Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Enough with the books already!

croxiscroxis I am the walrus
[URL]http://www.cafepress.com/b5books[/URL]

Comments

• WORFWORF The Burninator
    Okay that is getting a little excessive.

Worf
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    $30 for a collection of usenet posts?
    This is giving me ideas for the quotes on ZathrasBot ;)

Worf
  • DarthCaligulaDarthCaligula Elite Ranger
    Heh. I noticed that too. Yeah, why buy them when I can go to jmsnews.com? They actually do sound kind of interesting, but 40 bucks for each one? I'll pass.
    AND WHEN THE HELL ARE THOSE CRUSADE SCRIPT BOOKS COMING OUT?!!!!!!!!
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    Make it $10 and I'll bite.
  • While we know they're not going to be something everybody will want, this series is more than just JMS's archived posts. The project took 2 1/2 years and a team of four to complete. We went searching for, and found, a lot of posts and chat transcripts that had never been archived then we set out to recreate the conversation that JMS had with the fans which you can't really get the feel for with just his answers. The posts have been categorized so that all of his posts on any particular subject are gathered together.

The Crusade books will come out but probably not soon. All of the B5-related material has to come out first.

Jan
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    No matter the content or how much it interests me, I cannot manage to support a [B]series[/B] of $30-$40 books. This is especially frustrating when I have helped projects of similar scale achieve high levels of distribution through other mainstream self-publishers, i.e. Lulu, iUniverse, etc. Cafepress has continued to be [B]the most expensive[/B] out of every option on the market, both for authors and consumers.

There's no reason that any of these should be selling for more than $25 each (at the very most!), and no rationale whatsoever for making them limited runs when digital publishing allows cost effective on-demand publishing at little additional cost over a low-moderate volume print run anyway.

It also seems odd that this forum seems to be the only dissenting voice on the matter. Are we simply not "getting it" the way everyone else is? I'll sit this one out, just like the rest.
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    The front page of the book says it all I think: "?"
  • [QUOTE=Sanfam;181808]It also seems odd that this forum seems to be the only dissenting voice on the matter. Are we simply not "getting it" the way everyone else is? I'll sit this one out, just like the rest.[/QUOTE]

Not at all. It was always known that the script books would only appeal to a limited market. While they've made record sales in the POD industry, any mainsream publisher wouldn't even notice them.

There's been plenty of discussion, pro and con on lots of forums. The ones who bought the 14-volume series did so knowing that there was a 30-day no questions asked guarantee. Some only bought the books with the episodes they were particularly interested in. Some of those went ahead and bought the rest of the series. A very few returned the one they bought. But there were a number of books in that series that had *no* returns at all that didn't pertain to printing errors.

Whether you agree with the decission or not, it was announced that the 14-volume series would be a limited run from the very beginning and the reason was to make it a collectable, not (to my knowledge) due to cost concerns. Someday the scripts themselves may be issued in another format but *those* books with the special introductions by JMS and the photos, memos and other goodies will never be republished.

Jan-Scripts Team
    I will admit that part of my disdain for the strategy is jealousy for those who did get the sets. :P The content really is quite remarkable.
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Well, it is good that you keep the limited runs limited and dont do like Games Workshop and release so called "limited" releases after a few years.
  • Pixel_DonkeyPixel_Donkey Earthforce Officer
    I'm a little slow here, there is 5 parts but you talk about 14 volumes?

I downloaded the sample and actually read it all (I hardly read books). It made me think about certain things.

I see its going to seem muddled a little how he talks about what might happen. I hope there are no conflicts which cause confusion.

As much as I love collecting B5 stuff the price is just too much. As I work in marketing and design I like to look at the covers etc of books and Part 1 looks like its had no design what soever. I guess its limited because theres only a limited number of people willing to purchase something and putting a 'limited' phase anywhere near will make people think its a collectors item. I am worried its going to look like its been designed in Word and then printed on someones house printer and then bound together?
    There was a book series released before this, the Babylon 5 Scripts Series, which featured scripts and commentary for the entire run of B5 spread across 14 (well, 15) volumes. This is part of a second wave of book releases featuring unique, supplementary content.
  • Pixel_DonkeyPixel_Donkey Earthforce Officer
    Ah ok. I just got another email telling me book 5 is out at a discounted price of $30, still too much.
  • Now this looks interesting...
    [url]http://www.cafepress.com/b5books[/url]
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    It will look more interesting in my mailbox :)
    Kind of tempted by that one too.

Worf
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Same.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Yeah I'm very tempted by that also
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    That one could actually be worth the price.
    I went ahead and ordered one.
    Indeed, it is tempting! Crusade had a lot of backstory that we never properly got to. Very unfortunate.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I cant afford it at the moment, but I think I'll add it to the wishlist
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Bought it.
    My copy arrived today.
  • DarthCaligulaDarthCaligula Elite Ranger
    Mine arrived two days ago. I'm about a quarter of the way through it. I'm liking it so far.
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    meh... stupid customs... i'll probably have to wait another weak until they realize it's a book (book's are exempt from import taxes over here)