I can make is the Canon A640, it's a mix because it's a compact, but has alot of the features of a DSLR, 10MP, Very good Macro, good aperature and ISO settings (80-800iso) but small enough to fit in a mens pocket. (which for kids, is a good thing. ;) )
  • shadow boxershadow boxer The Finger Painter & Master Ranter
    make that 4 votes for the Canon 400D or better

Canon glass is awesome and of course, when you're talking SLRs the body is almost superfluous, it's the glass you put in front of it that matters. As far as 'bang for buck' goes, nobody does better glass than Canon.

I suggest you price your lens requirements alongside any purchase you make, alot perhaps half or more of the dollars towards lenses.
  • Make it 5 for the Rebels.

I'm semi-pro ~ I've paid for all of my equipment and model costs + some cheese. How many "pros" can say that?

Nikon and Canon for D-SLR are the only consumer/pro-sumer options in my mind.

Nikon bodies are better hands down. However the color quality of the Canon CCD is truer in my opinion. The Canon is more affordable and will let you buy more/better lenses. From your write up that sounds like the key.

Regarding what body to get:
    Look at the stats and you’ll see the big difference between $1K and $5K cameras is a max ISO of 1600 or 3200. Shooting speed ~ 5 shots per second or 15 for varying bursts. Plus a few other items like card type, display size, etc. Again I’d put money towards the lens and lighting over the body. Your not a sports or wedding photographer working in bad light and you are shooting for the web and 8.5X11 magazines at perhaps 300dpi so 8-10MP is already a bit of overkill.
  • samuelksamuelk The Unstoppable Mr. 'K'
    [quote]Canon Digital Rebel XT is a DAMN good camera. Only con I can think of is no LCD, but oh well...pictures are worth it. [/quote]

Just to clarify. . . the Canon Digital Rebel XT DOES have an LCD screen. It's just that like most digital SLR cameras, you can't see the image on the screen until after you take the pictures.

But very few DSLR cameras allow you to see the image on the LCD before the picture is taken.
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    Well, the wife and I talked about it, and we are looking to spend about 1000-1200 bucks, so I am leaning toward a Rebel XTi and maybe a couple different lenses. Given that price range, any other recommendation (maybe some specific lens recommendations)?

The cool thing is that we have a sales tax holiday this weekend in our state for back-to-school purchases and computers and periphials are tax free. Since we are looking at a digital, it will fall under that catagory.

Jake
  • well, a good Macro lens and perhaps a telephoto can't hurt, default one that comes with is an 18-55mm lens, so might went one that falls on the other ends of those spectrums.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    Let me be the lone voice of dissent on the Rebel XT line, A good friend of mine is a pro photographer, and warns that you get what you pay for with the XTI, much of the internals of the camera are plastic, and if you are doing a lot of shooting with it, can cause wear, The 30D is not that much more than youw ant to spend (the $1000-$12000 range) and is IMHO worth the extra money.

I know 2 people personally who've bought the XTI and have had to return it due to various issues, one of them bought a 20D as a replacement, one of them went nuts and bought a 5D, a fabulous camera if you happen to have $3700 to spent (which i don't)

I personally own a 20D, and LOVE it,. [url]http://www.picasaweb.google.com/[/url] was all shot with my 20D

The XTI may do very well for you, but I wouldnt buy one personally, the 20D/30D is a better choice IMHO, As others have said, the Glass makes the camera, and Cannon Glass is currently some of the best out there,

I've another friend who swears by the Nikon D70, but as i've not used it myself, i can't say.
    Entil'zha,
    Good point about the plastic. I haven't had any issues with the lighter weight/plastic body. I do a little climbing with the camera and haven't had any issues, but I can see where they might crop up.

Another thing to remember about the lens and rebel/20/30d is they are aps-c sized sensors. The 5d is full frame. This means, when you buy your lens, on a aps-c there is a crop factor of 1.6. So a 300mm lens would act like a 480mm lens would on a 35mm camera. That's why the kit lens 18-55 ef-s is equivalent to 28-88 on 35mm. So if you want real wide angle, you need a 10-22 ef-s lens(about $500-700, which I am still waiting for).

That's why I recommend a 50mm 1.8 lens along with whatever else you get. It's inexpensive, good quality and fast. It also equates to an 80mm lens on 35mm.(Which is a decent portrait length).

If you want a good review on lenses, go [URL="http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/index.html"]here[/URL], they evaluate a ton of lenses and use the XT for most of the canon lenses.
    Dug
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    I will be the odd man out. We own a Nikon D50. We have played with some friends digital rebel, and another ones Olympia, and we like our Nikon.
    We stopped by a local camera shop, after looking at the XTi and a Pentax K10, we liked the look and feel of the Pentax better. The seemed more substaintial and I like the read out on the top of the unit for all the major settings rather than having to read the main display as you do on the Rebel. The K10 also has vibration reduction.

Any thoughts on the Pentax? [url]http://www.pentaxslr.com/bodies/k10[/url]

Jake
  • not as familiar with Pentax, however for that bodystyle, I know the Canon EOS 30D fits the bill, and is well, a VERY good camera.
  • Vorlons in my HeadVorlons in my Head The Vorlons told me to.
    I have similar sentiments about the rebel line which I posted in the previous thread discussing this very same subject :) Since its inception the Rebel line has made some pretty significant sacrifices in construction quality compared to higher end models. Its a good camera but not always the best choice for the long haul.

Good call on paying attention to the sensor size. I had mentioned this before as well. The 1.6 crop factor on the models other than the 5D will change the lens angle very significantly. It will turn what is normally a wide angle into a normal lens and normal lenses into telephotos. Something to keep in mind when lens shopping.

I don't know whats the deal with Pentax right now. They used to make very good camera's in the pre-digital era. I still have some around including a large format one. I actually thought they had been bought out and absorbed into some other big company. News to me they are still making Pentax branded digital SLR's.
    While it may have felt better, I think the vast majority opinion would be stick with nikon or canon. At the very least you have a better lens selection from 3rd party. To get a better feel try the 20d or 30d.

If you want to do some research, [url]www.thephotoforum.com[/url] is pretty good. Most of the questions you have are asked on an almost daily basis. Mostly in the Beginner/Advanced and Equipment subforums.

Also, I believe Fabio(modeller of the new B5) will be doing a thesis over at lwg3d.com within a few days in the photo corner for another former B5 modeller who is getting rid of his minolta to go to nikon or canon.

Dug
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    If you want camera reviews, you can't beat dpreview (at least until amazon starts making changes).

[url]http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Pentax/pentax_k10d.asp[/url]
    Bester, Good point about the sensor size, And on the lens reccomendations, I have the 18-55 as well as a 1.8 55, The 18-55 will sill allow you to get nice wide shots, but definately not as wide as a true 18-55 full frame. i find that i use that lens most often, as somtimes the magnification factor makes the 55 (88) difficilut to use.

As for the 5D, i say if you have the money, go for it, it is a flippin SWEET camera, just, well, it costs more than several cars i've owned do. lol.

The only real complaint i have on the EOS line, is the Focus screen, Canon years ago used to use a magnificent split prism focus screen, Made manual focus a cinch, now Canon (and most camera manufacturers for that matter) like to use a flat focus screen, and i personally have a devil of a time with manual focus, maybe i'm just getting old and my eyes suck, but getting a sharp focus in manual mode can be maddening sometimes for me. I miss that old Horizontal Split Prism.
    Well after reviewing the two sites above (dpreveiw and photoforum) I think we will go with the Pentax. In general, people seem very happy with the K10D and it is often compared favorably with the D80/30D (some even go as far as comparing to the D200).

Once it arrives, I'll let you guys know how it works!

Jake
    My only comment would really be that while the body may compare to the Canon/Nikon, the lenses do not,

My Wife's Mother's Boyfriend (yeah i know) Has the Pentax, He loves it, but i've personally found it to be inferior to my 20D, All a matter of persomnal preferance.
    When shopping for my wife's digital superzoom, I was looking at the Fuji and Canon. I ended up getting the Fuji based on reviews. I am sorry I did. I like to print things big and the Fuji has tons of noise beyond ISO200. My buddy got the Canon and has none of those issues. The ImageQuality just wasn't what I was expecting.

Basically, what I'm saying is, make sure you have a return period if you end up not liking the image quality or something else. Whether it's the Pentax, Nikon or Canon, it's a good idea to try before you buy(for a couple days) or have the option to return it. That's the only good thing about buying local. You get that benefit, but you do pay for it.

Dug
    for the Point and Shoot superzooms, i've heard very nice things about the Canon S3-IS. and its come way down in price the last 6 months or so.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE=Mr_Bester;163282]When shopping for my wife's digital superzoom, I was looking at the Fuji and Canon. I ended up getting the Fuji based on reviews. I am sorry I did. I like to print things big and the Fuji has tons of noise beyond ISO200. My buddy got the Canon and has none of those issues. The ImageQuality just wasn't what I was expecting. [/QUOTE]

I have a similar problem with my Panasonic LX2. I'm a Canon fan: I love their user interface and know it well. But when shopping for my latest camera, it came down to the Canon G7 and the Panasonic LX2. They were mostly equal, the major differences being the G7's lack of a wide-angle lens (I like wide-angle, as I take a lot of scenery shots), and the Panasonic having heavy-handed noise reduction and no RAW mode. I was a little disappointed after getting the Panasonic to find that the image quality above ISO200 is unusable for anything other than displaying on a monitor because the noise reduction kills the detail. Fortunately it's not a show-stopper and I'm very happy with the camera (except for some parts of its interface), but it's something I would have preferred not to have.
    It was between the S3IS and the S5200 fuji. IIRC, one of the plusses for fuji was RAW, but I don't remember for sure.
    Dug

edit: it may have been the S2IS...
  • With the money you save by buying the Canon and respecting it like the piece of sensitive electronic equipment that it is... [cough cough]

You’ll be able to get the Canon 70-300 II USM IS
    In glass image stabilizing is where it is at ~ not software stabilization like some of these cameras.

For your close shots ~ well not sure of exactly you skill level or how you are going to shoot you macro or wide-angle stuff but:
    EF 50mm f2.5 (drool) Compact Macro
    Or
    EF 28mm f/1.8 (hmmmm) usm
    Or
    ER 85mm f1.8 USM

Also ~ B&H Photo video is a great place and can be trusted unlike some fly by night photo dot coms…
    The guy i was talking about who is the pro photographer, likes to annoy me by showing me his glass, He's prolly got about $20,000 worth of lenses, the bastard

the 70-300 II USM IS is a sweet lens, costs a bit tho, lol

as for the Fuji/Canon P&S, i made the same mistake with my daughter, for christmas last year she wanted a new digital, and it was between the S3-IS, or the Fuji S3200, at the time the S3-IS was almost $200 more expensive. and i'd had really good luck with my old Fuji, and the reviews were comperable. so we got her that one. I wish i'd gotten her the S3-IS, as now she's already looking to relpace the S3200. don't always trust what the reiviews say.