Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

To Laptop or Desktop?

Well I've got $710 dollars to spend on a brand new machine. I'm considering waiting to February to pick up a quadcore laptop or build a decent quad core desktop machine now. Any suggestions?

I haven't built a machine strait up in 3 years so excuse me if anything goes over my head.

Comments

• Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    you'll most likely spend less for more on the desktop. if you are considering both, than a desktop replacement laptop is going to run you a lot more than a straight desktop.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Well it really depends what you want to use it for, on the move or at home only? Gaming or word processing?

I'd say go with a desktop, tho I do also have a laptop for uni
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    Where do you get any quad-core system for only $710?
    WEll, i built my Dual Core for about $1200 a year and half ago... i haven't priced out components lately, but i'd expect comperable for a quad core today, unless you skimp on parts.
    Exactly, I mean the quad-processor alone will take like 40% of your current budget. What about RAM? HDD space? Video card? PSU? Cooling system? You can't really do this on the cheap, unless you just want to do plain computations. What do you need a quad-core for if not to play the latest games? :)

And we are not even talking about a quad-core laptop.
  • JohnnyOnTheSpotJohnnyOnTheSpot Banned by request
    well im looking at new egg right now. Thats affordable. Im not doing any hardcore gaming, just the usual Civ 4, WOW. [URL="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103226"]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103226[/URL]

my biggest concern is the case actually. I think I can just about make my budget using my old drive.
    I forgot to mention the MOBO... anyway, if you go down the AMD road, you will get a better deal, I suppose.
    hmm was just checking video cards, thats were my budget gets totally jacked. I'd like a 512 8800GTS but is it necessary?
    Just for general knowledge... I'm running wow very nicely on a 7600, and it runs quite nice on the 8400GS in my Laptop at 1900x1280.

so no, i don't think the 8800GTS is needed, get a nice 8600 or 8400, and don't skimp on RAM my machine has 2.5gigs and i wish i'd gotten 4.

as for motherboards, i still love the ASUS Strikers.
    dually noted entil' zha. Heres what I'm looking [URL="https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/MySavedWishDetail.asp?BundleExist=N&ID=7558646"]at [/URL]
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I've got a 7900GS in my desktop which runs most things reasonably well, but for games like Crysis.....not so good :( I'll be looking to upgrade again in the summer after I've finished my placement; theres no point doing it now (even if I hadnt spent all the money I got for xmas) as I'll be away for 10 weeks and wont be able to use it.
    it doesn't seem to want to show me that wishlist..

I'm going to be upgrading to an 8xxx series viddy card soon, but it will most likely be an 8400 or an 8600, i just can't justify the cash on the 8800's.
    Aye the 8800's are just stupid money. That said, I would love to have one! :D How much of an improvement would even a 8400 be over my 7900?
    Yeah, i want one too, but not at the price difference.

i'm not sure how they compare to the 7900's, but i know they are quite an improvement over my 7600
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I definitely wouldn't call the 8800GT 512MB "stupid money." The GTS, yes, but not the GT. I got mine for not much more than I paid for the 8600GT two months ago, and the performance difference is enormous.
  • best bang for buck is the 8800gt so if you plan to do gaming it should be on your "to buy" list (maybe add an accelero s1 for aftermarket cooling as they seem to rock in combo with the gt).. can't wait for the card to _finally_ become available here :rolleyes:
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    As for cases, Antec is almost always good. We picked up a Lian Li for a system we scratchbuilt at work - [url]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112099[/url] - it's a nice case. Just ignore the idiot reviewers who were stupid enough to put the MOBO directly on the metal case rather than using the provided plastic offsets, and then had the system short out! :D
  • i can vouch for the case aswell, it's the same case i am using....get good fans though as i realized a big difference when i switched from some "normal" 120mm fans to noctua p12's (they rock for cooling but are rather expensive and hard to get in the US)
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    My question is, what are you expecting to get out of a quad core?

My input on the graphics card is that the 8800gt is indeed the best thing at the moment. You just have to find one first.
    [quote]Cons: the mobo mounts directly to the mobo tray no clips so my CPU shorted out, 120mm fan screw holes wouldn't line up with my radiator holes, scratches easily, PCI cards wouldn't fit the PCI slots adjustments had to be made[/quote]

That's hilarious.
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    yep :)

Especially since there [I]are[/I] standoffs, just no instructions on using them :p
    I wish they'd specified what "adjustments" they made to the PCI cards. Probably trimmed off that useless bit of wafer sticking out the bottom, the one with the copper lines on it.
    I've decided to hold off till the next pay check. A little more can go a long way.
    The more you can put into it now, the less you'll have to upgrade in 6 months....

7 months, now thats another story..
    [QUOTE=Entil'Zha;168601]The more you can put into it now, the less you'll have to upgrade in 6 months....

7 months, now thats another story..[/QUOTE]
    exactly :D
  • PJHPJH The Lovely Thing
    I must say that I don't know enough about the current PC parts to recommend any particular choices, but my advice is: don't get a laptop unless you really need it. Desktop is so much better in so many ways and like others have pointed out it gives more with the same amount of money. Desktop PC is a computer, laptop is a mobile substitution of it for those who need a computer to go with them. Only buy it if you need it.

- PJH
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE=Stingray;168525]I forgot to mention the MOBO... anyway, if you go down the AMD road, you will get a better deal, I suppose.[/QUOTE]Maybe in purchase cost, after that it's hard drop to ground.
    Both calculation power and heat production wise.
    [url]http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/amd-phenom.html[/url]
    [i]Unfortunately, Phenom processors cannot boast low power consumption rates. Core 2 Quad Q6600 that is on average about 7% faster than Phenom 9900 consumes less power in idle mode as well as under workload.[/i]
    [i]The performance of quad-core AMD Phenom processors based on K10 micro-architecture that is none other but enhanced and modified K8 micro-architecture proved considerably slower than any other quad-core processors from Intel Core 2 Quad family.[/i]

Note that Phenom 9900 is top model while those Intels are low end quad-cores.
  • Specifications:
    * Two 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (8-core)
    * 32GB (8 x 4GB) 800MHz DDR2 fully buffered ECC memory
    * Mac Pro RAID Card
    * 300GB 15,000-rpm SAS
    * 300GB 15,000-rpm SAS
    * 300GB 15,000-rpm SAS
    * 300GB 15,000-rpm SAS
    * NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 1.5GB (Stereo 3D, two dual-link DVI)
    * Apple Cinema HD Display (30" flat panel)
    * Apple Cinema HD Display (30" flat panel)
    * Two 16x SuperDrives
    * Apple Mighty Mouse
    * Apple Keyboard (English) + Mac OS X
    ------------------
    Subtotal $23,897.00

Estimated Ship:
    3-5 weeks
    Free Shipping

apple store = fun :D
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    Just for a baseline, how much is it without the dual moniters?

Jake
  • still $20299 :rolleyes: