Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Traveling plans

E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
Going to do little trekking in late April-early May...
More precisely to here:
[url]http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=28.005617,86.854455&spn=0.008298,0.014827&t=h&z=17[/url]
Boring looking landscape in there, isn't it? :D

Now if Olympus would just finally get out that serious Micro Four Thirds camera body instead of pocket compacts.
Darn analog "mirror viewfinders" force to check afterwards that nothing nasty sticks into edges of images and makes right amount of exposure corrections harder... also 1080p video would surely come handy in there.

Comments

• FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    Is that Nepal?

Jake
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I've just discovered that I've got most of March off from work as I've got to use up all my annual leave before the start of April. I've got 5 days off, 4 days back at work, then 10 days off, 2 days back, then another 6 days off. :D

I need ideas for what to do with all that time off, as I dont really want to be just sat around the flat watching tv. Plus after April I probably wont get such a long stretch off work for a good while. And as a bonus its also not during school holidays, so it should still be fairly cheap. I'm thinking of somewhere hot at the moment, but beyond that, I'm open to suggestions!
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    If you want to go somewhere hot, may I suggest [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun"]here[/URL]?
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    you're seriously going to climb Everest???
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    It could just be base camp. That's a hike I'd love to do.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    I'd love to see Crater Lake, Oregon again...
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    [QUOTE=JackN;191209]I'd love to see Crater Lake, Oregon again...[/QUOTE]

Me too! And actually hike around it. Although it is a little bit closer to me :D
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    At first I thought it was the moon, then I made myself feel stupid by zooming out. :p
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE=Biggles;191207]It could just be base camp. That's a hike I'd love to do.[/QUOTE]Another good thing in hiking to there is that walking is rather inexpensive form of travelling.
    About week shorter trips (two weeks) to Kilimanjaro or Mt. Kenya with car safari to some Kenyan park would have been more expensive... and had heck lot more boring landscape with that single mountain in the middle of plain.

[QUOTE=Messiah;191220]At first I thought it was the moon, then I made myself feel stupid by zooming out. :p[/QUOTE]Google could really do better job at naming places in there...
    Without first knowing exactly where base camp is you would have very hard time in finding it by zooming in and searching.
    While Lukla and couple villages along the route are named after that there are no hints to follow.
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE=JackN;191209]I'd love to see Crater Lake, Oregon again...[/QUOTE]Only that one place?
    Aren't there enough places in Rocky Mountains and west US to spend whole summer?
  • do you have to wear an air tank?
    So it is base camp that you're going to? Let me know how it turns out.
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    My, my, what a spacious airfield:
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDfI4tbMUvs[/url]

Looks like Kala Patthar would be good place to take sunset photos with Mt. Everest and other high peaks on east and sun shining from west behind the back.
    Well, guess I have to climb to there twice as scheduled hiking to it is probably during afternoon but when you have that kind of landscape its better not to miss such photographic opportunities.

In first five days of exercising I've increased daily walking trip to ~6km but walking longer distances starts to take too much time to do every day so have to invent something better...
    As weather got back to normal and nasty cold for anykind running guess I have to start carrying some weight on back or then maybe just keep going back and forth that place with uphill/downhill. (or both)

[QUOTE=PSI-KILLER;191240]do you have to wear an air tank?[/QUOTE]No, clothes work better...
    (and limiting daily altitude rise to ~300m)
    That's the airport that Sir Ed and co built. :) The runway wasn't even sealed until 10 years ago.
    [QUOTE=E.T;191230]Only that one place?
    Aren't there enough places in Rocky Mountains and west US to spend whole summer?[/QUOTE]

True, but Mt. Mazama made an impact on a 10 year old boy once in the Geology sciences. It'd be like visiting an old grandfather. ;)

[QUOTE=croxis;191212]Me too! And actually hike around it. Although it is a little bit closer to me :D[/QUOTE]

Yeah, different kind of scenery around these parts, just as beautiful, but thinking about the West makes me wistful...
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    JackN: I feel something similar for [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur's_Seat,_Edinburgh"]Arthur's Seat[/URL] in Edinburgh.

As for my travelling plans, I'm currently investigating 2-3 days visiting Istanbul in February, and if I can afford it, another few days in March in Marrakech or possibly Budapest
    [QUOTE=ShadowDancer;191305]JackN: I feel something similar for [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur's_Seat,_Edinburgh"]Arthur's Seat[/URL] in Edinburgh...[/QUOTE]

Ooh nice! :)

[QUOTE]Formed by an extinct volcano system of Carboniferous age (approximately 350 million years old)[/QUOTE]
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    Do Central Europeans have one toe less in their foot or just how can their shoes be so narrow?
    In Friday I was in some shops and trying trekking boots of Central European makers makes you remember certain line from Die Hard...

[QUOTE=JackN;191306]Ooh nice! :)
    [i]Formed by an extinct volcano system of Carboniferous age (approximately 350 million years old)[/i][/QUOTE]Such a young place...
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    Only two weeks left. (flight leaves in evening of 22nd)
    Should have now done at least about 300km of walking as exercise for the trip.

Now if I only get all photography related stuff for next weekend.
    Ended up ordering Panasonic DMC-GH2 which should arrive at least on Tuesday along with Panasonic 7-14mm and 100-300mm Micro Four Thirds lenses which with older Four Thirds Leica D 14-150mm cover 35mm eq. 14-600mm range nicely in two kilograms of weight.
    Extra batteries I had to order from Germany as there's no way in hell I would pay 80 euros for fucking brand batteries... Would someone please tell Panasonic to stop trying to fuck their customers with their policy of constantly changing proprietary batteries? (now there's even somekind ID chip in batteries)

As one thing learned for this trip damn India has really hugged capitalism thoroughly and apparently tries to run embassies with profit as they make you pay 50 euros for basic tourist visa.
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    Two days left... or actually first flight of travelling route should have already taken off half hour before that.

Hope 80GB of memory cards is enough for pictures.
    And darn Panasonic seems incapable to working with [url=http://www.jobo.com/web/photoGPS.447.0.html]Jobo PhotoGPS[/url] so won't be getting exact coordinates/altitude for pictures.