Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Caprica

1235»

Comments

• WORFWORF The Burninator
    That was one problem yes. However, after the mid season break, it felt like the new executive producer realised they needed to advance the plot toward the upcoming Cylon rebellion. Supposedly that is only a few years ahead of when Caprica takes place. So the various characters and plot threads have been brought closer together. It's not difficult to see how the rebellion comes about from this point. I'm just not sure what they'll do about the end of episode 17.
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    You see this is something thats been bugging me for a while. When would the rebellion have taken place? Given this is a tv show with a likely 5 series run (give or take), would we have had to sit through 3 seasons of watching the Cylons twitching, oil boiling etc before they finally snapped? As soon as they rebelled we'd be much closer to the 1st war storyline and therefore Blood & Chrome. I've had this thought since the pilot. I can see that they wanted to explore the complexity of how the rebellion came about and that there was more to it than a bunch of robits suddenly becoming "aware".

The real problem here is Moore etc have had to write backwards... and it simply hasn't worked. Similar in a way to the Sarah Connor Chronicles. The burden of knowing how things panned out...
    I looked into it before. The Cylon War is almost 6 years after the pilot episode of Caprica. I get the impression that a year has passed in the story already.

And the uprising I imagine would begin before the war.

It's the Cylons being sold to the STO that start the uprising, it was said in BSG they always believed in the one true god and that's part of the reason for the initial rebellion.

Zoe is probably leading it. It makes the whole Cylon search for human bodies make sense and I can see her snapping if her father tries to use the technology for profit, rather than helping her.

But the time for speculation will be after we see the finale.
    And that was the finale. It wrapped things up quite nicely and I suspect when the decision was made to cancel the show, they went back and filmed a new ending.

It sets things up quite nicely for the Cylon war and maybe we'll see some of those plot threads being brought into Blood and Chrome.
  • Did they show all the episodes over there? SyFy put the last 3 on hold until next year:(
    The last 5 episodes were shown in Canada.
  • Ah okay.

Thanks a lot, SyFy. Why don't you put more wrestling on your schedule.
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    That was a good wrap up alright. I actually liked it. It had a sense of urgency (for obvious reasons) and a rapid pace which was sorely lacking for most of the series. Lets hope they've learned some lessons for the next show!
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I'm just now starting to plow through the remaining five episodes of Caprica. A few minutes ago, I finished "Blowback," and am currently half through "Dirteaters." It's a shame the writers took this long to fix its pacing issue and shift the focus back toward the living, breathing characters. If it had been running this briskly and with this same level of focus on plot advancement from the beginning, I don't doubt it would have at least kept its initial audience. The first half of the season was just packed with so much needless dicking around for no good reason that all but the most dedicated viewers jumped ship when the break came or had simply forgotten to tune back in.

These new episodes are interesting, perhaps even...great! I'm loving the deeply layered political drama, the focus on every single side of the story. I care about the characters and am deeply loving the "Show, don't tell" approach to exposition that they seem to have adopted.

But it's cancelled, so my observations are basically moot. On the upside, it's going to go out on the upswing! As mentioned above, I do hope the lessons learned from Caprica are passed on to Blood And Chrome.
    They switched showrunner at the midpoint. Jane Espensen worked on the first half and I'm not sure she really knew what to do with the show and possibily let the studio execs have too much creative control.

Kevin Murphy took over for the second half and I think he really understood what Caprica should be about and the direction it needed to go.

I look forward to your opinion on the finale.

Worf
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    [QUOTE=Sanfam;191158] I care about the characters and am deeply loving the "Show, don't tell" approach to exposition that they seem to have adopted. [/QUOTE]

One of my favorite examples was in "False Labor," when Daniel begins ranting and Amanda-A for not being real enough. "Well, that explains [i]that[/i] case of Pinocchio-syndrome," I said to myself. No wonder the Cylons had so much trouble accepting that they were alive, if that's how they were treated.
    I ran out of time to finish the entire show, so all that I'm left with is Apotheosis. I'm eagerly looking forward to it, but i'll be damned if the show hasn't won me back.
    I don't think you'll be disapointed with Apotheosis.
  • Well, that was a little lame.

Spoiler: The Willie Adama we were all getting to know is the dead older brother of the Bill Adama of BSG? Well, that fixes the timeline issues I was having with Willie's age, but seems a pretty lazy plot device. Even if they'd had more seasons to show Joseph mourning, then growing closer to the woman he was with, her having his new baby, etc...still lame in my opinion. Oh well, it's done now!
    [sp]I think that death was written before the cancellation and they probably had a more long term plan. The entire ending of Apotheosis felt like they got some of the actors back to tie up the main plotlines as best as they could.

We also never found out what happened to Tamara, she just completely vanished in the last two episodes.[/sp]
  • Yeah, I noticed that too. Completely absent.
    I'm going to quickly preface this with a little fact that most of you already know: I love minimalist storytelling, with some details left idle while the plot is advanced. In this vein, the Finale was fantastic. It clearly connected to everything we knew, gave even the most loathed of characters a conclusion that felt rightfully earned. It also leaves enough open that Blood and Chrome can build a unique backstory without it feeling forced or even requiring the viewing of Caprica to make sense.

While I do believe the ending was rushed to some detriment, I'm more than glad to see that some of the logical failures of the show addressed in that short window.

I still don't care for Zoe, but I'm glad she finally had drive and purpose that didn't make everyone else's actions irrelevant. The family being reunited felt both comfortable and appropriate, and her seeming fairly happy resuming her life as their daughter within v-world was very welcome. The general lack of angst was of great benefit to this finale.

[sp]Having the opportunity to view the effective dissolution of the STO by a cylon assault force was more than just welcome, it was a perfect and natural change of pace. The story quickly accelerated and all of the pieces fell into place. Seeing them operate so effectively, and with no apparent loss of life to anyone other than those targeted was fantastic. The pacing was such that I had to keep watching. Would the plan be carried out, or would the population be thrust into a larger "war" between the Poly- and Monotheists?

The closure of this thread--V-world heaven, the human monotheistic movement, and the involvement of our characters in it--made for a satisfying and logical end. We saw through the natural conclusion of a story we had a vested interest in! In modern television, this is extremely rare and I'm glad we got what we did.

The issue with Willie Adama was a big one throughout the show's run, one that was often intentionally swept under the rug in the hopes that they would work it out. From everything that we know about Admiral Adama, the character we saw growing up never really felt like him, nor did he fall into the appropriate age range. We also knew about the Tauron naming system, as it was mentioned once before. I wish we had more time to make this relationship grow, more time to see the Adamas overcome their sorrow over the loss, but the series ran dry and what we got was more than satisfactory as it demonstrated exactly what we would have learned otherwise. Another case of "Show, don't tell" winning.

While it may have been intended as a teaser for the next season, the Epilogue provided perfect closure, linking what we saw with what we know. The Cylons being a strongly religious race now makes sense given both it and their origin and the path to their eventual betrayal of humanity becomes clear. Similarly, the rapid integration of them into society did make sense given the above-mentioned efficiency in action combined exposure to several billion people. Marketing might be expensive, but people trust what they see.[/sp]

While I am disappointed in that the series was allowed (or even designed) to keep viewers hanging from episode to episode with its initial slow pace, I am more than pleased that what we got didn't run longer than needed and drag out over several years. Given the previous showrunner's style, the final eight episodes of content could easily have been stretched to a season and a half, making the urgency that we did encounter feel weak and perhaps unimportant in the greater scheme of things. So much time was spent investing in side characters in both the real world and V-World who would not make it past three or four episodes, all the while ignoring advancement of the plot driving these people. It was just stupid and was probably a contributor to its ability to leak viewers like an empty bucket (I know I was among that group and almost never watched the second half of the season)

As mentioned earlier, I hope they pay attention to why the show became watchable again and avoid making those mistakes with Blood and Chrome.

[SIZE="4"][B]Series Verdict: B+[/SIZE]
    Series Verdict (First Half): C
    Series Verdict (Last Half): A [/B]