Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Dr Who to be Axed after Season 4 Maybe

In BetweenIn Between The Ultimate Lurker
:angryv:Sorry to report this.:angryv: Apparently the work is too hard and Davis wants to do other things. Here is the Linky

[url]http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2001320029-2007250185,00.html[/url]

If its any consultation the Sun is a British Tabloid newspaper known to sensationalize things. Not the most reliable source of info.

Comments

• SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I call Shenanigans on this.
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    I'll go get my broom!

Jake
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    I very much doubt that the bbc would not continue Doctor Who if RTD left.
    Its continually one of their highest rated dramas, and there's probably a few talented show-runners who would love to try their hands at it.

Also, the Sun, not really a highly trustworthy source...
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    [URL="http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcast/story/0,,2092376,00.html"]Fear not![/URL]

Ok, so it's not quite as good as an official reply but better than nothing.

Worf
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    No, the Sun isnt known for its high quality journalism....

I never get past page 3 anyway :D
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    As I understand it, an actual, literal steaming pile of fresh bull shit would contain more truth than the average issue of The Sun.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Davies leaving would have no effect on Doctor Who being made. The programme has been through so many producers, writers and actors that it'll take the death of the 13th Doctor to stop it, if even that can.

[QUOTE=ShadowDancer;161221]No, the Sun isnt known for its high quality journalism....

I never get past page 3 anyway :D[/QUOTE]

Is that the page that the Photo is on?
    [QUOTE=Biggles;161231]Davies leaving would have no effect on Doctor Who being made. The programme has been through so many producers, writers and actors that it'll take the death of the 13th Doctor to stop it, if even that can.
    [/QUOTE]
    I very much doubt that the Doctor won't find a work-around for that 12-regenerations-limit. Spoiler: if the master can, so will he

[QUOTE=Biggles;161231]
    Is that the page that the Photo is on?
    [/QUOTE]
    I'm pretty sure that they have more than one photo each issue, but if you mean the "special" photo... well they're not called "Page 3 Girls" by coincidence ;)
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    RC: Precisely :D
  • sataicallistasataicallista High Priestess of Squeee!
    Hahahaha are they kidding? DW is a high speed bullet train of a show with massive support all around. It's not stopping anywhere anytime soon. In fact, I was highly amused by RTD's wacky Introduction in the Series 1 Shooting Scripts book in which he mentions the series still running strong in 2037 and I think it's more than likely. Who has got to be the most flexible Sci-Fi show ever made. It's built to survive.

Edit: Of course RTD hasn't confirmed he'll be on for the 5th season...because the 5th season itself hasn't been confirmed yet! That's kind of a no-brainer right there.
    I think they should hire me to take over :)
    I don't think the world could handle a bright green Dalek. Or the Daleks actually winning.
    You've obviously not seen the Doctor Who movies which featured brightly coloured Daleks.

And they've won before too :)

Worf
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    I heard about this on LBC (London radio station) so it's quite likely it will happen.
    Worf: I clearly have not. :P
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    I'm not a huge fan Dr Who but this storyline got me thinking. So the main guy behind the show wants to leave... and wasn't JMS in London recently talking to the BBC???
    I could go with that :)

Too bad he would have given us a Vorlon like awnser if we had asked him.

Worf
    Yes I'm sure if we did ask him the question his reply would be "who?" :p
    [QUOTE=Falcon1;161303]I'm not a huge fan Dr Who but this storyline got me thinking. So the main guy behind the show wants to leave... and wasn't JMS in London recently talking to the BBC???[/QUOTE]

Sorry for resurrecting this, but i always forgot to post my thoughts:

I highly doubt that jms is going to produce a british tv-show. It would require him to basically move to england for at least half a year.

One thing that needs mentioning is that he also was in Berlin for a business meeting. Now, with whom could he have met there? Well, for one, the Wachowski's are there filming speed racer. And JMS is a fan of the Matrix Movies. And he is on good terms with WB. So it's IMHO much more probable that he's gonna do a Matrix-TV show than take over Doctor Who :D
  • In BetweenIn Between The Ultimate Lurker
    There will be a Season 5 confirmed

:DHere is the BBC linkey:D

[url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/news/cult/news/drwho/2007/09/03/48471.shtml[/url]
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    What's with all the "urlies" and "linkies" ??? :D

Have we run out of steers? :D
    I think we have the recent BBC budget cuts and Heroes to blame for that. The BBC have spent a lot of money to secure first broadcast rights for Heroes here and I imagine they want to hold onto it since Sky keeps stealing shows from them.

Worf
    There's also the fact that David Tennant will be busy with the RSC.
    Personaly, i see the one year break as a blessing in disguise:
    1) there's still gonna be 3 specials
    2) Everyone involved in the production can take a break and work on something else, thus returning with new energy and enthusiasm for the 5th season.
    Also the BBC is ploughing money into this stupid iPlayer app. There's even rumors now that Top Gear might not be coming back. Hmm I sometimes wonder why I pay my TV license.
    You know, i wonder that too... I don't even watch anything that's on our national tv channels, but i still have to pay....
    If you don't watch TV, you don't [i]have[/i] to pay, but not paying involves such a massive quantity of bureaucracy... :)
    actually, over here, as long as you have a device that can receive radio or tv signals (even if geographically there is no possibility for you to receive them), you have to pay. If you don't pay, and they find out, you have to pay a fine, and repay all fines for the time you had the receiver.
    No, you don't. You can go to the post office and ask to prove that you don't use the TV for receiving broadcast signals. They'll send someone around who'll check your TV and put a seal over the aerial plug. If you later remove that seal and start watching broadcast TV without telling them, and they find out (which they will), then you pay the fines. It's a very long, bureaucratic process, though.
  • sataicallistasataicallista High Priestess of Squeee!
    You know what this means though. If they're limiting production in 2009 to work around David's schedule, then it's extremely likely he's signed on for series 5. Yay!

It'll suck not having a full series in 2009 though. I hope something else good will be around to help me make it through.
    I'm still pissy about Tate returning. I [I]really[/I] didn't like her character. Otherwise, everything looks good. I'm curious as to what the 2009 specials will be. Standalone, greater arc, or what?