Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

The Byron arc is just awful

We'll all be together in a better place? Horrid. Just cringe-inducing.

That is all.

Comments

• CurZCurZ Resident Hippy
    Damn you for reminding me of that song.
  • Just watched that episode last night and I had to share my fortune!
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Perhaps Byron should be added to the list.

The thing that probably bugs me most about Byron is that the actor playing him is incredibly talented. He was completely wasted on a crap storyline and a crap role.
  • I'm a Byron Apologetic. I thought the story and character was fine. Really made an impact in the Lyta arc. After the Vorlons she had nowhere to go.

Yeah the cult-ness of his followers and the song may seem horrid but I think it was required to authenticate the storyline, if you will.

Plus you have to admit some of Byron's pacifism speeches were pretty awesome ("Was three the same as two and one?")
  • I dont think season 5 had anything to do with storyline... I can remember only one episode, Sleeping in light.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    The second half of season 5 had plenty to do with the storyline. Remember, Bryon's story was rushed to fill in the gap because they finished the Earth civil war early, expecting season 4 to be the end of the show.

Worf
  • Yeah, I know the reason behind... But if I'd really need to think what interesting happened during season 5, I can only raise one episode, Sleeping in light.

Sadly, when looking back the fifth season, that is the only episode I can remember by content, and by name.

Byron arc is just collateral damage.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    I remember reading, I think it was in one of the script books, that the Byron arc was intended to be a conflict between Ivonova and Lyta.

Also interesting tidbit. jms joined a cult when he was young because the girl of his dreams was a part of it. Much of the Byron cult arc was written based on his own personal experiences.
  • Who's Byron? I don't remember any Byron arc in B5?
  • [QUOTE=sinclair;190081]Yeah, I know the reason behind... But if I'd really need to think what interesting happened during season 5, I can only raise one episode, Sleeping in light.

Sadly, when looking back the fifth season, that is the only episode I can remember by content, and by name.

Byron arc is just collateral damage.[/QUOTE]

C'mon you don't even remember Day of the Dead? IMO that's the quintessential classic Season 5 episode, because its arc-less (and the only non-JMS penned episode past the end of Season 2).

Fall of Centauri Prime is probably the pinnacle Season 5 episode. I think that and Endgame are the two "climax" episodes of the whole series.
  • A#, I envy you.
  • [QUOTE=Seafroggys;190088]C'mon you don't even remember Day of the Dead? IMO that's the quintessential classic Season 5 episode, because its arc-less (and the only non-JMS penned episode past the end of Season 2).

Fall of Centauri Prime is probably the pinnacle Season 5 episode. I think that and Endgame are the two "climax" episodes of the whole series.[/QUOTE]
    When you mention the names it becomes easier, though I'm a bit shamed about Fall of Centauri Prime...
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    The actor who played Byron was definitely wasted on the role, tho I do understand why the arc was shoe-horned into season 5. If they'd had more warning then I think it might have turned out better. Then again, if they'd had more warning, they wouldnt have ended the civil war early :rolleyes:

I still havent seen the start of Fall of Centauri Prime, due to the dvd's not having it. I'm loath to buy a whole new box set just for that, tho I am tempted at times :s
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    The 2nd half of season 5 is essential viewing for anyone who cares even the slightest about G'Kar and Londo.
  • [QUOTE=RedAssAg05;190089]A#, I envy you.[/QUOTE]

Selective memory comes in handy from time to time. :D
  • [QUOTE=A2597;190095]Selective memory comes in handy from time to time. :D[/QUOTE]
    I can't wait to get dementia... Imagine watching Babylon 5 over and over again without knowing how it all plays out!
  • [QUOTE=Biggles;190093]The 2nd half of season 5 is essential viewing for anyone who cares even the slightest about G'Kar and Londo.[/QUOTE]

This...considering that this arc began with the very, very first episode (Midnight).

And did some DVD's not have Fall of Centauri Prime? Seriously? Mine did.
  • Yea, the Londo and G'kar stuff is the only reason to watch the season.

And then immediately read the Centauri trilogy
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    [QUOTE=Seafroggys;190097]And did some DVD's not have Fall of Centauri Prime? Seriously? Mine did.[/QUOTE]

Oh it had the episode on it, just missing the first 5mins before the opening titles....the bit where Centauri Prime is being bombarded from orbit. That's the bit I've never seen
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    [QUOTE=RedAssAg05;190068]We'll all be together in a better place? Horrid. Just cringe-inducing.

That is all.[/QUOTE]

Sir, seriously? Yes.
  • I just wanted to agree with Shadow real quick, about the actor playing Byron. I can't remember the name of the character but the Minbari speaking role he played, however brief, was done well.

Oh yeah, and for the life of me I can't figure out how to quote someone else's message with the "Orignally posted by' tag unless I do it through code. No biggie
    Click the righthand of the two buttons on the bottom right of anyones post, then click "quote message in reply" below. Go advanced if you want to chose which bits of text to quote specifically ;)
  • The only thing I actually remember from season 5 was the sex episodewith Lyta on top of Bryon, interestng. There was no talking.
  • You forgot everything with Londo? G'kar? Drakh?!
  • Yes, I remember that sex scene quite vividly. :csmile:

I dunno...I was 11 when Season 5 first aired, and I was very sympathetic to Byron. I didn't know why the Alliance were such assholes to him. I guess as I grew older those sympathies never really went away. And the singing stuff never seemed odd to me because.....well, I go to Orycon every year. That shit is normal.
  • [QUOTE=A2597;190131]You forgot everything with Londo? G'kar? Drakh?![/QUOTE]

naa I remeber that too a little
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    Unfortunately I too have recently been watching the Byron arc. I think it is an interesting and decently done side story, but one not needed in the B5 universe. The problem with the arc is that it doesn't fit the show, not that it is a bad arc. And yeah, that song is...horrid.
  • [QUOTE=ShadowDancer;190101]Oh it had the episode on it, just missing the first 5mins before the opening titles....the bit where Centauri Prime is being bombarded from orbit. That's the bit I've never seen[/QUOTE]
    The missing teaser was an issue on some Region 2 DVDs, iirc. I looked back and found this:
    [QUOTE]Warner Home Video
    Warner House
    98 Theobold's Road
    London
    WC1X 8WB
    [/QUOTE]
    that you can write to for a replacement. I'd read that they also sent out replacements for the disk containing "The Corps is Mother..." because some didn't have the special title sequence.

HTH,
    Jan
    Thanks, I might look into that!
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    The Centauri arc at the end of Season 5 was pretty good, so for me that makes up for any mediocre Byron stuff.