Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

And so the end begins (Galactica) (S4.5 Spoilers through current episode)

Comments

• David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    Ooh, I just had another theory!

1. Baltar's Cylon Detector successfully detects Cylons, at least as long as it has a functioning nuke attached.
    2. Ellen and Boomer are the only people we know were run through the detector. Boomer's results were positive, but Baltar vowed never to say what Ellen got.
    3. Right before D'anna died in the Temple of Five, she told Baltar he was right about something, but she didn't get the chance to say what.
    4. Baltar build the Cylon Detector on the insistence of and with plans provided by Head Six, but as soon as he found a Cylon, she was telling him to keep the information to himself, making having a Cylon Detector (at least, a working one) relatively pointless. He could've just kept bullshitting people like he did with the fake spectrographic analysis of Doral's hair in the miniseries.

So, spoiler-coded in case I'm right. Spoiler: I think Baltar [i]did[/i] find out that Ellen was a Cylon, but kept it to himself just as he kept Boomer's nature quiet, primarily out of fear. It wasn't until New Caprica that he realized there might be something more going on there, and it also explains why he quickly leapt to the conclusion when first asking Caprica Six about the Final Five that she might not even recognize one if they were right in front of her. He mentioned his findings while he and D'anna were searching for the Final Five but wasn't sure if it wasn't just a glitch or something, and she confirmed it in her last moments.

And the reason Head Six made him build the Cylon Detector? She wanted to find the Final Five for her own reasons. That's why she didn't really care one way or the other when he found out Boomer, and why she told him not to do anything about it.
  • sataicallistasataicallista High Priestess of Squeee!
    [QUOTE=David of Mac;179353]Starbuck was always my favorite (at least, so long as her hair stops somewhere between the base of her skull and the tops of her shoulderblades, neither too boyish nor too domestic). Having a pair of pistols in her hands and obviously being combat-horny did not hurt her ranking.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=SpiritOne;179357]Actually, with the two pistols in her hand, kind of makes her hotter.[/QUOTE]

I agree, I was so hot for Kara kicking ass again. She is just plain gorgeous when she's angry. :D
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    There are times when she looks good and times when she doesn't.

Worf
  • Vorlons in my HeadVorlons in my Head The Vorlons told me to.
    Yeah there are very few times when she doesn't look good. Like when she's decompising in a crashed viper cockpit. The rest of the time she's always hot.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    I guess that's a compliment for an actress who's in a jump suit or camouflage most of the time (in this series anyway).

I'm partial to Boomer myself. :p :D
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    I would boom boom boomers boomies all night long and along the day...

She is partially (a large partial) one of the reasons I watch the show.. Or Grace Park as some know her..
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Nah, my favourite is Racetrack....even if she is a mutineer. But then I like the bad girls ;)
    Fuck, I like them all. Can I have them all? One big Girls of Galactica orgy? :D

Oh!! Those of you who are considering coming to I-Con, Nicki Clyne a.k.a. Cally Henderson is going to be there!!!!
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    [QUOTE=Vorlons in my Head;179199]Gaeta was the one guy who took a highly risky stance helping out in NC and nearly got strung up for it. Now it turns out everyone who almost killed him after all he helped them turns out to be the very same people he was fighting against. He's proven to be one of the characters with the strongest morals and only gets shit for it. I think it's a great story that he's still standing firm.[/QUOTE]

I disagree, Gaeta has always been holier than thou, hes judgemental and one-sided, he has no empathy and no morals, and that has been my sentiment for a long time, just read my posts during the civil war and especially after it. Gaeta gets shit because hes judgemental and on a high horse, and now his character has come into the open, and hell hopefully have to answer for all his flaws.

[QUOTE=Space Ghost;179195] Spoiler: I think Gaeta is going to get a bullet in his head before the end of the next episode, so those of us who don't like him anymore (or never did) will get some satisfaction. ;) We'll see.
    [/QUOTE]

Read the above. ;)

[QUOTE=David of Mac;179231] Spoiler: What if it wasn't originally the Final Five, but the Separate Six? When the Cylons created the human models, the first six were originals (or, at least, lacked memories of Earth), but by coincidence or mistake or design, the last six models ended up being revived Earth Cylons, and most of them resented the hell out of their metallic benefactors and left, going native within the Twelve Colonies. For one reason or another, Sharon decided not to go with her fellows from Earth, and embraced her place in the Colonial Cylons' new society.

It means the Earth Cylons would break down extremely cleanly. Three couples who all knew each other all survive the end of the Earth. It'd fit with Tyrol's relationship with Boomer. It could be foreshadowed (or echoed, depending on how you look at it) by Boomer turning against her model in the Cylon Civil War, just as she turned against the Final Five in the original Cylon split. It'd explain why the Sixes (and everyone else, for that matter. Remember "a [i]lower[/i] demon"?) always gave the Eights shit. They still remembered that they weren't part of the family. It'd explain why the only Cylon we ever saw that was ignorant of her nature and wasn't part of the Final Five was an Eight. And it'd explain why the Final Five and Significant Seven's numbers don't stick together cleanly. I'm inclined to trust Douglas's statement a bit more than Moore's, because Douglas also let slip some other accurate spoilers like Earth being the (well, a) Cylon Homeworld, whereas Moore has demonstrated that he's not above false or misleading statements to preserve surprises (though, now, it appears Starbuck really [i]did[/i] die in "Maelstrom...") And, of course, it's possible that they were both telling the truth, with Moore deciding the Final Five didn't have numbers, but telling Aaron they did so he'd get to enjoy having the highest number.[/QUOTE]

Very interesting theory, I will enjoy summarising the series after it has ended, I hope its as thought through as your theory if its not one and the same..
    [quote]I disagree, Gaeta has always been holier than thou, hes judgemental and one-sided, he has no empathy and no morals, and that has been my sentiment for a long time, just read my posts during the civil war and especially after it. Gaeta gets shit because hes judgemental and on a high horse, and now his character has come into the open, and hell hopefully have to answer for all his flaws.[/quote]

I think Baltar best summed it up when Gaeta was about to pop him during the NC exodus. He's an idealist. He's certainly judgemental, one-sided and has no empathy but I don't know if I'd say he has no morals, certainly everyone on this show has been short on morality at some point. He's no different and at the very least not any worse. He's hard set on duty and protocol and chain of command. We've seen it many times like when Dee was helping Apollo escape after Tigh declared martial law. He mentions following proper channels. This is a recurring theme with his character at almost every turn. He's cast out of most schemes by others because that is his weakness. He basically got his leg blown off because of it. Orders said return and he sure as hell was going to comply. He believes in chain of command and strict by the book duty. He's incapable of functioning outside of it and of independant thought. He feels everything he's worked for is breaking down and in the end he's just trying to restore what he knows. The cylons are the enemy they have been fighting and joining them corrupts his reality.
    Speaking of Starbuck. Katee Sackhoff begins her arc in Nip/Tuck next tuesday. Just saw the previews after todays episode and she looks good :D
  • Poor Laird:( Brought him back in the flesh just long enough to buy it.
    Yeah, I actually liked him. :(
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Which one was he again? I need to watch them all again anyway
    Laird was the deck chief, the one who wanted to check if Gaeta was really allowed to use the Raptor at the beginning of the episode and was killed with a wrench by Zarek because of it. He was originally the Pegasus deck chief, and was one of the conscripts Cain got off of the civilian ships they had found. She also kind of had his family executed at the time.
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Awesome character development off the screen so to speak then..
    Ah yes, I'd just forgotten that was his name
    [QUOTE=Messiah;179401]Awesome character development off the screen so to speak then..[/QUOTE]

Of all the people who have had it rough during this show, Laird's definitely in the top ranks of people who had it roughest, but he didn't let it get him down. He deserved a better ending than being bludgeoned by Tom Zarek, professional frak-up, ex-terrorist and wanna-be martyr, for having the audacity to do his job.
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    Striking your soul where it hurts is very BSG style, I guess, :P
    [QUOTE=David of Mac;179403][Laird] definitely [snip] deserved a better ending [snip] for having the audacity to do his job.[/QUOTE]

I would guess that statement about sums up the professional life of most people. There is a lesson to be learned here. Don't get too attached to what you do because nobody really cares more about your job than yourself. So there is no reason to act surprised if some deciders discard you like you are a nobody when you get in their way.
    [QUOTE=HuntSmacker;179404]Striking your soul where it hurts is very BSG style, I guess, :P[/QUOTE]

Indeed it is. That's one of the great things about this show. It isn't afraid to hurt your feelings.
    Oh shit! The quorum!!!
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    I can't believe they did that either VimH.

Spoiler: Just like every other episode, they find a pretty good way of asking more questions than they answered. We now know that Ellen does wake up in a resurrection pod, but where? Not with the Cylons we know obviously. How does she come back? What the hell did Gaeta mean when he said "Will anyone know who I am?". What the hell was going on with Galen in the Engine room, what the hell was that mark/scarring in the wall? Dammit I want answers, not more questions.

I did like the large group of people that joined up with Adama to retake CIC at the end. That was great. Stand against that Zarek!

I don't consider this a spoiler, because it happened in last weeks episode "The Oath", but usually they are pretty careful about certain things that they say. Have they ever had anyone say anything in Latin before? When Lee is rescued by Kara, and he is still overwhelmed by the fact that Skulls and Racetrack almost tried to murder him, Kara says "Semper Fracking Fi". Semper Fi of course being Latin for Always Faithful (The US Marine Corps motto). I can't recall any Latin being spoke before, but I don't speak it fluently so maybe I missed it.

Just wonder if it means anything, or if they were just using the phrase for effect.
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    I feel like I've been beaten to a pulp and put in hospital to recover after watching that episode. What a frakking rollercoaster.
    [QUOTE=SpiritOne;179447]
    I don't consider this a spoiler, because it happened in last weeks episode "The Oath", but usually they are pretty careful about certain things that they say. Have they ever had anyone say anything in Latin before? When Lee is rescued by Kara, and he is still overwhelmed by the fact that Skulls and Racetrack almost tried to murder him, Kara says "Semper Fracking Fi". Semper Fi of course being Latin for Always Faithful (The US Marine Corps motto). I can't recall any Latin being spoke before, but I don't speak it fluently so maybe I missed it.

Just wonder if it means anything, or if they were just using the phrase for effect.[/QUOTE]

Good catch. I hadn't noticed that. I'm not sure what it means or implies, if anything.
    Actually, it's [I]Semper Fidelis[/I]. :D
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    This confirms my theory that horrible events can be prevented with the proper anti itch cream.
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    well, watched the two latest episodes.. My only comment is "I love this show".
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    I was worried I'd fall asleep while watching (tired after digging around in the snow for about 2 hours).

But that was so intense and so well done that sleeping was impossible :D

Brilliant episode, I went back and watched last weeks immediately before hand too.

Worf
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    That was amazing in every way possible.

It's a shame that Gaeta never really put his ability to get things done to use in a way that worked out the way he had wanted them to. With this coup, his advisor was basically the same manner of corruption and deceit he was hoping to eliminate.

Also, Galactica is [URL="http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/youwillknowthetruth/index.php?pageid=140"]falling apart.[/URL] It's being abused well beyond its design limits. The entire ship has been through battle after battle without even the slightest inspection. Considering it was on the brink of retirement when we began, it seems as if the ship may not have even been in such great condition to begin with. Galactica's days are numbered, and I suspect this will come into play fairly soon.

[quote=Excerpts, The Book of Pythia]"And the lords anointed a leader to guide the Caravan of the Heavens to their new homeland." (The Hand of God)

"She also wrote that the new leader suffered a wasting disease and would not live to enter the new land. (The Hand of God)

"The scriptures tell us a dying leader lead humanity to the promised land." (Kobol's Last Gleaming, Part I) [/quote]

All of this literal interpretation everyone took upon themselves to make for so long also applies somewhat more accurately to the namesake of this series. Galactica is dying. It's wasting away from old age, metal fatigue, wear and tear, etc. The longer it is out and about, the worse it gets. [URL="http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/youwillknowthetruth/index.php?pageid=20"]This [/URL]also comes back with some potentially different meaning now. I am curious as to whether or not Anders is going to survive. At this point in the show, anyone is fair game. Another possibility of note is that Galactica could be the "Angel" in question. I'm far too thinky for this time of night.

Also, we got to see the FTL core. Megatechsquee :D