Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

War With Russia?

JohnnyOnTheSpotJohnnyOnTheSpot Banned by request
Well I never thought it was possible but I think in a few months if Russia keeps up its current trend we will be at war with Russia. Recently read the news about [URL="http://news.google.com/news?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=georgia&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=news_group&resnum=6&ct=title"]Georgia[/URL] and it doesn't look good. Since when does Russia go after a democratic state? Any opinions?

Comments

• StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    How about: "Don't wake a sleeping giant/dragon?"
  • Been a crazy weekend...but why the hell did Georgia attack russia?!?

My guess is they are going to be absorbed back into Russia as a result.
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE=JohnnyOnTheSpot;174940]Since when[/QUOTE]Since western world overlooked the fact that Stalin was equally quilty to second World War as Hitler.

And reason this time: Same as for liberating Iraq...
    [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Baku_pipelines.svg[/url]
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    Georgia moved on some break away regions that border with Russia. Russia responded by sending troops into these areas to protect pro-Russian people. Its all gone a bit messy now. Georgia hasn't got the military resources to fight them so in a way were stupid to start this. But that doesn't excuse Russia from thinking they can steam role them like ants. Unfortunately thousands will suffer because the west needs Russia on Iran.
  • JohnnyOnTheSpotJohnnyOnTheSpot Banned by request
    Ohh I guess I misread the article I thought Russia initiated the attack. Man whoever is running Georgia is an idiot. Why would they even think about going up against them.
  • Indeed....

I'm surprised gas prices havn't shot up...I filled up as soon as I saw the news saturday assuming they would...
  • Well, that's how we are told that Georgia initiated it all. But where I come from, I wouldn't trust that so blindly.

Even if the Georgians made the stupid move (Their president appears to be an idiot, so yes, it is possible), it has been proved that Russia is still the same country that it has been in the past. But hey, this time they are peacekeepers in peace forcing operation.

Hopefully Ukraine will stay out of this...

Though, if I'd need to find something good about the situation.. At least they are doing this only for their neighbors, not to people living on the other side of the world. Yeah... "Great"...
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Funny how Russia is against getting involved in other nations' internal problems until it involves a chunk of a nation that wants to join Russia...
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE=JohnnyOnTheSpot;174956]Ohh I guess I misread the article I thought Russia initiated the attack...[/QUOTE]In certain sense it's Russia which has been attacking with their "peacekeepers" for years.
    Russia hasn't even been treating South-Ossetia like it would be independent country instead of controversial part of Georgia because giving any response to South-Ossetia's independence claim would have confirmed independence claims of areas like Kosovo and Russia itself has lot of areas inhabitated by people with entirely other ethnicity and culture than Russian and who've never had a single reason to like Moscow. (but all reasons to hate it)
    Russia has had decades of problems in the caucuses. There is still a problem in Grozny. A few years ago there was a website called Qoqaz.net that had videos of the actual muslim commanders and various field operations that we're being run. Very interesting but shortly after 9/11 it went down. I still remember that muslim commander shamil Basiyev or something, Beared guy with a beret, corner stone of any terrorist is the beard.
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    Yeah I remember about that muslim commander. Grozny seemed to be Russia's Iraq for a long time, i.e. a long drawn out war with high casualties and a public growing tired of it. They will need to be careful not to repeat this with Georgia.

I don't know much about Georgia but I have read that both them and Russia consider themselves close a countries. It would seem the politicians think otherwise.
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    I remember how the finnish started the war with russia during world war 2 by invading them.

Oh wait.. It was actually them that started it. Oopsies.
    haha REFA you crazy guy. :D

And I'm pretty sure the war in Grozny is still ongoing though not as big a scale as it was in 99.
  • [URL="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/10/AR2008081001870.html?wpisrc=newsletter"]Washington Post Article By A Clinton Deputy Assistant Secretary of State[/URL]

Here is a good article if you want more facts rather than the ongoing speculation. The article is from a former administraton since somehow that makes it more credible these days.

Georgia did not attack Russia by any stretch of the imagination.

The UN, EU, and NATO can't get their act together to even make some kind of condemnation statement even during the Olympics? I'm embarased.
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE=Falcon1;174988]i.e. a long drawn out war with high casualties and a public growing tired of it. They will need to be careful not to repeat this with Georgia.[/QUOTE]Wrong, Stalin II has media under tight control.
    Independent medias have been pretty much completely closed and if any of remaining tells the truth that media will be immediately closed.
    And if reporter still continues Kreml eventually murders him/her.
    Looks like Ivan has called a ceasefire. Doubt they'll leave the occupied territories anytime soon.
  • The Russians have been [URL="http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P1-54005963.html"]working on this[/URL] for years. They did the same thing in South Ossetia.

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu1vowrGV3I"]Interesting background information[/URL] from a man in Latvia who is an avid anti-Russian.

Russia had destroyed all 3 Georgian UAV's this spring. One of them was able to [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgGZ5q2fjJw&NR=1"]video[/URL] the attacking Mig 29. Russia denied the aircraft was theirs. Israel has sold them new ones.

We, unfortunately, live in interesting times.:alndance: