Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Fringe is back!

Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
Anyone watch last nights episode? I kind of saw that one coming myself but it's still nice to have a top notch AAA show on the air again. Here's hoping they keep the show in New York!

Comments

• StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    It's back, but not quite up to expectations. This episode wasn't as exciting as it could have been. Not sure if it was because you didn't really care whether they were going to catch the serial killer or Walther was going to find his long lost record player.

It all ended up being a wet firecracker to me. Been there, done that. With all those crime shows out there, it's probably difficult to come up with fresh ideas.
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    Yes, but...

Spoiler: is the kid the observer, is the kid the observer's son, or are the kid and the observer part of the same "experiment" and the kid will be the next observer?
  • Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
    I say the second half of that red stuff.
    Now I remember where I've seen Walter before. John Noble played Denethor in LotR. Quite memorable too. :D
  • MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
    Still good! John Noble is great.
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    hihihi
    Leonard Nimoy in this weeks episode
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    Noble is what makes the show for me. His comments are brilliant. And there's something about him too. Especially his typewriter.

I reckon the cow has got a major part to play ;)
  • I'm still enjoying it, but Peter's "that's impossible" every week is starting to get a little old...at this point I would have expected his character to progress a little and realize that, after what he'd seen during the first few cases, almost anything is possible.

The above is but one example, but I'm not seeing as much character growth as I would have expected to at this point. While plot points are being revealed, the characters don't seem to be evolving as a result. It's frustrating as at turns I've seen better writing on both Dollhouse [I]and[/I] Sarah Connor.

Yet [I]this[/I] is the show most likely to get renewed. Oh well.
    [QUOTE=RubberEagle;181121]hihihi
    Leonard Nimoy in this weeks episode[/QUOTE]

I've watched all aired episodes until now and Leonard Nimoy wasn't in any of them. Which Fringe are you watching? :D

And to quell any other rumor, neither was Ewan McGregor. :D

EDIT: Apparently Leonard Nimoy plays a certain Dr. William Bell... but that's in episode 20 (Original Air Date: May 12, 2009), I'm at episode 18. So, my question is, where is RubberEagle getting his Fringe episodes from? :D
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    From my "Fringe: The entire Series Collection" Blu-Rays, that i got by way of my Delorean..

Though everyone who knows his/her Nimoy should have cought his appearance in episode 1x17 ;)
    [QUOTE=RubberEagle;181271]Though everyone who knows his/her Nimoy should have cought his appearance in episode 1x17 ;)[/QUOTE]

Ok, at the very end when Walter is watching the VHS tape recording your can hear him speak, but that's it. :D

This show is starting to use LOST methods to make you look for clues in various episodes to tie up loose ends.
  • MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
    Watched episode 20 yesterday. Really think I must watch it again. It was quite intensive and a lot happening which I missed. Great season finale!
    Spock! :D

Ok, so Olivia stepped into an alternate dimension between floors while taking a hotel elevator.

No fade to white or black. Now that's what I call a season finale. :D

A lot better than Lost.

I didn't quite get the thing with Walter being at Peter's grave... could this mean that the current Peter is from another dimension?

I like where this is heading.
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    Yea.. It was a good episode. And I want more!

About Peter.. If we call the "universe" we are watching prime.. then Peter-Prime died as a kid. When he was 7 year old.. Which caused Walter to go into the other universe (and build that teleporter, remember, he said he built it trying to find cure for Peter, and travel in time..).

Would be kind of a shit storm if and when he finds out he's from Earth-2..

And just wonder if there are infinite versions of Walter as well, and will we see the Walter of Earth-2 meet Walter-Prime.

Got to love the show. :P

William Bell was kinda disappointing.. Sure, its nimoy.. but according to some sources, he was supposed to have larger role next season, but Nimoy said no, so he will be in only two or three episodes at best..
    It's baaaack! It's baaaaack! Did you get it? IT'S BAAACKK!!!!! Whooohoooo!!!

Man, I didn't realise how much I've missed Fringe. :D

Beta can kiss my a$$.

Welcome back beyond the edge of the impossible. :)

[sp]Looks like we are going to loose one of the regular supporting cast members. This usually means a career move. But then we got a cute new agent instead. So it's all good. :D[/sp]

Maybe I need to watch this episode again, but the shapeshifting thing made sense up until the very end... The shapeshifter connects a shape copying device to his latest victim and himself which allows him to assume her features and becomes a carbon copy of the nurse guarding Olivia. What I don't understand is unless the shapeshifter-nurse wasn't dead (she should be wearing 4 9mm bullet holes fired at close range) how did she manage to shapeshift into the FBI agent? You see the nurse lying dead on the floor, Peter picks up and pockets the cloning device. Cut to the end scene, the agent who shot the shapeshifter-nurse twice ends up dead in a laundry cart and the shapeshifter is now assuming the FBI agent's features without having had the benefit of the device. Peter later hands the device to Broyles. Either a key scene ended up on the cutting room floor or this is a major plot hole.

Does this make any sense to you? I know it makes no sense to me... any way you spin it. What this boils down to is when we see Peter kneeling over the dead shapeshifter-nurse, the FBI agent isn't himself already, he's been replaced, but that would mean the shapeshifter could be two bodies at the same time.

I guess we are not given all the facts here. :)
    So, anybody watch it yet?
  • Spoiler: I guess we're supposed to assume that the shifter killed the nurse and stowed her body down there, fully expecting that it would be chased down there and need a double to fool the Fringenites. So, from the time that Peter hears the shots, the shifter has enough time to (A) kill Charlie--unless it used other means to kill him and the shots were the shifter matching the bulletholes in the nurse--(B) change into Charlie, (C) pull dead nurse from her cubby to take the fall and (D) stow poor Charlie in a laundry cart for disposal later.
    [sp]But we only hear two shots downstairs and the shapeshifter-nurse was hit 4 times. If it were the original body it wouldn't have had the first couple shots from a different gun. Well, apparently ballistic analyses aren't all that accurate. At least I doubt you can tell the difference from the bullet holes or the splattered bullets/bullet fragments.

Incidentally when the shapeshifter-nurse jumps out of the window in Olivia's hospital room, she gets hit straight in the back in between the shoulder blades, that's probably an instant-kill right there to a human. This tells me that this isn't just a simple shapeshifter who can take on someone else's looks...[/sp]
    I guess Fringe has now officially entered the realm of the X-Files.

All it needs now is a mysterious smoking man. :D
    Episode 7 features the somewhat unsavory mission director seen in Defying Gravity. :D

Mind control must be one of the cheapest plot devices yet... no SFX necessary. I guess that's the price to pay for having generic 3d lettering as your location labels in all your episodes. :D Which in retrospect is quite a silly gimmick.

Funny Walter quote: You will die a horrible death. Have a nice day. :D

I figured it was [sp]the kid[/sp] all along.
  • yeah, I figured that was the case as well. Spoiler: He just looked too Emo to [I]not[/I] be the one doing it. I have to admit, the reveal that he was one of many was a surprising reveal to me, and I was pleased that they finally tied a case back to Bell and the Pattern
    Episode 8 features Peter Woodward (aka Galen) as August, one of those creepy bald headed observers we've seen in several episodes already. We get to see 4 of them.... if you care for such a thing. :D

We are back on the X-Files vibe. I like it. Curious as to what's going to happen next.

One thing did bother me though. [sp]It made absolutely no sense to me that the contract killer would take the risk of harming one of the observers. His target was the girl, not August. I guess they weren't particularly picky when they chose him for the job.[/sp]
    Episode 9 could be considered a Walter episode. The rest of the cast is relegated to supporting roles. The odd part is that it is a stand-alone story which does not necessarily fit into the pattern even though it features some gruesome creatures. Maybe those scenes were left on the cutting room floor tying the whole thing to William Bell in favor of John Noble's antics.

Anyway, it was a nice detour to keep things interesting, a filler episode of the Fringe kind.
    Episode 10 is finally driving the main plot along. I'm no brain surgeon, but this episode is a bit of a stretch, even for Fringe standards.

It makes absolutely no sense on a neurological level. AFAIK, if you remove brain cells from the cerebral cortex, your brain will reroute connections over time to compensate for the loss of brain tissue, like those neural pathways were never there to begin with. Reconnecting those missing parts, even if it were possible, would be like adding nonsensical circuitry to a repaired circuit and would hardly bring back memories or much less a different personality.

I also would have solved the dilemma at the end somewhat differently... especially since Olivia was the one with the gun. It also makes no sense for the bad guy to stick to his end of the bargain... especially since he got what he came for (whatever that was). On an emotional level she did the right thing, but it was very naive, if not stupid, and she knew it.

But I suppose this show isn't about making sense. Interesting concepts nonetheless, but hardly convincing. Still, worth watching though. Spock?
    Episode 11 makes no sense at all, chronologically speaking. It's as if this episode was aired at the wrong time. You'll know it when you see it, I mean, him.

Other than that, it wasn't a particularly interesting story as it didn't really seem to fit into the "pattern."

Anyway, it was nice to be back regardless.
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    Yeah, I caught that too. Almost like a 1st season episode that got tossed into 2nd season.
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    I thought that's how it was advertised as even?

I saw some previews with that atleast.
    Apparently it was a bonus episode from season 1. Great, what else aren't they showing us?
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Sounds like another way of saying "We didn't like this episode the first time, but in season 2 they didn't produce enough random episodes the execs liked. So we're chucking out this episode from season 1 instead."
    I don't see any other way people could possibly interpret this "gracious" act. The suits watched this somewhat unremarkable episode and instead of taking the risk of dropping ratings, they chose to delay the airing to the point when people would actually appreciate the show coming back regardless of its quality.

So now we know how Walter feels about possessions... and priests, great. :D