Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

June 19, 2008

2»

Comments

• Dose the Rising Star comic have anything to do with Rising Star in B5?
  • Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
    Nope. It is its own thing entirely.

Also 8.1 is a marketing ploy to make you think you need a new receiver. Dolby and DTS don't support anything above seven channels (three front, three back and a sub). No films are mixed in anything above that and in fact few dvds are even mixed in 6.1.

Dolby experimented with 10.2 but I doubt the home consumer will see anything like that for at least a decade or so. Anyway 5.1 is good enough!
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    Yet...

ANd they dont need to convince me i need a new reciever, i Do need one, and if i'm getting one, it might as well be as upgradable as possible for future goo, which means at least 7.1.

persoanlly i dont care about the rear center, i just want 2 rear, 3 front and 2 side.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Some testing was done by a home theater magazine about a year or two ago to determine if the benefits of a properly configured 7.1 or 10.2 system could be detected by the average listener. I'll just cut to the chase and let you know that they generally couldn't. It's number-pushing at its finest. Just like the megapixels war in cameras, just like the superzoom wars in camcorders, and the wattage wars in personal stereos, etc...they are numbers that generally don't relate to quality.

Future upgradability is nice, but marketing gimmicks aren't about the future. How many VHS DA+ tapes to you have? Qsound DVDs?
  • DarthCaligulaDarthCaligula Elite Ranger
    OMG D00D lTZ T0MOR0W!1!1!!!1
  • Quadrophonic Sound was actually the best, but it never got standardized and had no popularity when it was around. Thus its sad but inevitable death.
  • Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
    Nothing new. Just an article saying how awesome he is. Big deal.

[url]http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117987706.html?categoryid=3173&cs=1[/url]
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE=Biggles;173639]inevitably turns out to be something really boring[/QUOTE]

Vindication! :p
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    The thign is, the 7.1 systems i'm looking at, are not that much more than the 5.1 systems i'm looking at, for a little more coin, i'll get the extra speakers. if it was a LOT more, then no way. i mean i am after all trying to buy a house and stuff.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    I wasn't really expecting anything because the big news already happened, JMS is working on feature films. So hiring Ron Howard's dad to play John Sheridan's father was a smart move. :D
  • Mr_BesterMr_Bester Earthforce Officer St Louis MO
    If you've got a lossless 7.1 source, you can hear a distinct difference. If you have a 5.1 source, 7.1 is faked. If you want to future proof for bluray, go for the 7.1 with HDMI(not passthrough) and DTS-HDMA and Dolby TrueHD decoding. If you have a ps3, you only need the non pass hdmi.
    Dug
  • Are the rest of the Lost Tales lost forever, then...? Too early to tell, I know, but long enough after "Voices" to wonder.
  • Looked to me like JMS said he won't do any more tv writing.

Red. TLT are movies so they may yet be done. Movies are good but tv can develop a story so much better.
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    Well JMS is going to be globe trotting doing research for a new project. Me thinks Lost Tales 2 won't be happening any time soon.
    [QUOTE=Seafroggys;173857]Quadrophonic Sound was actually the best, but it never got standardized and had no popularity when it was around. Thus its sad but inevitable death.[/QUOTE]

I love quadraphonic for the novelty factor alone. Somewhere here, I have a set of four flaming lips CDs that are intended to be played synchronized from devices surrounding the listener such that they each provide two channels of a total eight.

Also, this doesn't seem to me to be a no-go for future Lost Tales. Perhaps a delay, but it doesn't even give away anything of interest. However, said post was from June 17, not June 19. So will there actually be anything announced today, or no?

for those unaware of what we're referring to...
    [quote="JMS on June 17, 2008"]
    I apologize for the cryptic nature of what follows, but in time this
    will all be cleared up.

Starting mid-July into August and possibly September, I'm going to be
    traveling quite a lot in researching a new movie project that I
    cannot, for the moment, announce. (Not Lensman, this is a different
    project, and I've already started on Lensman.) Suffice to say that
    the research stage is going to be extensive in the extreme.

The main emphasis is on advanced technology. If someone who can do
    the math were to look down the road a million years and see what
    advances might be there, based on what we know now, what would that
    look like? Advanced tech here covers warfare, living, toys,
    environment, health, media, space travel, you name it. Everything
    that a civilization a million years more advanced than we are might
    use or encounter.

Secondarily to this would be information on planetary physics and
    alien biology.

To that effect, my intent is to visit as many of the following places
    as possible: NASA Florida, the Wright-Paterson Air Force Base High
    Technology Labs, MIT, CalTech, and any other places that seem like
    good prospects. (If there's anything missing from that list, feel
    free to add it.) I'm going to listen, ask questions, and try to keep
    up. And no, there's no money involved, though if anyone proves to be
    insanely helpful, I can try to work out a consulting credit. No
    promises.

The studio is going to help with some of the legwork here, they say
    they can get me into Wright-Pat, but we'll see...even so, the ways of
    studios grind very slowly. So I turn to you lot for assistance since
    a number of you either are, or know someone who is, directly involved
    with this stuff.

So...let the games begin.

jms[/quote]
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    I wonder if that's something B5 related, we've seen a glimpse of how things are a million years from now.

But I'm thinking it's something completely new, he's already familiar with the B5 universe and wouldn't need such extensive research on how things would work.

Worf
  • DarthCaligulaDarthCaligula Elite Ranger
    Really though, we can't predict how things will be in a million years in the detail he's talking about. Could someone from the time when the pyramids were being built have predicted the Internet? Or video games? Or the things we now know about the cosmos? I think JMS did a good job in B5 with the First Ones, and that part of that was that he avoided going into too much detail, that we just can't predict something like that. It's like G'kar talking about the First Ones and comparing us to ants.
    Ants [I]with Crysis.[/I]
  • [QUOTE=Chaosed;173873]Looked to me like JMS said he won't do any more tv writing.[/QUOTE]

Hardly. From his [url=http://www.jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-17711]June 7 post[/url]:

[QUOTE][B]Then off again to London for meetings
    with several production companies regarding TV projects[/B], and a meeting
    with director Paul Greengrass on They Marched Into Sunlight, for Tom
    Hanks' company, before flying back to LA for four days of massive
    jetlag. [/QUOTE]

Emphasis mine. And don't forget the [url=http://www.jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-17698]TV project he's been working on with the filmmaker group.[/url]

Jan
  • PSI-KILLERPSI-KILLER Needs help
    so what is it then? Sorry I am slow.
  • Jan, I hope that makes me wrong! :)