Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

They Want to Create a Star...Here on Earth

[URL="http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/science/04/28/laser.fusion.nif/index.html?hpt=C1"]Come again?[/URL]

I'm no scientist, but I did see this happen in an episode of Eureka, and it did not end well.

Comments

• Hmm, I wonder if we can do this before 2012!
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Sweet! I'm looking forward to seeing how the progress
  • CurZCurZ Resident Hippy
    Isn't this just inertial confinement fusion?
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    That sounds a lot more risky than the Large Hadron Collider to me...
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    actually, didn't they do this in Spiderman 2?
  • Well Worf, the way I see it, if their mini-sun gets out of control, the LHC guys can fire up their mini-black-hole and swallow it up. I guess that would swallow us too, though.

But if they don't create the black hole, the sun will consume us as it grows beyond control...

...Either way, is bad for Zathras.
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Oh wow. News services can spin anything out of control..
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Oh noes! They'll kill us all!

This experiment cannot get out of control and destroy the world, or even a small part of California. They haven't even thought about sustained fusion yet; they're still working on ignition.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but even if they did have a sustained reaction, it still couldnt get out of control as it would rapidly deplete its fuel source?
  • Yeah, I'd start to be worried only if their goal would be to open several jump points inside sun.
  • What if they tried to slingshot a mini-bird of prey around the mini-sun? Would that save the whales?