Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Does love exist?

JohnnyOnTheSpotJohnnyOnTheSpot Banned by request
I say no, I think the world is divided between whose got money and who doesn't. And who can scream the loudest.

Comments

• TridentTrident Ranger
    Love used to exist... it was what made me complete... now... I can't really tell my ass from a hole in the ground these days. The world has grown so dependant on that idea. You have money or not. Care is a part of love, and care does not exist otherwise why does everything break in a month and it takes hours to even get an automated message or someone who can't even speak english... I hope that love does exist... otherwise... what else is there to live for?
  • MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
    As long as there is wind, there is always something to live for. But yeah, I think it exists, just really good at playing Hide & Seek.

[url]http://www.tamyk.net/snapshotFiles/2009-05-08_Raedergaarden.JPG[/url]

[url]http://www.tamyk.net/snapshotFiles/2009-04-29_Brekstad.jpg[/url]
  • Nah, it doesn't exist anymore. I haven't felt anything similar since my first love, which was more than 10 years ago.

Kinda sad actually, but there are things I enjoy.
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    No.
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Yes, I love my family, I love my friends, and I still have the ability to feel a passionate love for the various women in my life.

However, I think that the world of today have gotten love confused with other, physical urges, and is why so many relationships are faltering "I don't love him/her anymore" most often means "I have physical urges towards other people".
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    And speaking of feelings, as always for me, music brings them out, usually, theyre buried quite deep.
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    Yes...
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    Of course love exist. But it isn't what the TV tells you.

Love isn't "I wanna bang that into next week", love is "I would do anything for you".

It's a decision more than an emotion. You make a concious decision to love someone, and serve them. True love is when that person makes the concious decision to love you in return. You serving them, they serving you. Then you really have something special.
  • JohnnyOnTheSpotJohnnyOnTheSpot Banned by request
    Well try this you go to your ex's house just to talk mind you not "Bang her in the next world." and the mother says she will call the cops on you if you ever come back.

Meanwhile shes like stalking you on myspace, and Meetup.com...whose more psychotic?
    Then it's not love, simply longing for approval/acceptance.

That doesn't sound like it was a very healthly relationship to start with. At this point it is likely irrecoverably damaged and talking with her would only further the hurt, not sooth it.

Here's my advice...stop looking for love or more accurately, stop looking for recognition/acceptence from the opposite sex.

Learn how to be comfortable with yourself, to enjoy yourself. Once you have that, then you'll have a much easier time regonizing love when it comes your way.

I went though a period in college where I couldn't seem to find anyone, no dates nothing, and trying to "pursue" a girl only resulted in her moving farther away. I finally got to the point where I told myself:
    [i]Stop worrying about it.
    Just enjoy yourself, enjoy being single.
    Do not approach each new female you meet as a potential date.
    Just be and enjoy yourself.[/i]

And it was a very sort time later I met the love of my life, my wife Christina, whom I am in just as in love with after 9 years of marriage as I was in the period shortly after we first met.

Jake
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Yes
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    What Freejack said.

Worf
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I agree with Freejack completely. His advice is very sound. Painful to follow at times, but sound.
    I guess it is more accurate to say true love does not exist, but love does...
  • Love exists. But it is far more complicated and bittersweet than I ever believed it could be when I was younger.
  • EclecticonautEclecticonaut Elite Ranger
    [QUOTE=A2597;181595]Love isn't "I wanna bang that into next week", love is "I would do anything for you".[/QUOTE]
    So, love does exist, but is it worth looking for? Definitely not worth dying for, I'd imagine.
  • DarthCaligulaDarthCaligula Elite Ranger
    I really don't agree with what Freejack said. I gave up quite a while ago, and I'm just as unattractive as ever. I just really don't care any more. I've got no hope of finding someone and don't even bother trying to get any women interested in me since I know it's a lost cause anyway, and despite how I don't even bother trying any more, I am not being approached by women. But like I said, I just don't care anymore.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Yes it does
    [QUOTE=DarthCaligula;181634]I really don't agree with what Freejack said. I gave up quite a while ago, and I'm just as unattractive as ever. I just really don't care any more. I've got no hope of finding someone and don't even bother trying to get any women interested in me since I know it's a lost cause anyway, and despite how I don't even bother trying any more, I am not being approached by women. But like I said, I just don't care anymore.[/QUOTE]

Go back and read what I wrote, I did not say you shouldn't care, but to stop worrying about it, and that is different.

Be comfortable with yourself, that's the most important part.

Jake
    I think what FreeJack is trying to say is try to have some empathy without taking sympathy for yourself away. Balance is something to achieve for I guess, Although I've always wanted to be completely empathetic with everything around me, but THAT CAUSES INSANITY. LOL

You'll find if you care too much about what goes on around you the less you'll have time for yourself. Regardless if your actually ugly or not, do something about it, shower, shave, use your knowledge to impress those around you. Spiritone can talk about Magnetic Resonance Imaging machines, there must be something you can talk about with someone of the opposite sex. Always remember though the opposite sex is far far more complex of a character!
    That is the gist...you need to understand yourself before you can expect members of the opposite sex to understand you.

Jake
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I used to think it existed, but now I think the closest I'm going to get to it will be reading about it.

I find myself wishing for the company of that 'someone' but when anything comes along I find myself wishing I was on my own again. Not the best way to look for relatioships
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    Kind of like that too. Sometimes I think it would be nice to have someone around but they're interests would have to compliment my own pretty well otherwise I'd just start ignoring them and carrying on with my own thing.

Worf
  • KeyanKeyan Ranger
    Yes.

The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater.
    — J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
    Hope you're right Kevan.

And why haven't the girls posted?
  • In BetweenIn Between The Ultimate Lurker
    What does love got to do with it

Yes

Here is an Esquire article about a guy who was attached to a brain scanner to see weather he preferred Angelina Jolie over his wife. Well written and funny.;)

[url]http://www.esquire.com/features/mri-of-love-0609[/url]

Enjoy !!!!

I am with JOTS and Kevan its all Y all the time :laugh: (OK with a bit of X).:D
    We need to add some XX chromosome comments.
  • Data CrystalData Crystal Pencil Artist
    My answer would have to be a "yes". It's just hard to find nowadays when people don't seem to want to do anything for it and we're taught to run after the absolutely perfect match that seldom exists. Also, cheating and abusing everyone you meet is a-ok as long as it's in your own interests. If there's something even remotely displeasing, it's time to swap your partner for your neighbour's wife. :D

We're being brought up to expect the magical Disney-joyride where everything's perfect. And we can even screw Disney, it seems to be just as confusing to some when they're unable to recognise actual reality from the perfect, 'simulation' world that the media tries to push on us with commercials, ads, appearance ideals and television. Let's face it, we're not perfect, and if you want the constant high, you need drugs, not a social human relationship. :)

Some very good, accurate comments higher up in the thread. :) Have to agree with at least Freejack and A2597.

My addition to the conversation would be to keep an open mind. It's hard to believe and very easy to put down as absurd, but if you give people the chance, it sometimes happens that you find yourself feeling for someone that you never would've imagined a possible match for yourself. If you have the chance, go down that road, at least once. It's an eye-opener. Doesn't necessarily make your life easier, but definitely more interesting.

And with the world... yeah, it's gotten cynical. In the grand scheme of things, there is very little love around. But then there are those little people doing little things that count. :)
    Related to DC's comments, another part for the issue, for the entire existence of humanity, marriage (or simple coupling prior to the formation of that institution) was far more practical than emotional. Pairing up with a member of the opposite sex simply allowed procreation and more importantly, division of labor.

In the last 100 years technology and societal structures have allowed an individual to survive without the division of labor marriage offers. This means now the primary reason for marriage has now shifted to love and procreation. And in that we've become far more picky about who our partners are since we want actual love and not just survival.

Jake
  • PSI-KILLERPSI-KILLER Needs help
    its all mind over matter, if you believe it exists then it will be in your life, if you think it does not, then there will be very little if any in your life. On the other hand Gingas Kahn had abouth 5000 children, allota of love juice but very little love I am sure.
    [QUOTE=Freejack;181741]Related to DC's comments, another part for the issue, for the entire existence of humanity, marriage (or simple coupling prior to the formation of that institution) was far more practical than emotional. Pairing up with a member of the opposite sex simply allowed procreation and more importantly, division of labor.

In the last 100 years technology and societal structures have allowed an individual to survive without the division of labor marriage offers. This means now the primary reason for marriage has now shifted to love and procreation. And in that we've become far more picky about who our partners are since we want actual love and not just survival.

Jake[/QUOTE]
    In our society and most western nations yes, but in other continents this does not hold true.

@Psi-Killer 5,000 Children I thought it was 250? But in my case that would make me a billionaire with the dependents clause for disability. lol