Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

JMS Still dreaming of a B5 movie

SpiritOneSpiritOne MagnetoABQ NM
[URL="http://www.newsarama.com/film/JMS-Week-Movies-TV-100220.html"]WB is treating him well, and asking how much it might take[/URL]. I wont hold my breath though, we have been here before.

Comments

• StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    Spinoffs, what [I]spinoffs[/I]? I only know of [I]Crusade[/I]? Nobody tells me anything. :(
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    Legend of the Rangers and The Lost Tales?
    It was a rhetorical question. :D
  • Its happened before, but I'm still holding onto hope.
    After Avatar and Star Trek, not surprised WB are interested in a B5 movie. But we'll have to see how difficult JMS is about it. Some things I'm glad he stands his ground on (like no recasting of the main characters) but sometimes things don't get done because of it.

Worf
  • StrikerStriker Provided with distinction
    Well WB should hurry up and make a decision. The cast isn't getting any younger. Boxleitner turns 60 this year, Furlan is 54, Jurasik is 59, and Doyle is 53. Sure with the right makeup and costumes they look like their old selves but makeup only goes so far. With Biggs and Katsulas beyond the rim it's going to be tough to write a full motion picture script.

Let's not forget that JMS is going to have to transition the story from a show that ended over a decade ago to the big screen for the audience. It's going to have to be marketed just right to get the audience to pay for a ticket. If it is marketed poorly, I don't see it doing too well. Most people just don't remember B5 unless they are a major sci-fi fan.

Firefly did it, but the movie didn't make a profit until years later. The DVD sales made up for the lack of revenue from the theaters which pushed the movie into the profit zone.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I can see WB pushing jumping on the reboot bandwagon.
    Another thing I'm glad JMS will refuse to do.

Worf
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    It isn't always a bad thing. Who wouldn't wish season 1 could be redone ;)

To be honest I think we would be better off with something in the universe, but not directly involving the origional cast.

A Call To Arms would make a fantastic movie IMHO :)
  • StrikerStriker Provided with distinction
    The problem Croxis is JMS has to tie it in with the original B5 story and cast. Otherwise he's going to alienate part of his fanbase as he didn't opt to use the regular cast.

As I pointed out, JMS is going to be in a type of situation like Firefly and Serenity. He's going to have to stay true to the story while at the same time making the movie appeal to the masses.
  • I'm just sad we'll never see the Centauri trilogy in film form. Such excellent books.
    [QUOTE=Striker;187016]The problem Croxis is JMS has to tie it in with the original B5 story and cast. Otherwise he's going to alienate part of his fanbase as he didn't opt to use the regular cast.[/QUOTE]

As we've seen many times before, the fans are the last item on the studios' list of things that will get them committed to start a movie project. They don't really care about alienating us or not. It certainly didn't stop them from remaking cruddy reboots before.

[QUOTE]As I pointed out, JMS is going to be in a type of situation like Firefly and Serenity. He's going to have to stay true to the story while at the same time making the movie appeal to the masses.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad his principles don't get trampled, in the meantime there's no new B5 projects and time goes bye-bye. I hope he can work something out with Ron Howard, who he's rather on good terms with from what I've gathered.

I don't know how well [I]Changeling[/I] was received by the public, but that's not really what I'd like to see more of from JMS (with all due respect).
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    I have not seen Changeling, but from what I heard it was mostly the wrong director. Couple reviews I read on it did praise it for the script though.
  • The script was good for Changeling, I thought...I caught at least one B5 reference in it, made me smile.

It's funny, for a movie based on an actual event, I thought it was presented in a pretty well-thought-out, entertaining way.
    I found Changeling to be an excellent film. But it's the kind of film you only watch once.
  • He doesn't have to involve the entire cast. I mean, kinda inpractical considering everybody went their seperate ways after season 5. Also, it'd be cool to see some Crusade characters as well aside from Galen. I'd love to see Captain Gideon in some way or another. Maybe him and Ivanova are commanding a task force for some...thing, I dunno.
  • Am I the only one who would prefer that B5 just be laid to rest? I'm really just not that interested in seeing more. I think that it should just be left alone as it is instead of being bled dry. I'd like a computer game of it though.
  • I see your point, but I've been waiting for a cinematic release since at least 1997. I think B5 fans deserve at least that. Then it can be put to rest.
    I don't think we'll get a game without a movie at this point :(

Worf
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE=DarthCaligula;187027]Am I the only one who would prefer that B5 just be laid to rest?[/QUOTE]

No.

[QUOTE=croxis;187015]It isn't always a bad thing. Who wouldn't wish season 1 could be redone ;) [/QUOTE]

Me. Apart from some cheap effects and TKO, it really wasn't [i]that[/i] bad.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I agree with Biggles. Ok, there are some bits that could be done better now, and I dont mean just the graphics, but IMO it was a vital setup to the main story and had to be 'slow'.

As to B5 being laid to rest, I'm on the fence with this. If it cant be done [I]well[/I], then yes it should be considered finished. I would prefer to wait another 10 years for it to be done well than it be rushed, starved and ruined. Of course we may not have 10 years, but I think you get the gist of my point.

I dont think it necessarily should involve all the old cast, it would be nice if it did, but the B5 universe is a big one with lots of stories yet to be told. You dont need to the whole original cast to do that, however much I wish Andreas Katsulas and Rick Biggs were still with us (even now I still cant believe they're gone!). As LoTR (whatever its other shortcomings were) and Crusade showed, you can still make use of the original cast to tell new stories with new people, and getting them all involved would of course be fantastic.