Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

SciFi classics anyone?

Comments

• dang, and I've been ignoring this thread since I haven't yet finished ME1...

HI RICK!
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    Shouldn't it be the Mass Effect thread you ignore? :)
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    :D
  • RickRick Sector 14 Studios
    LOL....thanks A...

-R.
  • I'm not recommending a classic, but a good if overlooked SF movie released in 2004.
    The premise is that people can have brain implants that record their lives, when they die "cutters" assemble the footage into a homage movie. It's not about the tech but about its impact (as good SF should be), focusing on a cutter (Robin Williams) that has access to a recorded memory which might have information some don't want anyone to find.

[URL="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0364343/"]The Final Cut[/URL].
    Many IMDB comments miss the point by comparing it to another movie (or maybe it is just that I never saw the movie they compare it too). Other negative comments (that not all consequences are explored) also miss the point, good SF should also leave some questions.

I think it's a good movie, not a masterpiece, but worth seeing.
    Just finished watching [I]Fahrenheit 451[/I], a 1966 adaptation of Ray Bradbury's novel by the same name. The main protagonist is played by German actor Oskar Werner. Zere iz a little akzent in hiz voiz wenn he speaks English. :D Julie Christie steels the show whenever she is in a scene. It took a while for me to notice that she was playing two roles. I guess the long hair was a bit distracting. She's not particularly convincing... but she'd probably look great in a bathing suit. ;)

Fahrenheit 451, the temperature at which book paper burns. I guess it's supposed to be a controversial topic, but I didn't really feel shocked by the idea. I was more disturbed by the fact that the firemen were setting fires and not fighting them.

As far as I'm concerned books are just a medium, it's the contents that matters. Not all books are worth keeping. :)

I'll be checking out [I]The Final Cut[/I] later on.
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Its about what happens when censorship and political correctness runs amuck. Its kinda relevant to the situation nowadays.

Havent seen the film, but read the book. Now go see Equilibrium, if you havent. :)
    I've seen [I]Equilibrium[/I], with Christian Bale. It was alright, although I can't remember a single scene. Not very memorable for some reason.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Equilibrium is awesome for one reason and one reason only: [i]he kills with mathematics.[/i]
    I distinctly remember him using guns. :D
    Guns powered by [i]mathematics[/i].
    I thought they were powered by statistics. :p
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    Statistics never kill, but killers always use them...no wait that ain't right...

Jake
    [QUOTE=Messiah;187411]I thought they were powered by statistics. :p[/QUOTE]

Stats is maths. :)
    [QUOTE=Biggles;187414]Stats is maths. :)[/QUOTE]

Not if you ask Charles Wentworth Dilke. ;)
    Well, if you want to be pedantic, he kills with statistics. Which is just as awesome.
    Yes, we can both agree on that, I think.
    Just to show how awesome statistics can be:
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    84% of statistics are 93% inaccurate 27% of the time, the rest are made up on the spot.
    [QUOTE=Capt.Montoya;186834]I'm not recommending a classic, but a good if overlooked SF movie released in 2004.
    The premise is that people can have brain implants that record their lives, when they die "cutters" assemble the footage into a homage movie. It's not about the tech but about its impact (as good SF should be), focusing on a cutter (Robin Williams) that has access to a recorded memory which might have information some don't want anyone to find.

[URL="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0364343/"]The Final Cut[/URL].
    Many IMDB comments miss the point by comparing it to another movie (or maybe it is just that I never saw the movie they compare it too). Other negative comments (that not all consequences are explored) also miss the point, good SF should also leave some questions.

I think it's a good movie, not a masterpiece, but worth seeing.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I saw it and I'm speechless... I have no clue what this movie was all about. It's all over the place. Is it about a brain implant recording your every move? Is it about guys cutting together a film of your life after your death? Is it about a childhood accident that haunts a man almost to his death until he learns that his mind had played a trick on him? Is it about corporate intrigue/espionage to bring down the maker of the brain implant? Is it all of the above? I don't know. I suppose the makers want you to buy the strategy guide to the movie.

I even agree with the latest review on the IMDb page, the true issues (privacy, truth, memory) are never dealt with and were dumped on the cutting room floor.

The silly thing is, all the time I thought I was watching [URL="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0265459/"]One Hour Photo[/URL]... which is a totally different film. Which btw, I still need to check out. Hopefully that will make more sense. :D

It's ironic that a movie which focuses on the film cutting profession in its title feels so jumbled together. This movie is only second to [URL="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0209144/"]Memento[/URL], which I haven't even tried to understand.
    I don't think you're meant to understand Memento.
  • DarthCaligulaDarthCaligula Elite Ranger
    Memento was awesome.
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    I agree, Memento is awesome.
    Memento [i]is indeed[/i] awesome.
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    By no means a classic, but a surprisingly good movie: City of Ember
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Well I finally got around to watching Outlander, and I have to say that it was actually rather better than I expected. Ron Perlman was of course brilliant, although I wish there'd been more of him in it. Nevertheless it was still a pretty entertaining romp
    Now that was a weird flick. I stumbled across one of David Cronenberg's lesser known (to me) movies, [URL="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120907/"]eXistenZ[/URL] a somewhat wacky 1999 movie featuring quite a large cast of big names like Jude Law, Willem Dafoe, Ian Holm and Callum Rennie (aka Leoben Connoy on BSG) and last but not least Jennifer Jason Leigh (her name sounds familiar, but I can't name another of her movies).

If I had to compare its wackiness to another movie I would place it square with Peter Jackson's [URL="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092610/"]Bad Taste[/URL]. Something is off in both movies and I can't quite put a finger on it. To some eXistenZ may be a cult classic. I'm not even sure it qualifies as a scifi flick. The gear that is used to connect people to the virtual world can only be described as revolting at best and is anything but cool. Connecting what looks like an abortion through an umbilical cord to your spine (which needs to be tapped by a gruesome procedure) is not what I would consider a marketable interface.

The message of the movie is not particularly deep or thought-provoking. I feel like the movie is trying to be too close to the gamer crowd for its own good. I can't say I'm a fan.
    Just watched an old classic B-movie called [URL="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092746/"]Cherry 2000[/URL]. I'm a sucker for anything about humanoid droids and this one has been on my list for a long time. We can all rest easy now, it's not on any list of mine any longer.

Talk about two-dimensional campy acting coming from two-dimensional campy characters in a two-dimensional campy story. I mean, look at all the mayhem to get some hardware?! The story, if you can call it that, makes absolutely no sense. One guy fries his sexdroid in his kitchen, the next thing you see is him going on a wild goose chase in the badlands. This flick makes Mad Max look like the LoTR trilogy. I was expecting Chevy Chase to show up at any moment. Well, he didn't so I knew I wasn't watching a scary movie comedy. At least the guy comes to his senses at the end, but wow, who is really that dense? :D

On the plus side, you don't get to see too many movies with Piper Cubs in them... a genuine jump back in time to the late 80s. Thankfully they don't make movies like that anymore. :D Does Cherry 2000 qualify as scifi? Does a Bic Mac qualify as healthy food?

Pop quiz: how do you fit 8 quad bikes into the back of a truck that only fits two? (hint: ask the pink elephants...)
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I think it's time to chime in and add Galaxy Quest as a worthy contributor. I just had a resurgence of nostalgia for this film from not too long ago. While most consider it a parody of Star Trek, I feel it's far more a loving satire of the genre and its fans. And even though I've seen it several dozen times I can always enjoy another go.
    Agreed, Galaxy quest is really, really good. "HEY! Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!" and " I see you've managed to get your shirt off." are two of my fav quotes in any movie..