Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Its not a B5 game, but its close

This requires a touch of explaining. This game is called Jumpgate: Evolution. It is a sequel to a game called Jumpgate which I played the crap out of. It is a MMO that is spaced based (think eve, earth and beyond) but it is piloted through a joystick (think xwing, wing commander, privateer, elite). The sequel is coming up on a beta soon(TM), and you can, and should, sign up for it.

There will be more to it than joystick flight, they are supposed to make it easier for folks who have never flown with a joystick before, or even who don't own one and want to fly with a mouse.

The combat in the original game was TOP NOTCH, it was the single best combat experience I have ever played in an MMO. No point and click it was more like first person shooter style in terms of, it was more based on player skills. What that means is, you don't have to play this game for 4 years to play at the same level as the people who have been playing for 4 years.

The economics in the original were pretty good, and have improved. On top of that, they have added more to make it more interesting of a game for people who don't just like to blow shit up. Meaning, theres more to do for people who aren't name Spirit. So check it out. [url=http://www.jumpgateevolution.com/]Jumpgate Evolution[/url]

Comments

• croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    I've already signed up for the beta when it was first announced. I never really played the original even though I am sure I would enjoy it. Right now I'm dinking around in the Pirates of the burning sea beta which is quite enjoyable really. It has the instanced and quest structure of World of Warcraft but a more player run and full economy.

Another space mmo to keep an eye out for is [URL="http://www.infinity-universe.com/Infinity/index.php"]Infinity: The Quest for Earth. [/URL]
    There is a simple yet fun combat prototype out for this to help tide us over as well.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Yeah Infinity does look good, I'm looking forward to it being released. Hadnt heard of the new Jumpgate before, tho I've seen the original in passing but never played. Will definitely have to check it out :)

IMO there is a real lack of decent MMO's out there. Unless you're really into WoW or other fantasy settings there arent many decent others. EVE is good, but I've just never gotten into it properly. The only one I play with any regularity is still City of Heroes, just because it doesnt take itself too seriously
  • MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
    Played Jumpgate a little, but never really liked it..maybe the new one is better.....
  • I'm looking foreword to Infinity. looks good to me.
    [URL="http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8426566575107987989&q=infinity+quest+for+earth&total=60&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=6"]Here[/URL] is an engine prototype for Infinity from 2005
  • Not trying to show ya up croxis but a few more.

[url]http://www.infinity-universe.com/Infinity/infinity_videos_1.php[/url]

There are some clips in the alpha testing with battles between the followers of the game. To say it isn't all in house testing.

There are clips with those battles, Some ware.
    The combat one shows off the combat prototype, but doesn't have the seamless space/planetary flight =P
    registered for getting info about Jumpgate 2!

Guess I should get a joystick to be prepared :)
    Any news on Jumpgage? Going slow regarding Infinity...
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    Well, they have been decidedly hush hush lately. Supposedly, the release date is still June, which would indicate they are already in beta (and it is EXTREMELY quiet, unlikely) or June is an unrealistic release date as the beta has not yet started :(

I wish I could give you more info, but really, thats all I have. I know some of my AQM guys are goofing around in classic right now, warming up if you will. I know we have also had a couple people seek us out for recruitment come launch.

I will try to find out what I can.
    Betas tend to be very quiet. Developers get more and more quiet as the shelf date gets closer
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    yes but I am usually invited to most betas as I am known for quality reports. On top of that, I have visited Netdevil twice.
    I never get into betas to demonstrate I can do quality reports :(
    [url]http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/47109/Jumpgate-Evolution-Iteration-on-Ship-Design[/url]
  • I want to start a game company, get development rights from LucasArts and Universal and license the Infinity engine as a basis for a new XWing/TiE Fighter and Galactica game.

A man can dream. A man can dream.
  • JohnnyOnTheSpotJohnnyOnTheSpot Banned by request
    That sounds like a group effort RAA05, By the time you had anything into preproduction, the Galactica game will already be out.

Just like the movie The Mechanic will probably sucks balls yet still reach hollywood standards.

Wish I could write faster they may have accepted my book instead.
  • I'm all for group efforts. I just need an 'in' for the industry so I can convince the boneheads at LA and Universal that these kinds of games can still sell.

....maybe they can't. I don't know.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    If the new Star Trek film brings a renewed interest in space battle movies and such, we may see publishers willing to take advantage of that. I wouldn't get your hopes up though.

Worf
  • I just want to see/make a game that doesn't suck or is overly simplistic. I want a game that takes branching campaigns, destructible subsystems and storytelling to a new level. I want a game that brings photorealistic graphics to the void.

We have the technology. We need developers who have the will and drive to succeed at it.

I can't tell you how much I would love to be involved with the process.
    I don't doubt there are willing developers out there.

It's just the people that pay them that need to be convinced.

Worf
  • That's the real trick, isn't it? Finding someone with money who believes in it.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I get to deal with that all the time. It's not fun.
  • JohnnyOnTheSpotJohnnyOnTheSpot Banned by request
    What are you talking about Biggles?
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    The only things i ever get to beta these days are Financial/tax software! sheesh
    Offtopic but:
    I think the most promising scifi game in developement (which aint an mmo) atm is Mass Effect 2:

[url]http://ve3d.ign.com/videos/47646/PC/Mass-Effect-2/Trailer/Pre-E3-Teaser-Trailer[/url]
    Now that is a game I'm eagerly looking forward to.

Worf
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Seconded. The first game was awesome, so I'm hoping the second game will live up to it.

And I'm hoping Jumpgate does come out next month, I'm looking forward to having a new game to play
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    The only thing I hope they change from Mass Effect 1 is the level of variety in the side mission environments. :)
    hmm yeah that's a good point, they did get a bit repetitive after a while. I was also a bit disappointed that you could only visit the moon in the Sol system, I was hoping for Earth or Mars ;)
  • TyvarTyvar Next best thing to a St. Bernard
    I found the whole Cerberus meta plot to be fairly entertaining, and while you did run around and kill everything there was some variation thrown in at times that made things enjoyable.

All in all its probably the best game Ive liked since Matrix Games War in the Pacific came out, or MechWarrior 4