Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Babylon 5 and the Big Bang Theory

TycoTyco RangerTexas
So I wonder why Sheldon hates the show so much... the rest of the gang loves it.

Was mentioned twice tonight, once in a flash back, and then as a rerun in present (What the hell channel they were watching is beyond me, havn't seen it on in years.)

Anyways, love to hear the name still being brought up all these years later.

:csmile:}:):vorlon::shadow2:

Comments

• StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    I must confess that I have yet to watch my first episode of BBT. Who knows, maybe there are a few B5ers in the writing staff of the show and they want to pull JMS's chain to get a reaction.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Maybe one person on the writing staff hates it and the rest all love it, so to keep that one person happy they made one character hate it.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Maybe they should fire that person then since they clearly have no taste
  • CurZCurZ Resident Hippy
    Wait a sec. Are these forums about... [I]Babylon 5?[/I] Oh no, I hate that show so much. I can't believe I've been here all these years and never realized it was about that horrible, horrible show.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    Sheldon: "After you've finished breakfast, I thought we could watch the final season of Babylon 5 with director's commentary"

Leonard: "You hate Babylon 5"

Sheldon: "I do. It fails as drama, science fiction and is hopelessly derivative. But you like it and you're my friend"

Leonard: "Ok, Great. Still not taking you to Switzerland"...
    [url=http://www.firstones.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12119]I have the impression we've had this discussion before... still trying to give a d4Mn... please wait... please wait... [BEEP!] Unable to give a d4Mn! Please contact your local administrator if this happens again.[/url]
  • DarthCaligulaDarthCaligula Elite Ranger
    I've heard people talk about this show, but like most TV, I have no interest in ever seeing it.
  • TycoTyco Ranger Texas
    Yep, it's been discussed before... just thought I'd bring it up, being a new episode our beloved series was mentioned in.
    [QUOTE]Sheldon: "It fails as drama, science fiction and is hopelessly derivative."[/QUOTE]

Only someone who hasn't (or is pretending that he hasn't) watched the show would say this.

There is no argument. :D
  • They are actors. They get paid by lying to you and pretending that they are someone else.
    Say it ain't so! :(
    It ain't so.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    So... I should stop building my Enterprise, then? And I was just about to conduct another test of the warp drive, too. :(
  • Yeah, they have fooled us all.

There is an old saying, you know:
    Fool me once, shame on... shame on you. Fool me...You can't get fooled again.
    [QUOTE=Biggles;188578]So... I should stop building my Enterprise, then? And I was just about to conduct another test of the warp drive, too. :([/QUOTE]

Sir, you can't call it the Enterprise!
    I've started my BBT marathon two days ago and I'm at the beginning of the third season. So far B5 got mentioned once and it was just in passing. Anyway, it's quite funny and entertaining to see actors portaying various academic stereotypes. :D As far as I can tell, the writers did their homework for once. ;) Sheldon and Leonard are funny as hell and the rest of the cast are entertaining too. I think I'm going to enjoy the rest of the show. :)
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    It's been mentioned in King of Queens a couple times too, usually as a jab at Spence for being a nerd with no girlfriends...

Gee, let's resurrect an old thread again...
  • Triple-FTriple-F Earthforce Officer
    And Buffy, for the same reasons.
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    I have seen some Big Bang Theory.. and I find it insulting.

The characters are mostly over caricatured, unlikable idjits.

The acting is kind of blocky. There's just nothing interesting in it. Maybe if they had boobs from time to time, but its not that type of show.

Occasionally they have some stuff about comic books etc, that I partially agree on.. but I see those one minute clips elsewhere if needed.

And yes.. I hate Sheldon, I dislike the actor playing him.. he just seems so sleazy.
  • DaxDax Redshirt
    Oh I LOVE BBT! It's such a cute airy show that finally puts some g33k in prime time! I love it when I'm watching it with other friends and they don't get references- golden!
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    Has B5 been mentioned on Community? That show has some pretty strong geek cred and their references are often more subtle.

A good example was the three season long Beetlejuice reference: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19FMU3M7Jtk&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL717BEA33ECBC4A93[/url]

Jake
  • Still not interested in seeing it.
    There are people who don't like the Simpsons. There is just no way to please everybody. A show with guest appearances of Summer Glau, Wil Wheaton, Lewis Black and Neil Tyson (just to name a few) cannot be that bad. I took the plunge and I do not regret it. BBT makes me smile every time I watch it and that's a good thing in my book. :)
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    I watched Chuck for my geek references but that show has ended now :(

They did stuff like [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_rJ_tV0uFI"]this[/URL] :D

I don't recall a specific mention of B5 but Bruce Boxleitner and Gary Cole both had guest roles.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    I liked how in Reign of Fire they did the stage play for the kids in the castle of the part of Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back with Darth Vader and Luke...

:p
    Can you believe it, I was tasked to hum the Imperial March in a board game an nobody recognized it?? And no, it's not because I suck at humming!! :D

You'd think everybody should know the melody by now from seeing the movie, but apparently there are still people out there who have not. Unbelieveable!
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    It is back in theaters now too!
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    Yeah but it's [I]that[/I] one.
    Now with a glorious THX 3D headache. Yep, I can see the improvements right there! :D
  • [QUOTE=Freejack;194783]Has B5 been mentioned on Community? That show has some pretty strong geek cred and their references are often more subtle.

A good example was the three season long Beetlejuice reference: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19FMU3M7Jtk&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL717BEA33ECBC4A93[/url]

Jake[/QUOTE]

No, but they have referenced good Sci-Fi. Like Farscape. Now that was a funny episode.

BBT feels like it's being written by sitcom writers from 20 years ago, and they've got some geek locked in a closet to hit up for references that keep the nerds watching, even though they are the demographic being mocked.