Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

An Oh shit! moment...

JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
Working on a tune up for the Geo Metro today was interrupted by the sound of a low flying jet coming my way...

My first thoughts were an immenent plane crash, and then to my astonishment I had an X-Files moment.

A Stealth B2 flew directly over head no more than 500 feet above my house. Was flying slow for that kind of plane...

I learned later that there was an air show to the North...

:D

All I can say was WOW! ;)

Comments

• shadow boxershadow boxer The Finger Painter & Master Ranter
    *aircraft related boner by proxy*

flying slow in a plane like that is easier than most people think... its amazing what you can do with a bajillionbytes of processor power. The flight control adjustments are something like 25,000 times a second... pilots say that piloting either of the US's two major stealth assets is positively spooky, they effectively have NO quirks or odd behaviours or jiggles, the system reacts so fast it even cancels out the majority of little buffets and lumpy air. They fly like the veritable magic carpet.
  • [QUOTE=JackN;165217]

I learned later that there was an air show to the North...[/QUOTE]

That's just what they [B][I]want [/I][/B]you to believe...
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    [url]http://fotodj.com/Aircraft_Data/aircraft/B-2_Spirit.htm[/url]

I didn't have a camera available or I would have certainly taken a photo, but this is about the right height reference of what I saw...

Still amazing to have your home in a flight pattern for various military aircraft...

:)
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    If it had been night there would have been lot of UFO reports in your area...

[QUOTE=JackN;165217]Was flying slow for that kind of plane...[/QUOTE]Would you have preferred B-1 doing low altitude max speed?

Without payload flying very slow shouldn't be problem because of all that wing area...
    Actually minimum approach speed looks nice.
    [url]http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/systems/b-2-specs.htm[/url]
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    [QUOTE=JackN;165229][url]http://fotodj.com/Aircraft_Data/aircraft/B-2_Spirit.htm[/url]

I didn't have a camera available or I would have certainly taken a photo, but this is about the right height reference of what I saw...

Still amazing to have your home in a flight pattern for various military aircraft...

:)[/QUOTE]

That exact thing happened to me at school about nine years ago. Same plane, same low height. Probably for also an airshow, now that you mention it, but I never looked it up
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    One weekend I had the experience of being up at the barn and two C-137's came overhead in succession. Didn't have a camera for that one either...

Big f**king planes come through here I tell ya! :D
  • I work a mile from Whiteman AFB in Missouri, where the B-2s and an A-10 AFRES wing are stationed...I know what you mean about impressive, seein these guys taking of and landing I always have to just stop and watch!
  • FreezeFreeze Disguised as a Trainee
    Couple of years ago we had a military air drill nearby, and a trio of heavy group transport helicopters flew slowly over our car - from behind to front - when we were driving to work, maybe 300 feet above ground or a little lower.

Won't forget that, ever :D
  • FreezeFreeze Disguised as a Trainee
    JackN?:

Tune up? For a Geo Metro? That's like trying a turbocharge a snail .. what ... are you adding a motor into that? No more bicycling .. *hih* :D
  • [QUOTE=Freeze;165245]Couple of years ago we had a military air drill nearby, and a trio of heavy group transport helicopters flew slowly over our car - from behind to front - when we were driving to work, maybe 300 feet above ground or a little lower.

Won't forget that, ever :D[/QUOTE]

Had a similar encounter whilst on a coach to London a few years back - three Hercules transports flying low (and I mean [i]low[/i]) over the countryside to our left about 500 yards away in succession. Spectacular flying.

Seeing the Red Arrows practising up over Filton Airport last week was brilliant as well. :)
  • CurZCurZ Resident Hippy
    Sorry Jack. I'll discipline the crew and make sure they don't miss their target the next time.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    swamp gas

weather baloon

nothing to see here

move along
  • Vorlons in my HeadVorlons in my Head The Vorlons told me to.
    [QUOTE=shadow boxer;165220]*aircraft related boner by proxy*

flying slow in a plane like that is easier than most people think... its amazing what you can do with a bajillionbytes of processor power. The flight control adjustments are something like 25,000 times a second... pilots say that piloting either of the US's two major stealth assets is positively spooky, they effectively have NO quirks or odd behaviours or jiggles, the system reacts so fast it even cancels out the majority of little buffets and lumpy air. They fly like the veritable magic carpet.[/QUOTE]
    It actually is quite amazing how you can make a mostly aerodynamically unsound and nearly unflyable design and make it stay perfectly steady. I believe thats how the F-117 got its nickname of the woblin goblin. Two early prototype's crashed before the fly by wire systems were implemented.
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    Once had the opportunity to talk with a crew chief for one of the Thunderbirds, several of them had come through hobby shop where I was working.

He had been one of the first to crew the F117s while they were still under wraps. As part of the breifing, they had been shown the renderings of the plane. He said the general consenous of the mechanics in the room was that it wouldn't fly. Of course then they walked ot the hanger, and there it was, ready to go.

Jake
  • I had seen a faux battle off the 5 on the side of the ocean in Camp Pendelton. Trans port helicopters, tanks and troops in action.

Way better then the show at Edwords AFB.