Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Join the Book Club...

Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
So, Anyone reading anything interesting at the moment?

I just finished Dan Brown's new novel, it was good, but very preditctable, and am currently anxiously awating the new Stephen King (Under the Dome Nov 2009) and the new Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy book, which my friend who works for a book store was nice enough to let me read some of her preview copy of. (i am jealous as hell that she got a towel with "DON'T PANIC" on it!)

Comments

• next on my list:

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
    Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die
    Moribito: Gaurdian of Darkness

Few others, but those are pretty high on the list.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    Currently reading the Star Trek: Destiny. It's a trilogy that combines the various post Nemesis novel series (not that I've read any of those) into one story. Interesting so far.

I'll be reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies afterwards. A friend told me about it awhile ago but haven't gotten started yet. Saw it in last weeks episode of Heroes too.

Not sure what I'll read after that.

Worf
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    I'm also just got finished re-reading The Fool on the Hill by Matt Ruff, which is a brilliant fantasy, and am about to re-read The Neverending Story by Michael Ende.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I'm afraid I've let my reading slide recently :(

The only novels of note that I've read recently have been:

The Last Ship by William Brinkley (pretty good if you're into post-apocolyptic stuff)
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (as above)
    Seeds of Earth by Michael Cobley (not bad, apparently meant to be space opera, but pretty poor in comparison to Nights Dawn by Peter Hamilton)

Books I want to read:
    Ark by Stephen Baxter
    Zoe's Tale by John Scalzi
    Evolutionary Void by Peter Hamilton (not out till next year tho)
    Dune (again!)

Currently I'm reading Angel Stations by Gary Gibson. Its not bad, but nothing special either
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Currently reading the Horus Heresy series, on "Fallen Angels" right now..

Lined up is "The Forest Mage" by Robin Hobb (IIRC).
  • I am currently reading two books:

Ed Macy's Apache and Nial Ferguson's War of the world.
  • [QUOTE=Entil'Zha;184321]I just finished Dan Brown's new novel,[/QUOTE]

as a librarian I dread the german release date of the book. some smart guy decided to launch the german translation for the frankfurter bookfair on october 14th. since noone had access to the actual script before the official release mid september they will be rushing through the translation and the printing (actually, 9 !!! different translators are working on the book). the result will probably most likely be a masterwork of fiction :eek:

as for recommendations: the name of the wind, patrick rothfuss
    So the German translation will actually be better than the original? :D

Worf
  • Speaking of books, we are into Season 5 right now, and I was thinking to introduce my wife to the B5 books after some comments she made about Bester and Garibaldi.

Suddenly I realized that [I]I[/I] have not read the books.

If one would be kind enough to give me a quick run-down of the best reading order, or if any books should be avoided? Thanks:)
  • all the books are good.

That said, my least favorite was the psi-corps trilogy...but then I never LIKED the psi-corps. LOL

The one series that really wrapped up the main points in the show for me was defiantly the Centauri Trilagy. It answers all the questions about Centauri Prime, the "gift" londo left for Sheridans son, etc.

The Psi-Corps trilogy answers the questions about Bester adn Garibaldi.

The Technomage books...they add a little depth to the technomages, but other than that It's a mixed bag for me.

I've held on to the Centauri and Psi-Corps series, since they "complete" the show for me.
  • I saw that Pride and Prjudice With Zombies too. Looked in it a little.

RedAssAg, here are the canon books:

The Shadow Within, by Jeanne CAvelos
    To Dream in the City of Sorrows, by Kathryn Drennan
    Psi Corps Trilogy, by J. Gregory Keyes
    Centauri Trilogy, by Peter David
    Technomage Trilogy, by Jeanne Cavelos

And really, I'd probably recommened reading them in that order. Or maybe To Dream in the City of Sorrows before The Shadow Within. The Shadow Within should definetly be read before the Technomage trilogy though. Also, I put the Centauri trilogy in the middle of the trilogies because I personally wasn't all that impressed with it, so I say, read the great Psi Corps and Technomage books before and after, because it's better to start with one of them, and finish with one of them for a good taste in your mouth, so to say.

Stuff I've read recently:

Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Dearly Devoted Dexter
    Dexter in the Dark, all three of these by Jeff Lindsay
    In the Country of Last Things, by Paul Auster (not as good as his New York Trilogy, but I still liked it. He's great at writing really depressing books)
    Right now I'm reading Berke Breathed's Bloom County collections. I'm really enjoying this comic.
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    Currently reading the B5 Centauri series Legions of Fire.

I am also semi-reading Shadowmarch (started it, got distracted, need to get back to).
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I am currently reading [i]Lillia and Treize[/i]. After that, I plan to make another attempt on [i]図南の翼[/i], after my last attempt was foiled by work. Then I'm going to get started on [i]The Reality Dysfunction[/i].
    I bought almost all the B5 books on ebay a couple years ago, but have not had a chance to read them.

i need to get on that this winter
  • A#, Darth, thanks for your input! I think I'll start scrounging them from half.com and other avenues, and maybe make them a Christmas present.

Oh, and right now, since I recently finished my last unread Clancy Ryan novel (Patriot Games), I have picked up the Han Solo Trilogy again; reading through Paradise Snare right now.
    I enjoyed To Dream in the City of Sorrows and the Centauri trilogy the most, mostly because they were the best, but also because I havent read any of the others.
    The Reality Dysfunction is an excellent book. I need to get around to reading the other two.

Worf
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    The Reality Dysfunction is a great book, but I think the other two are even better! The Neutronium Alchemist is definitely the best of the three IMO.

Hamilton's Commonwealth duology and the follow-on Void trilogy are also definitely well worth a read
    If you've never read them, the Ringworld novels are always fun.
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    I'm reading playboy and white dwarf.
  • In BetweenIn Between The Ultimate Lurker
    @ WORF, DarthCaligula and A2597 Pride & Prejudice and Zombies a great read and a big laugh. Watch out for Sense & Sensibility and Sea Monsters I am getting to it soon.

I am reading Winds of Dune (I can't get enough of the Dune universe) and Unspeak by Steven Poole about the use of language to subvert its meaning.

B5 books are now back on the radar after reading the first three published.
    In Between: I love the dune books too, but you know you've gotten too much into it when someone annoys you and you think "I should take your water for that" :p
  • I'd really like to find stories that are like Robert E. Howard's. Maybe more writers from the 20's and 30's. I of course know about H P Lovecraft and read quite a bit of his stuff already. Of course, I have a feeling that I probably know more about this stuff than anyone else here.
    I haven't tried any of the 'new' Dune books, i should at some point
    I would certainly recommend the 'House' Dune trilogy (House Atreides, Harkonnen and Corrino) as they do link in to the two final books of the series that Anderson and Herbert's son wrote.

As for the others, they are worth reading if you have the time, but I will admit that with all the new books the completely different writing style they have compared to the originals makes for a pretty big contrast
  • In BetweenIn Between The Ultimate Lurker
    @ ShadowDancer LOL
    @ Entil'Zha I would go back to the Butlerian Jihad books to get used to Herbert and Anderson's style. It also gives you the back-story to all those quotes you see at the beginning of chapters in the original Dune series.
    It may be time to re-read the original dune books as well, it's been years
  • I'm reading Neil Gaiman's The Absolute Death right now. I've just finished the first two story arcs in it and am really enjoying it so far. I really like how the stories so far have been dealing with suicide. Not that it makes me feel any better, and Neon Genesis Evangelion has had far more of an impact on me in that area than anything else, but I still like seeing Neil Gaiman's take on such subjects.
    I'm also reading The Star Rover, by Jack London, since it was one of the books that inspired Robert E Howard. I enjoy it, though I prefer Howard's stories much more.
    I'm currently reading the new Hitchikers Guide book.
    I just finished one of the Horus Heresy series books set in the Warhammer 40k (30k) universe, "Fallen Angels". The series is enjoyable even if some books arent exactly literary masterpieces.

Ive moved on to a swedish fantasy novel called "Svavelvinter" (Sulfurwinter), based on a popular swedish roleplaying game and series of adventures that came out in the 80s. Ive never finished the adventure, so Im looking forward to the parts I know nothing about. So far, its interesting. The writer has a different approach to words than what Im used to (cant seem to narrow down exactly what he does with them though).