Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Caprica

Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
Here's my commentary, updated every 15 mins..

So.. First 15 mins.

Quite boring. Getting to know the characters etc. But nothing quite touches me. Okay. Tits. Rave party.. Human sacrifices. "shocking".. or it's supposed to be. Ooh. The sexy old milf from Rome.

Adama's granny? yowza.. Perhaps.

Lets see if it gets better in the next 15 mins.

Oh yea. There might be spoilers.

Comments

• WORFWORF The Burninator
    I'll wait until you've seen it all to post my thoughts :)

Worf
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    Blood. Copied human personality. "Miracles".. meh. Ugly girls. Well.. not ugly. Just kind of meh.

Getting kind of tired at the gore. That girl should shower, for real!

Crying.. What's this? Teenage sob story? Lesbian lovers?

Atleast she got cleaned up.

God I hope this wont go down the religion preaching way...

Adama seems cool. Pretty sure the milf wasnt adama.. But better on the long run.

Old fashion cyborgs on the background! Cylon.

Cowboy cylons!. Pretty bad shot tho. Hell, it looks like its suffering from Strom Trooper syndrome.

But still.. Lack of tits now..
    Well. Daddy went the VR way. I am guessing that the human sacrifice was just a virtual one.

Waste of technology. Just imagine the PVP possibilities.

William! :)

And she definitely wasnt one of adamas..

hmm.. well, last 10 minutes it's been going forward. Hasnt touched me yet. But that Fly 2 guy has more screen time.
    Daddy copying avatar. Now it's starting to get interesting.

And the milf is a teacher/nun.. Which is cool.. mm...

But now I dont care about the mole girl.. I wanna see what the Graystone dad does!

Okay. Now I see the point more. Adama and Graystone. Their scenes together are the best of the show so far.

There's the two moral points of view from them, both with similar desire.

30 mins left.. Hoping it wont force the resolution into the next episode..
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    Just finished watching the Caprica pilot.

I agree with the first 15 minutes being so-so, but all that changed with the explosion. I was afraid the show was going to be about the kids. I hope RDM will use a few "time jumps" to move the story along, because I'm not sure I want to see the teenage years of the Galactica cast. :D

Btw, I would like to take the opportunity to thank Al Gore for inventing the internet (well, he didn't, he merely exaggerated). I would not have been able to enjoy this pilot without it. :D

Ok, that's all from me for now, 5 hours of sleep is enough before I need to get to work.
    Cigarette smoking man..

He's still alive!

Well. Not anymore.

I really hate those kids. God god god god.

Thank god they're dead.

I dunno.. Science vs religion again. Meh.. I skipped most of the religion bits from the original galactica as well..
    I dont think that robot body is going to make her teenage years any easier.

Ok.

My final thoughts. CGI cylons were nice.

And definitely watching it more.. but I thought there was over 40 minutes of kind of pointless stuff. Could've been cut to be about 1 hour episode instead, and still serve its purpose.
    I think the terrorist group that girl belongs to will use her to cause the Cylon rebellion. Either that or she'll do it herself later on.

It explains how the Cylons came to believe in a single god.

I looked into the BSG timeline. There are only 6 years between Caprica and when the Cylon war begins. I hope we'll be seeing a few jumps forward so we can see how that comes about, I doubt the show will last 6 seasons when it's parent show couldn't.

Either that or they tie things up with the first/second season and then come up with a sequel series that shows mankind's struggle against the Cylons. I think that's what people want to see, more action and one of the reasons BSG fails in places when they forget that's how the show started.

Assuming of course it doesn't get cancelled.

Worf
  • Ok, just watched it. Exceeded my expectations by a lot. I enjoyed it. I think it has real promise, and I'm excited to see where it goes. I'm also gonna buy it and help give it a good welcome.
    Not sure about the casting of Zoe... How can such frailly built parents create such pudgy daughter? :D The DNA doesn't add up. Also, I don't picture her as a brainiac capable of creating what she did. I guess her personality won over the casting director.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE=Stingray;180883]Not sure about the casting of Zoe... How can such frailly built parents create such pudgy daughter? :D The DNA doesn't add up.[/QUOTE]

Recessive phenotypes?
    Or she could have been adopted. The fact remains, the actors are not related. :D
  • Where and when did you see the pilot? TV? DVD?
    Zog! :D (Translation: it's a direct-to-DVD release coming out next week, draw your own conclusions.)
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    I was kind of hoping that it would be coming out in Blu-Ray... but it's at the top of my Netflix Queue anyway. i suppose i should watch the 3 movies i have at home currently.
  • Stingray: My conclusion? YOU'RE A CYLON!
  • Data CrystalData Crystal Pencil Artist
    Interesting. Different. A bit of OMFG, they can't be this stu... oh. Good. Thanks. But a fun watch nevertheless.

End result: Interesting. Mediocre, but interesting. And I'll take a Galactica-related mediocre any day, although there will be more than a few chances for this one to jump the shark, clearly, if the concept already didn't.
    [QUOTE=RedAssAg05;180938]Stingray: My conclusion? YOU'RE A CYLON![/QUOTE]

So are you, if the writers are to be trusted. :D
  • Oh yeah...how did that slip my mind?!
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Just finished watching it. It shows promise, but BSG's pilot (well, mini-series) was much stronger I think.

I also think (for once!) Worf is right, thats the way the series is most likely gonna go, although I hope the writers might yet have a few tricks and twists up their sleeves, otherwise I think it could get a bit dull. Time jumps would help solve that, and its not like they would be unprecedented as BSG did it.

Stingray: yeah I thought that too. Zoe didnt exactly come across as even pretending to be that intelligent, although she was rather cute IMO
  • I didn't get past the 15 minutes... I'll try again today evening.
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    Soundtrack news, since I know I'm not the only Bear fan here.

It looks like Caprica is getting the same sort of advance release the BSG Season 3 soundtrack got, via a Dark Delicacies signing event. If you're in or around Burbank, you could just [url=http://www.lalalandrecords.com/Events.html]show up there on May 31,[/url] and buy a copy and have it signed in person (there are also going to be a bunch of other composers there, including ST09's Michael Giacchino). If, like me, you're in entirely the wrong part of the planet to drop by, you can order a pre-signed copy [url=http://www.darkdel.com/c52.htm]from the Dark Delicacies site.[/url]

Now, as I recall, there were also a number of signed BSG S3 albums available on La La Land's site for the first pre-orders, even though they themselves weren't offering it early that time. So this is more if you're interested in getting the Caprica soundtrack a few weeks early. If you miss the boat on this and really want a signed copy, they'll probably be out from the label, too.
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    I quite enjoyed Caprica. I suppose one could say it was slow but it played out the various decisions that would later play such a pivotal role. Quite interesting seeing it play out. It wasn't edge of the seat stuff but I thought it worked well.

Looking forward to where they are going to take this. The writers have their work cut out though since we know how things pan out. Better make a good stab at fleshing the details out.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Once Caprica grows beyond the Galactica-retrofitted concept, I suspect it'll become quite decent.
  • Pixel_DonkeyPixel_Donkey Earthforce Officer
    I think the pilot was good, I like the story so far.

I am unsure why this went straight to DVD, it just seemed weird.
  • Straight to DVD = Money
    Money = Hey we can make more money making more of this show.
    Making more money = We get rich.
    Pretty simple concept.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Straight-to-dvd releases for popular franchises are basically an active money press. Print however much you need, as the markup per volume is absurdly high.

Look at SG-1's releases. Each season tends to average a $26 retail price. On the other hand, both Continuum and Ark of Truth started at $20.

In terms of packaging cost alone, The box sets were formed cardboard boxes with three individual alphapak two-disc singles with individual covers with five discs per season. The DVD movies shipped in a single Amaray DVD case with a cardboard slip cover with a maximum of two discs to press and print.

Then consider the cost of production. DVD releases win for studios.
  • MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
    I know I most likely find it by searching the frelling Internet. But when is the first episode scheduled?

*Back to reading Red Mars*
    Next year, probably January.

Worf
    Caprica

It starts tonight. They're going to air the pilot but apparently it's going to be different from the dvd version released last year, so it'll be worth rewatching if you liked that.

Worf