Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Shit happens... when engineers are left unsupervised.

E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
In end of November city of Nokia got "small" problems because some "technical waste water" aka partially filtered shit water got into water pipelines. As icing on the cake city posted warning only on their website when people were getting seriously sick. As result of it thousands got everykind stomache problems and there were few cases still needing hospital care around New Year and army has been distributing clean water an is still continuing it.

And guess what was the reason for this: One maintenance employee accidentally opening one valve.
[SIZE="3"][b]Some god damn fucking idiot(s) had designed system so that water pipelines and sewage pipes were connected to each others and only one valve separated them![/b][/SIZE]

[url]http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/0,1518,527057,00.html[/url]
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_water_supply_contamination[/url]

In equally stupid move Boeing 787 Dreamliner's data network meant for passengers is partially connected to flight control systems and every important system of plane.
Are they trying to create new ways for hijacking planes or what?
[url]http://www.wired.com/politics/security/news/2008/01/dreamliner_security[/url]
Or maybe Boeing outsourced designing and Micro$hit won.

Comments

• FreezeFreeze Disguised as a Trainee
    A new joke from Finland:

[i]Honey, remember to flush the toilet, so the Nokia residents have some water to drink ...[/i]
  • Stupid humans.
  • PJHPJH The Lovely Thing
    I don't know the details what happened in Nokia, but I have worked in a local water plants and I can't understand how that was even possible to happen accident or no accident, as I've never heard of the clean water plant and sewage plant being even in the same place. They are usually completely separate plants with completely different pipeline systems and located in different areas of the cities. And even if they were in one place there should be no reason that any of the pipes were connected in such a way, that mixing up sewage with clean water could happen.

And it sounds particularly strange, that the sewage could mix up with already fully cleaned water, meaning that the connection between the pipelines must be after the whole process, which means that the pipeline systems are connected in some way, which makes no sense at all. Only explanation I could think of is, that the pipelines are very old and the whole system has been modified over the years leaving some old unused connections, which haven't been in use anymore, but then the employee shouldn't have had any reason to touch the vent in the first place. Besides any normal engineer would've removed that connection if extensive changes in the system were done, so that there wouldn't be even a possibility that something like this could happen.

Really strange incident indeed. Would be interesting to know some details about that plant and what happened.

- PJH
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    Actually the story makes no sense at all because water pipes and sewage pipes have different diameters. Sewage pipes aren't under pressure either, but tap water pipes are. Even if there were a valve, the tap water would flow into the sewage pipe and not vice versa.

And the guys connecting the pipes aren't engineers either.

Myth, busted!!
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    The 787 story reminded me of that Simpsons episode where they're flying somewhere and Bart is playing on a gameboy, told to switch it off and the plane starts falling out the sky, switches it on and its ok.

:D
  • PJHPJH The Lovely Thing
    [quote=Stingray;168823]Actually the story makes no sense at all because water pipes and sewage pipes have different diameters. Sewage pipes aren't under pressure either, but tap water pipes are. Even if there were a valve, the tap water would flow into the sewage pipe and not vice versa.

And the guys connecting the pipes aren't engineers either.

Myth, busted!![/quote]

There is actually a lot of variation in diameter of pipes in all water systems. Even the same pipeline can get wider or more narrow along the way as needed.

Clean water pipeline system has a few bars of pressure and it varies quite a bit, but there is also pressure in sewage pipelines when sewage is pumped from one place to another, but yes it sounds a bit strange it could mix up so efficiently anyway. Apparently the clean water pipeline happened to have lower pressure where the mix-up happened.

Like I said it's an interesting case and would be interesting to know more in depth about the local system and what happened.

- PJH
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    The bottom line, E.T. isn't a good storyteller. :D