Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Why i hate the French (general Rant, Don't take offense if you are french)

Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
I know, the French are generally regarded as Rude, i tried to not believe this despite overwhelming proof.

So here i am, sitting at work, having just found out that a good friend if mine was in a serious motorcycle accident when this woman goes behind the counter where the printer is. Now that area behind the counter is clearly marked "EMPLOYEES ONLY BEYOND THIS POINT" and it is roped off on one end.

So i go up to her and say "ma'am, this is an employee only area, I would be happy to get your print job for you" she ignores me completely, and stares straight forward.

So i try again "Excuese me Ma'am" No reply, stares straight forward, so finally, i try once again, only louder and slower "MA'AM" finally she looks at me, i say "this is an employee only area" she flips her hands at me and turns back to the printer. "MA'AM" she wanders off after collecting her print job.

She and her husband stay online for another 20-30 minutes, then they go up to the front counter to pay, an DEMAND an apology because i shouted at his wife. So i go up front after he walks out, and the guy looks at me, motions to me to come outside, and starts berating me, "She doesn't speak english" "Obviously you never travel" "Never shout at her again"

so i try and explain that if she had so much as LOOKED at me and acknowledged my existance when i spoke to her, instead of me having to talk at her 3 flipping times" and he continues on the "well she doesn't speak english" "She didn't understand"

WEll she understood that someone was TALKING to her didn't she? a simple "Je ne comprendes pa" would have sufficed. but nOoooo she had to ignore me completly,

So the guy continues berating me, when i finally say "Look, she's french, not stupid, she knew i was talking to her"

the guy's parting words as he walks off muttering in french "Well next time maybe you should just shoot her for it"

Well yes, maybe next time i SHOULD. bastards.

Comments

• ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I don't think I have ever actually met a French person I liked

On a slight aside, my mum sent me this in an email today:

The English are feeling the pinch in relation to recent terrorist threats and
    have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved." Soon, though,
    security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross."
    Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the blitz in 1940 when tea supplies
    all but ran out. Terrorists have been re-categorized from "Tiresome" to a
    "Bloody Nuisance." The last time the British issued a "Bloody Nuisance" warning
    level was during the great fire of 1666.

Also, the French government announced yesterday that it has raised its terror
    alert level from "Run" to "Hide." The only two higher levels in France are
    "Surrender" and "Collaborate." The rise was precipitated by a recent fire that
    destroyed France's white flag factory, effectively paralysing the country's
    military capability.

It's not only the English and French that are on a heightened level of alert.
    Italy has increased the alert level from "Shout Loudly and Excitedly" to
    "Elaborate Military Posturing." Two more levels remain: "Ineffective Combat
    Operations" and "Change Sides."

The Germans also increased their alert state from "Disdainful Arrogance" to
    "Dress in Uniform and Sing Marching Songs." They also have two higher levels:
    "Invade a Neighbour" and "Lose."

Belgians, on the other hand, are all on holiday as usual, and the only threat
    they are worried about is NATO pulling out of Brussels.

The Spanish are all excited to see their new submarines ready to deploy. These
    beautifully designed subs have glass bottoms so the new Spanish Navy can get a
    really good look at the old Spanish Navy.
  • Vorlons in my HeadVorlons in my Head The Vorlons told me to.
    I was in France a few years ago. I found the trick to getting along was just to not speak in english, or at least not in an american accent to them. I tried speaking in spanish first and see if they understood. Point is as long as they think you are not american they are nice to you :D
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    Well i gathered by his "just shoot her" response, that they think all americans are pistol packing cowboys.

i'm still pissed, gah,.
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    I am not british, but I still hate the french..

And most germans.

hehe.. Does someone have that dancing stick figure of Hitler? ;)
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    This reminds me of an incident in London a few years back. I was waiting at Victoria Coach Station to come home.

The station was built so the passenger waiting area is sealed off (by glass) from where the coaches park and load up. Access to the loading area is restricted until the coach pulls right up to the door because it's not exactly a safe place to go walking.

There was no real queue but plenty of people obviously waiting for the same coach as me, which was parked in the loading area but not ready for boarding. This French couple were obviously not going to wait, so they go up to the door, through it and wait on the other side (ignoring the signs warning passengers to stay inside the waiting area until they're called). So when the coach pulls up, a queue forms inside. The French couple try to get on but the driver stops them and sends them back inside...to the end of the now very long queue, much to the amusement of my travelling companion and everyone else who was watching.

Worf
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE=ShadowDancer;163411]The English are feeling the pinch in relation to recent terrorist threats and
    have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved." Soon, though,
    security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross."
    Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the blitz in 1940 when tea supplies
    all but ran out. Terrorists have been re-categorized from "Tiresome" to a
    "Bloody Nuisance." The last time the British issued a "Bloody Nuisance" warning
    level was during the great fire of 1666.[/QUOTE]

The great thing about that bit is that it's so true. The British survived the Blitz, and yet the terrorists think they can win by blowing up a few trains and a bus. And at least the Nazis had the guts to deliver their bombs in plain sight.
    The funny thing is the V1's and V2's which routinely hit them were pretty much intended to have the same demoralizing effects as terrorists expect their bombings to have. If hundreds or thousands of those V1/V2 strikes had no effect on their will, blowing up a few buses certainly won't.
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    That reminds me, earlier today I remembered that e-mail chain letter about [url=http://www.snopes.com/rumors/pershing.htm]preventing terrorism though desecration and war crimes[/url] and thought, "Why would mutilating terrorist corpses stop them? It doesn't stop [i]us[/i] when they do it."

It seems that you just can't rule by fear anymore, no matter who you are.
  • AgimaAgima Trainee
    Someone said that "Arrogance and stupidity, all in the same package..." This could certainly be applied in this case! ;)

That said, a situation like yours could have happened to anyone, regardless of their nationality. I'm absolutely positive about this. I mean in the end, we are all individuals, with our own mind and good/bad manners. I can't really think that Frenchs are all "chauvinistic people", nor that Americans are all "arrogant people" either. That would be putting people all in the same basket, which is the wrong thing to do. I'm sure you understand that.

And I'm not taking offence, since I'm French, French Canadian that is!

Now I can safely go back lurking! ;)

EDIT : Oh yes, I have just remembered something funny about your incident and another one that happened yesterday. You maybe know about Nicolas Sarkozy's (France President) altercation with an autorized photographer on Lake Winnipesaukee? Apparently he jumped into the photographer's boat and began yelling at him... in French! Photographer couldn't understand a word of what he was saying! I don't know exactly what Sarkozy was shouting at the photographer (something about wanting a bit of privacy maybe?) Ah! That magnificient language barrier! ;)
    Entilzha, seems you're not the only one to be yelled at by a french person recently. These two photographers went through a similar experience :D Actually this sounds eerily similar to your experience.

[url]http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/08/06/sarkozy.holiday.ap/index.html?iref=newssearch[/url]
    That is certainly true. There are arrogant people everywhere.
  • AgimaAgima Trainee
    Vorlons in my Head :

Hehehe, I was adding that exact incident into my first message while you replied!
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    I read about that as well, i didnt even think of the similarity, lol
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Regarding the UK and terrorists, I was watching a dvd of an Irish comedian I quite like, Dara O'Brian who perfectly encapsulated the British response to the bombings in London. I cant remember exactly what he said so I'm paraphrasing slightly here:

"You Londoners, you're response was just so British! If it was America there would be people running around screaming and crying. All you did was go "Oh my god, the Piccadilly line has been bombed! That's terrible! Now I'm going to have to get off 2 stops later and change onto the red line, then get the bus and walk for 5 minutes to get to work!"

Its funny because its so true! :D
  • I think Agima is right, there are assholes of every nationality, but I believe that the "don't speak no English" was an excuse.

I visited France and I didn't have any problems, actually, but like Vorlons in my Head I avoided speaking in English. I know a bit of French so I tried that first (not very successfully if their faces were a hint!)
    Fact is, not everyone in France speaks English, but those that did had no problem speaking to me in English (I guess they preffered it greatly to my broken French).

BTW Agima: I have recently visited Quebec city and Montreal. lovely cities. I must say that I understand Quebecois French better.
  • AgimaAgima Trainee
    In general, you always know when someone is trying to tell you something, no matter what language that person is using. You may not understand what that person is saying, but within a certain context, you should have a pretty good idea... unless you were really not paying attention, and that goes for both persons. Communication goes both directions after all.

Capt. Montoya : Yes, Montréal and Québec, especially the Old Québec, are lovely cities indeed. I live one, and two hours respectively from those cities. Glad you enjoyed your visit there!
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    Yeah I have that dvd as well Shadowdancer. He's a very funny guy and quick witted. I also love the way he talked about Irish people going to England today, "Your going to England?? Sure that place is full of terrorists!" Brilliant :D
    Oh yeah and my experience with the French has been mixed. I went skiing in Val Thorens a few years ago and found pretty much all the ski resort staff to be simply rude and ignorant. Nice really since my bloody money was helping pay their wages.
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    I like Dara O'Brian as well.. I would recommend the british quiz show QI (Quite Interesting)..

It's a very devious show in giving facts within entertainment, and best of all, the host and most of the guests are usually damn funny.
    Indeed it is a very clever show and wonderfully topical as well.
  • CiberCiber Earthforce Officer
    just one quick coment , dont hate people from Mexico, we are nice ^____^

and by the way we are all HUMANS!!!!!!!!!! we should be hating the martians!!!! or venutians!!!!!!!
    It seemed appropriate, today's [URL="http://www.reallifecomics.com/"]Real Life Comic[/URL]

Worf
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    I'm starting to suspect you guys are mistaking the Parisians with the French. :D

There is more to France than Paris... and name one large metropolis where it doesn't smell like urine? :D Yeah, I can't think of one either...
    I didn't write it :p

Worf
    [QUOTE=WORF;163805]I didn't write it :p

Worf[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying you did, and I'm not even disagreeing. It just so happens that there is in fact a concentration of arrogance and stupidity in that particular city.

On the other hand it's also one of the most prolific, cultural and scientific centers of Europe.

Nobody's perfect. :D
  • DaxDax Redshirt
    Halifax is a large metropolis! (:P) and it smells like ocean :D
  • AnlaShokAnlaShok Democrat From Hell
    Chicago doesn't smell like urine.
    Neither does Auckland. Singapore, Taipei, Tokyo, Osaka and Brisbane didn't either. HK smells like all sorts of things I don't want to identify.
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    [quote=Biggles;163811]HK smells like all sorts of things I don't want to identify.[/quote]

Curz?
    Next thing you are going to claim is that the entire Asian subcontinent smells like cherry blossoms. I can only imagine what Hong Kong may smell like, but it's probably quite aromatic. :D

The Atlanta airport smells like urine and sweat, but then you have Orlando airport which is as clean as a whistle (and quite the opposite). But then most of Florida stinks, and that's due to the organic material that's rotting in the swamps... it may not smell like urine, but it doesn't smell like roses either (sulfuric, rotten eggs...).

I've been to Paris only a couple times and indeed the subways in summer are not the place you want to be (see Atlanta airport)... Frankfurt has also smelly corners, and so does Brussels, but all public places are somewhat prone to neglect. People in general don't care about keeping public places clean and certainly not when they are walking their dogs. There are public bathrooms but not for pets. Ironically public bathrooms often smell like lavender... which kind of kills that scent for me, because I keep getting reminded of public bathrooms. :D

As for the smell of the ocean, that's a matter of taste, not everyone likes it, in fact, I can't eat fish that tastes like ocean, I find it quite revolting. :D