Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Watchmen (Spoilers)

ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie."London, UK
Just back from seeing Watchmen, so I thought I'd start a thread on it.

Definitely goes on my list of favourite movies, but will go see it again to make sure :)

Of course it wasnt as good as the graphic novel, but these things never are. However I was pleased with the attention to detail they put into it, especially even into the small details. The only thing I didnt like was them putting the blame on Dr Manhatten, although I do think it lent itself better to a film than an 'alien invasion' like in the book

I know Worf thinks Dark Knight was better, but I'd put it on an equal level personally; both are awesome films :D

Comments

• WORFWORF The Burninator
    Watchmen

I caught the first showing today and thought it was rather good.

Not sure it beats The Dark Knight though.

Worf
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    Gonna see it in the South Bank Imax, at london, or whatever, next wednesday.. Going with an open mind atleast. Hopefull, prepared to missing lot of the scenes I was expecting and some changed..

Still, as long as I enjoy it is the important bit. :)
  • Data CrystalData Crystal Pencil Artist
    We went to see it on the opening night with our Uni -"team". I personally liked it. A hell of a lot. Sure, it's been something like 6 years since I read the novel and I don't remember every little detail, but it didn't stop me from enjoying it immensely.

Some of the more violent scenes were absolutely hilarious to boot. :D I don't have access to the POnline forums anymore, but a friend of mine said that someone commented on a Wathmen -thread there that it was a bit strange that there was a couple on one of the back rows who laughed during every violent scene... Might well have been talking about us, since it seemed like me and a friend of mine were the only ones laughing at those scenes. :p I mean, come on, they were pure gold. Especially the Rorschach-moments. :)

It was like the Kill Bill 1 premiere all over again: People don't seem to understand the underlying comedy in excessive violence. :D

Didn't mind one bit paying a full-priced movie ticket for it, even with my minimal budget.

Perfect music usage, great choices all around and since Dr. Manhattan is all-CGI, they could even show him in the buff without any blurring or censorship. 'twas a nice thing to see in an American film.

All in all, highly recommended. I enjoyed it much more than Dark Knight, even though Ledger's scenes were brilliant. :)
  • DarthCaligulaDarthCaligula Elite Ranger
    I just got back from it. I thought it was really cool. Never read the actual thing though.
    [url]http://www.watchmencomicmovie.com/030709-watchmen-movie-opening-titles-video.php[/url]

There's plenty of scenes that give me the goose bumps in the opening titles.

And I'm fan of the original comic.
  • Saw it opening day, borrowed my friend's copy and have begun reading it.

Reviews have been extremely mixed, but I thought it was a great film. And seeing the main female chick naked was always a nice plus. Rorsarch was pretty awesome. Dr. Manhattan is probably my favorite superhero now.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Seafroggys: see what you think of the book, but it wasnt a bad translation onto the screen IMO, but as I say these things are never perfect
  • I thought it was pretty good too, although to be honest I haven't read the graphic novel yet... it's in the list of books I have to read.

Data Crystal - I thought some of the more viloent scenes were pretty funny too. And you're right, for an American movie, it's suprising that they were able to put that much full frontal blueman nudity without bluring it. A friend of mine wrote a funny review about that actually lol

[URL="http://www.eatsleepgeek.com/watchmen-wang-dudeit/"]http://www.eatsleepgeek.com/watchmen-wang-dudeit/[/URL]
    Saw it. Was okay. Lots of scenes I liked, lots of stuff that felt better acted in the comic.. Huge amount of scenes cut it seems, along with plot. Ending was okay without the squid, but the ending ending in the comic still better... Still, it was a nice movie. Way better than League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie... :)
  • Pixel_DonkeyPixel_Donkey Earthforce Officer
    I haven't read the comics before but I really liked the film. Its far better than other comic remakes such as Sin City and the other one he just did :)
    300?

Worf
  • Yeah its funny how 300 was almost universally accepted as a cool movie, yet this movie is getting mixed opinions, yet this film is much better than 300 was (not to say it wasn't a cool movie, just very thin).
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    300 was terrible....yet still good in a kind of awesome way heh

I just loved it when halfway thru the lead (I forget his name and cant be arsed googling) slipped into a scottish accent :D

[Sean Connery voice]Thish ish Shparta!!!![/Sean Connery voice]
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    Ok, I just saw the movie and I must say that I can understand the mixed reviews. I came to this film without any prior knowledge of the characters or their emotional baggage.

My first impressions were mixed as well. What an odd bunch of superheroes. With the exception of Dr. Manhattan, the rest seem to belong to a traveling wrestling circus. Ok, the Nite Owl could stand in as a poor man's Batman. The babe in her yellow latex outfit was nice to look at, but what sets her apart from any other hottie in a similar outfit? ;) And don't get me started with Rorschach with his shifting ink pattern sock over his head, or the Comedian? What's his special ability? Foul language and dirty jokes?

The overall mood of the movie was a bit too dark and depressing. It kind of went down the same route as Superman Returns and that one didn't fare too well either.

My favourite scene though was with Rorschach in the prison cafeteria when he said: [I]"What you don't seem to understand is that I'm not locked in here with you. You are locked in here with me!"[/I] Priceless. :D

In essence I'm afraid to say a lot of potential was squandered away. Adding the Egyptian flavour to the mix didn't bring anything at all, other than production costs of course.

Anyway, the movie had its moments. Still I prefer Dark Knight to this one too, but not by much, mainly because the Batman universe is more familiar to me and the characters of that universe are more likeable. Dark City is still much better than Watchmen as far as dark movies go (even though Dark City isn't about superheroes).

7.0/10 even though Roger gave it 2 thumbs up. (The public gave it 3/4 stars, which I believe is more accurate.) ;)
    It's not really a movie about superheroes tho, it's more a look at the people beneath the masks. I don't think it's fair to compare it to Dark Knight, Batman was about a man on a mission to bring justice to the world, Watchmen was about people who tried to make a difference in a world that doesn't want to be saved and how they are dealing with it.

My 2 cents ;)
    I was actually more comparing it to Superman Returns... I know it's fashionable to create gritty, dark and depressing movies right now, but that emotional element needs to be used like any other ingredient, and should not become the sole basis of a film.

As far as I'm concerned it's a comic book adaptation with superheroes in it who are trying to save the world. Of course this isn't taking place in the Batman universe but comparing movies which exist in the same genre isn't so far fetched.

The film was also too long for what it tried to tell us...
  • [QUOTE=ShadowDancer;182550]It's not really a movie about superheroes tho, it's more a look at the people beneath the masks. I don't think it's fair to compare it to Dark Knight, Batman was about a man on a mission to bring justice to the world, Watchmen was about people who tried to make a difference in a world that doesn't want to be saved and how they are dealing with it.

My 2 cents ;)[/QUOTE]

This is is right here.

Remember Stingray, this graphic novel came out over 20 years ago, and 've been reading it, and its even more gritty. So saying its hip to come out with dark movies now, well, no, not really. Unless they seriously fucked the script up, this movie would be dark, no matter when it came out.
    What I meant to say is that a genre that used to be light-hearted entertainment has turned into something that may in some cases take itself too seriously. I'm glad that comic books are getting the treatment they deserve as far as storytelling goes, but [I]Watchmen[/I] came in a bit over the top. There is only so much you can take from people running around in superhero costumes. Look at the way Nixon was portrayed, he looked like a living muppet. :D

Oddly enough, Alan Moore is said to have chosen not to be associated with the film adaptations of his work (including [I]V for Vendetta[/I] and [I]300[/I]). I believe that says a lot more about the quality of the movies (or the man himself) than anything I can come up with even though I've read that [I]Watchmen[/I] closely follows the source material of the original graphic novels.
  • DarthCaligulaDarthCaligula Elite Ranger
    I thought Frank Miller did 300.
    And Frank Miller was happy to be associated with 300 and Sin City.

The DVD/Bluray edition of Watchmen is supposed to be over 3 hours long. Looking forward to seeing it.

Worf
    That's why Alan Moore didn't want to be associated with 300, because he didn't have anything to do with it. :D I stand by what I said. ;)
    Even tho it was wrong?

:p
    How can you be sure Frank Miller didn't get the idea of 300 from Alan Moore? :D
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Because he apparently got it from the 1962 movie. :p

In other news, reading wikipedia pages about random years is quite interesting.