Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Star Trek

WORFWORF The Burninator
Nope, not seen it yet. Looking forward to it though and it's good to be hearing people have enjoyed it so far.

Worf

Comments

• SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    a little over 30 hours till I get to see it. I have had my tickets for about 2 weeks.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    The nearest theatre playing it is 50 miles away..
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    The nearest theatre playing it is about 7000km away.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    27is hours!
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    7 hours and 45 minutes :)

Worf
  • I hope the movie includes more music from Two Steps From Hell...

You can always hope, right...
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    The movie theater is only a 10 minute walk away from work. But at current ticket prices, I'll wait for the DVD release.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    [QUOTE=Biggles;181371]The nearest theatre playing it is about 7000km away.[/QUOTE]
    Seriously? They're not showing it in japan? Or are you off somewhere remote again?
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    Bah. Closest theater to me is 34 768 km away. So you think you have it hard? I got to wait for a goddamn dvd torrent.. Unless I get my teleporter to work... Tho, last two crewmembers it fused together with some kind of bipedal bear from mexico (it had name tag, Pedro) and I had to kill the result with fire.. Havent used it since.
    [QUOTE=ShadowDancer;181380]Seriously? They're not showing it in japan? Or are you off somewhere remote again?[/QUOTE]

What you guys don't seem to know ist that Biggles is on THE island... and lost just like all the other cast members. :D
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE=ShadowDancer;181380]Seriously? They're not showing it in japan? Or are you off somewhere remote again?[/QUOTE]

It doesn't come out here until the 29th.
    Am I the first one here to have seen it?

[SP]So it's part reboot, part sequel to Nemesis. I'm kind of curious to see how the destruction of Vulcan is going to affect the Federation, since it was one of the core planets. I doubt we'll ever see the long term effects, TNG era Star Trek with these new changes, although it could be argued that Spock will now remember the cause of Nero's rampage and be able to act sooner to prevent it. I wouldn't have minded seeing the TNG characters dealing with the situation during the mind meld, although that might have slowed down the pacing a little.

A supernova that threatens the entire galaxy seems a bit unlikely and I thought that from the comics as well.

The cast members filled the roles quite nicely, especially Kirk, Spock and McCoy.

The Kobayashi Maru was an amusing touch and I'm glad they kept the design of the Klingon ships, even if they called them warbirds.

Not sure about the Uhura/Spock romance subplot.[/SP]

So yes, I enjoyed the film, definitely one of the good ones but it doesn't beat Wrath of Khan in my mind.

Worf
    [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twe0fwtfVUc"]Star Trek: The Wrath of Chaka Khan[/URL] :D
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Bah I can't read your post Worf on my phone as I can't highlight the text. Anyway, I think I agree with you that Wrath of Kahn was better, but only slightly. I'll post more (ie in spoilers) when I get home, as there are definitely a few points that I didn't like too much
    So after reading Worf's comments:

Yes, I agree completely :p

The only things I'll add are that I thought they maybe took the humour a little too far, there were some good moments but there were also moments where it felt more like a comedy. The other point is that [sp]I too thought the "science" didnt really add up here. A star that threatened the galaxy!?! A black hole that then became a wormhole? And then didnt immediately swallow the ships and yet could swallow up Vulcan in minutes?! Sorry, I didnt like that.

The only other thing I'll say is that while I'm glad that there was a plot, I didnt like the fact that they'd thrown aside the established canon completely. I would have been more happy with keeping the existing timeline and fleshing the early years out instead[/sp]

Overall tho, 7.5/10, so a definite thumbs up. And I'm looking forward to seeing it in IMAX :D
  • LogicSequenceLogicSequence Elite Ranger
    I thoroughly enjoyed it!

[SP]I thought the actors were quite perfect for the roles, especially zachary quinto. Chris Pine portrayed a modern kirk to a "T", if you'll parden the pun. The CGI was spot on, a little dark maybe, but otherwise quite good. The nods and inside references were GREAT, i'm sure i even missed some of them. I REALLY feel for the vulcans man, that's a real game changer, i wasn't expecting that, or at least that it wasn't going to be fixed by another mini time-jump in the end.

Leonard Nimoy.... God what can i say? i LOVED, LOVED seeing him again as spock, i wish he could have had a bigger role (although i know he need to back away for the new guys). But still, he was amazing as usual. And i loved his narration at the end, that made it for me. Too many thoughts now, but i really enjoyed it, and as reboots go, this is the best that could have been done with star trek. I really hope it does well, and i look forward to more.[/SP]
  • DaxDax Redshirt
    We had a GREAT TIME! (And I agree with Worf's comments)

We, of course, dressed up and the Vancouver Sun took notice (and by notice I mean [URL="http://twitpic.com/4r5zg"]accosted us[/URL] the minute we were in view for pics)!

[URL="http://tinyurl.com/trekgallery-apstory"]Story[/URL] (too bad they misspelled Worf)

[URL="http://tinyurl.com/trekgallery-ap"]Pictures [/URL]

Is this the first pic anyone has seen of Peter?

Also: [URL="http://twitpic.com/4r1wf"]Peter helping me with makeup[/URL] and [URL="http://twitpic.com/4r7kf"]us at the theatre[/URL]
    Great pictures and nice going getting interviewed ;)

Worf
    I enjoyed it. I think I will go see it tomorrow.
  • JohnnyOnTheSpotJohnnyOnTheSpot Banned by request
    talk about masturbatory material!
  • In before crox...

....it was good :)
  • PSI-KILLERPSI-KILLER Needs help
    Is Capt Picard in it?
    Now that I have slept...

I would go so far as to say I was captivated by it.

Spoiler: I felt like the casting was great, with one small exception. Chekov. I don't know, I think he was trying way too hard on the accent. I liked pretty much all of the humor except for his. Really that was about the only scene I felt was a little over the top.

Chris Pine was channeling Bill Shatner by the end. Not in mannerisms but in Kirk's confidence. That last scene where the turbolift door opened and he came out in the classic TOS yellow smock I had to do a double take to make sure it wasn't the Shat.

Zach Quinto is phenominal as Spok. He really is a fantastic actor. Its clear who is carrying Heroes. I just can't express how good a job I felt he did.

Karl Urban was great, maybe a little underused but just great.

To me, those 3 had to be on top of their game. They were what made the movie to me. I don't think I would have been happy with it, had they not created the chemistry that they did. It was essential that they make it work.

I enjoyed the nods to the original, I think they did a great job paving the way for new Trek while making it clear that they had respect for what came before. The pacing was quick enough to make you feel the urgency of saving the planet but not so much as to leave you in its wake. I like the changes made to Trek tech. Warp drive really felt faster than light. The (lets face it slow) phasers replaced by something that resembles an actual weapon.

I don't mind the alternate timeline. I actually hope to see more in it. I want to see the reprocussions of no Vulcan. Really though I think the best way to describe was, I was captivated till the end. Like a kid at christmas. They really made me feel for the characters in a very short time.

well done
    [QUOTE=PSI-KILLER;181412]Is Capt Picard in it?[/QUOTE]
    lol is that a spoiler?
    Sisko is in it...and in the trailer we see this hidious monster thing, guess which captain that was revealed to be...

Worf
    Steven Siegal!?
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    I loved it, my fiance loved it, my Bro loved it, and my Dad loved it.

I would put it on par with II and VI (my personal favorite), but part of the charm of those two is from the emotional connections to, as the credits put it, prime universe.

Spoiler: While there were faults in the science as mentioned I really liked how the technobabble was not injected. Something like red matter would be dubbed red matter.

The expository on the timeline changing was nice, short and effective, they didn't beat it in with a bat. Kirk asking spock prime if he knew his father was a nice story integration as well.

I felt the music was a bit heavy handed in places or didn't quite fit. I'm not sure how I feel about the classic Hitch hikeresk into.

But these are my only gripes, and they are kinda nitpicky.

I thought casting was amazing. I loved how the actors brought in mannerisms from the old cast but it was their own interpretation. As far as Checkov it would make sense that being a young 17 year old he would have a very thick accent and will slowly lose it.

Something I would of liked to of seen would be the future Vulcan ship styled more to Enterprise-E era starship design, again nitpicking.

I loved it. I walked out grinning and a bite mark on my shoulder where my fiance bit me from excitement. As the credits were rolling (the tribute to Gene and Majel was expected but still awesome) my internal monologue said, "Ok this is a great pilot. Series, ready set go!"

My other hope from this movie is that the sci-fi genera would start to make a come back as well.
    For those of you wondering about Chekov's accent, the actor Anton Yelchin actually [I]is[/I] Russian. He's just exaggerating the accent for effect. :D

He's also in the upcoming Terminator movie. Great times ahead.
  • MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
    Nice movie.
    One thing that I didnt find "logical":
    Spoiler: The autopilot is not functioning because of damage, but to be able to set collission course against the ship, there surely must be a autopilot?. After all the computer responds with "collision course set"... .
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    Spoiler: I think, that that was the "GPS". The Autopilot that was destroyed probably would have been a real AI that could do more than fly from point A to point B. (for example, protect the shuttles/escape pods, like George Kirk did)