Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

A book thread...

13»

Comments

• sataicallistasataicallista High Priestess of Squeee!
    Aww, we don't carry the Kindle though, just the Sony Reader. Amazon is technically a competitor now since they broke with Borders so their technology is competition as well.
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE=ShadowDancer;179376]Yeah I'd love one too, but I'm waiting for the next generation models. But mainly I'm waiting as I want to see some more multifunctionality in them, like video play back[/QUOTE]Then it won't be even half assed device as reader.
    Electronic ink/paper has slow refresh (1-2s) and colour prototypes are lot slower than that so they don't work for anything requiring fast refresh.
    Again backlighted LCD is huge power sink and even OLED display would consume battery fast when showing static image.
    [url]http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_devices[/url]

As an idea iRex Iliad is excellent but as reader it sucks because electronics is lacking sleep mode so even though display doesn't waste power it has lousy battery life.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Yeah I dont think it'll be any time soon before we see them, but I can dream :)

If they start coming down in price I might get a Sony Reader (or Kindle, if they are ever sold over here), but at the moment they're too expensive.
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    My choise was easy, Kindle isn't even available in Europe and also Sony isn't widely available.
    Besides I read from couple forums that Sony's support (firmware updates with fixes) is non-existent.
    Again CyBook has too little direct external controls... with update delay of screen you don't want to surf up and down in menus one option at time.
    Also [url=http://openinkpot.org/]OpenInkpot[/url] firmware will probably never be available for big brand readers.
    (even if BeBook ends coming up with new firmwares there's that way)
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I was rather hoping the newest model Sony Reader would have been a step up, but that resistive touch screen is unbearable! At the local Borders, there's both the touch screen model and the non-touch variant that preceded it. If one didn't know better, it would be easy to mistake the touch model as the inferior, older (crappier) one. The screen is so soft and fuzzy. It's nearly impossible to read.
  • What's the point? Just read an actual book.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    For me, space! I have sooo many books when I packed about 1/3 of them away before xmas, they took up 2 big plastic storage crates! ;)
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    The PSP is a surprisingly capable ebook reader with its web browser if you move your ebooks to a plain text format and sprinkle a few HTML # tags through them for chapters, etc.
  • I'm going to do a shameless plug for "The Seventh Wielder", it's a little different, and follows an engineer that gets thrown into a fantastical setting. It throws out almost all the rules of common fantasy/magic and starts fresh.

[url]http://www.lulu.com/content/1008356[/url]

(I say shameless plug because my friend wrote it. I read it, and thought it was great. I did the cover art for it too... :) )
    [URL="http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/technology/newsid_7879000/7879927.stm"]Still[/URL] no word on if they're ever going to realise there're people outside of the US who would buy it.
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    I need one of those for my conservation and archaeometry literature..
  • sataicallistasataicallista High Priestess of Squeee!
    [QUOTE=ShadowDancer;179451]For me, space! I have sooo many books when I packed about 1/3 of them away before xmas, they took up 2 big plastic storage crates! ;)[/QUOTE]

I've got more than that. About twice as many actually. :P
    Thats also not counting my textbooks, comics and the books I've got in my flat :)