Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Dr Who to be Axed after Season 4 Maybe

2»

Comments

• RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    [QUOTE=Biggles;164703]No, you don't. You can go to the post office and ask to prove that you don't use the TV for receiving broadcast signals. They'll send someone around who'll check your TV and put a seal over the aerial plug. If you later remove that seal and start watching broadcast TV without telling them, and they find out (which they will), then you pay the fines. It's a very long, bureaucratic process, though.[/QUOTE]

In austria, you have. There's a valley in western austria that's basically cut off from the rest of the country. You can only get there via germany, and you can't receive any radio/tv-signals. So the inhabitants went to court, but the judge decided, they still have to pay, because they have a TV-Set with a receiver. The only way to get out of paying the fee is to not have any device with a receiver. It sucks, and imho the whole fee system needs to be abolished, because the national channel that is financed by it has about the same amount of ads as the private channels, and they use the money for reality shows, unfunny sitcoms, paying horrendous sums for broadcasting rights to sport events so the private channels don't get them.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Ah, you were talking about Austria? Well, then Austria, and particularly that judge, are stupid. :p
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I really dont think the crap we get on tv here is worth the £135 we have to pay for it. The only thing I ever watch these days that is consistently good is BBC News24. Admittedly I'd have watched Heroes and Rome if I hadnt already have seen them. Given a choice I definitely wouldnt pay to watch crap like Big Brother.....its more like "Oh Brother! :rolleyes:"

/rant
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    Catherine Tate's return makes me look forward to Torchwood and even The Sarah Jane Adventures more than series 4.

As for the 2009 specials, it's a good bet the last will be Christmas. If David Tennant is going to leave, it won't be then because they wouldn't want to upset people on Christmas Day. Maybe we'll have one for easter...and a "Haha, no series for you this year" special when they normally start broadcasting.

Worf
  • sataicallistasataicallista High Priestess of Squeee!
    I'm going to keep an open mind on Donna. You never know how her character might be different when written in different situations by different writers. But I know that won't change either of your minds. Nevertheless, I still fully expect Sanfam at least to watch series 4 with me. :P
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Yes, dear... :p
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    And we fully expect Sanfam to beat it mercilessly, if it so deserves.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    I believe [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXSCT1Oj2Tw"]this[/URL] to be the solution to the Tate problem ;)

Worf
  • I actually like her character.
    I did too. I thought she was funny, though I also think her character fitted a single story better. It will be interesting to see how they make her transition to a full series.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Biggles: If it so deserves it, then Is shall thoroughly tear it apart. The Finale of series 3 still hurts me, especially after re-watching the preceding episodes. It certainly makes them a great deal better ;)

And Worf, I had a thought. They need to bring Atkinson back again in another Comic Relief special. The idea could be that perhaps "he" could regenerate into an identical twin (identified by the presence of a mirror universe beard or such) or something equally silly. The story writes itself from there.
  • In BetweenIn Between The Ultimate Lurker
    Dr Who and a Hugo awards

Yep!

Dr Who won a Hugo for "The Girl in the Fireplace" Tennent and the girlfriend (Sophia Myles) have good chemistry on screen as well as off !!

[url]http://www.thehugoawards.org/index.php?page_id=127[/url]
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    I'm not sure "Fireplace" deserved it. The final resolution was, frankly, bizarre. Rennet had been talking about how the Doctor was able to just flit from one lifetime to another, while she had to take "the slow path." He finally decides to go back in time, even though it will trap him in the past, to save her. She reiterates how, now, he will have to take "the slow path" for a change. And then, suddenly, he finds out, whoops, not really trapped in the past.

Bwah?

It seems bizarre to me that the episode should so totally undercut the dramatic momentum it had been building. The way it should've ended is obvious. The Doctor is trapped in the past and resigns himself to living out the next couple of centuries on "the slow path." Mickey and Rose wait for him on the ship for a while to see if he finds some way back and then, satisfied that he hasn't, use the emergency recall on the TARDIS to go back to present-day London. As soon as they arrive, the Doctor walks up (in different clothing, of course) and greets them heartily, doing the same fake "I'm always all right" routine from the real ending of the episode.

I mean, as it is, it's as if "The Family Of Blood" had John Smith sobbing in the cabin about how he didn't want to die to bring the Doctor back, and then suddenly standing up and saying, in the Doctor's idiom, "Don't worry, guys, I've just been messing with you. I actually remember everything about who I am, I just wanted to see how long I could keep up the illusion. The watch just has my magic Time Lord powers. By the way, toss that bad boy over here, Tom. Tim. Whatever." It feels like a cheat made because the writers panicked about the possibility of too much character development in one episode.
    The way they worked out the problem was a bit weak, but everything else about the episode was so beautiful and emotional and clever I can't help but absolutely love this episode. I adore Steven Moffat so much! :D
  • It just seems they have a need to do something weak if the show is going too well. Make sure the kids don't get too scared.