Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Stargate: Universe concept revealed

ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie."London, UK
[url]http://www.gateworld.net/news/2008/04/istargate_universei_revealed.shtml[/url]

Sounds like it could be interesting, but we'll see I guess. Then again, I thought Atlantis would be crap, but I was proved wrong there.

Comments

• SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    It doesn't appear to have much of a premise that would lend itself to recurring villains. I'm hoping they don't pull another bunch of replicators on us again.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    You know they will.

Worf
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    Zzzzzzzzzzzz
    If anything, I'm more curious about the possibility for a forked universe, with Stargate (the movie) sequels having been put back into strong consideration during the strike.
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    Interesting idea but they had better buck up their writing or this will just be another disappointment. So this has me wondering if season 5 could be the last for Atlantis? I know they said they will wait for its run to end before starting this new one, but I have a feeling Atlantis may have run its course. And we all know the final chevron hasn't be engaging for quite a while ;)
  • PSI-KILLERPSI-KILLER Needs help
    We will have to see what happens with this.
  • I think the entire idea of what the ninth chevron does is a bit underwhelming. They've maintained all along that you have to plot a course for the gate, thus inputting six symbols and a point of origin. Adding an eighth allows you to plot an inter-galactic course, by either adding an extra distance calculation or simply mapping each of the symbols to a possible destination galaxy.

And the ninth chevron, well all you have to do is scan the correct symbol into it, and it will magically plot a course for you to this automated Ancient ship that's been going for thousands of years? The Stargate shouldn't "just know" where this ship is. Dialing it should be like dialing a gate on any other ship, in this galaxy or otherwise - you have to know where it is, and then you input a seven or eight symbol address.

Hopefully they won't retcon a "PRESS HERE FOR AWESOME ANCIENT SPACESHIP!" button onto every DHD.
    Unless it's powered by Ancient Magic. Then i's a completely different case. Use of the ninth chevron for something like this seems to prety much be the sign of "Oh shit, we're out of ideas again." The biggest problem I've noticed with the show is that Joe Mallozzi just plain isn't good at making interesting characters. Hit plots and initial set-ups can be fairly neat, but then in come the characters to dull everything down just in time for a twist-filled conclusion. I miss the RDA supervision era.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    It seems [URL="http://www.gateworld.net/news/2008/12/robert_carlyle_cast_in_istargate.shtml"]Robert Carlyle[/URL] has been cast as one of the main characters in Universe. I must admit, its a surprise to me, as its not a role I'd have ever seen him in. On the other hand he is a quality actor, so maybe Universe wont suck totally
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    Well that is good news. Solid actor. I agree it is a bit of a surprise but nice to see him getting some US TV screen time. Maybe working along side Jack Bauer helped his case :)
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Indeed. I listened to the gateworld podcast this week tho, and none of them seemed to know anything about him. They were talking about watching Trainspotting, and I was sitting there thinking 'oh boy, you're in for a surprise!' :D
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I watched Trainspotting without sound and with Japanese subtitles 3 times last night. It was on a loop at the bar... It triggered a discussion about how versatile Robert Carlyle is, which revealed that there are people in this world who haven't seen Hamish Macbeth.
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    Excellent, at least now I can fall asleep to good acting.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    [QUOTE=Biggles;177968]I watched Trainspotting without sound and with Japanese subtitles 3 times last night. It was on a loop at the bar... It triggered a discussion about how versatile Robert Carlyle is, which revealed that there are people in this world who haven't seen Hamish Macbeth.[/QUOTE]

I take it that Trainspotting is a great movie. I'll have to check it out then. Hamish Macbeth, never even heard of it... well, the 90's might as well be the Dark Ages.

So what's your excuse for being at that bar for at least 5 hours straight watching TV of all things? :D
    It was on, and whenever we tried to turn it off someone in the bar would complain that they were watching the movie.
    I've never seen Hamish Macbeth, but I know of it.

Stingray: yeah its a great movie, but be prepared for it being nothing to do with trains ;) and Ewan McGregor is just awesome in it
    [QUOTE=ShadowDancer;177985]Stingray: yeah its a great movie, but be prepared for it being nothing to do with trains ;) and Ewan McGregor is just awesome in it[/QUOTE]

I gathered as much by the IMDb plot synopsis. The title might explain why I skipped the movie in the first place. :D I'm not a train person.
    Nope, its not really about trains ;)
  • ops
    [QUOTE=ShadowDancer;177997]Nope, its not really about trains ;)[/QUOTE]

Nope, definitely not. It's an ok movie, but it's not a movie I'd watch three times in a row. :D

Skintight jeans are definitely out of fashion. :D
    It's not a movie I liked watching 3 times in a row, either. :D
    Agreed, once is enough. :D
    What do you think of him as an actor tho? I think he's very good
    I've only seen him in the [I]Star Wars[/I] prequels, [I]The Island[/I], [I]Black Hawk Down[/I] and now [I]Trainspotting[/I] and I still don't really know what to think of him as an actor.
    So you have absolutely no opinion on the matter? ;)
    Well, I do, he's a fine actor but I just don't see him carry a whole movie. He blends in too much with the other cast on the set.

It's probably the roles he's been taking on, none of them make him truly shine. He's always part of a group somehow, even when paired with someone else or himself as in [I]The Island[/I], he never stands alone.

In the [I]Star Wars[/I] films he's one of many jedi knights and the fact that he's Darth Vader's former master doesn't change that. In [I]Black Hawk Down[/I] he's just another marine. In [I]Trainspotting[/I] he's just a junkie among many who just happens to make a smart move at the end.

Or maybe it's just that I need to see his other works. Somehow I don't think he gives off the aura of a leading man.

Other than Sean Connery I can't think of a Scottish actor who's done this. Liam Neeson, Sean Bean, Kenneth Branagh have proven themselves in that respect, but that's probably just because they are veteran actors (and not because they are Irish).

Ewan McGregor sure has potential and if he chooses his future projects wisely, he'll get roles that will bring out the best of him. He's likable in his own way just like Daniel Craig or Clive Owen are.
    Errr Stingray......Ewan McGregor hasnt been cast in Stargate, Robert Carlyle has ;)
    As long one of us knows what we are actually talking about we might perhaps get somewhere.

Of all the movies I've mentioned Robert Carlyle was only in [I]Trainspotting[/I].

So how did I get stuck on McGregor? :D I didn't even have anything to drink.

Anyway... I know Carlyle even less, so I can't much say about him. He's played secondary roles in some movies (The World is not Enough) I've seen or will see (28 Weeks later, 24: Redemption) and I agree he's quite a sleazy bastard in [I]Trainspotting[/I]. He's actually better than McGregor in that one... here I go again, dammit. :D
    Heh yeah I did wonder if you'd been drinking anything :p

I really like Ewan McGregor too. A friend of mine at Uni used to play football (that soccer to the yanks) with him when they were little
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    I like McGregor, he was great in Moulin Rouge.