Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

100 years of counting machines

BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
IBM has a few interesting videos in its Youtube channel celebrating the fact that the company has been around since before the computer, something that's easy to forget these days. There are some interesting facts in them.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/user/ibm[/url]

Comments

• JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    Interesting...
  • You know, I actually had no idea IBM was around before computers...neat!
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    It's a pretty impressive achievement given all the changes that have taken place over 10yrs, let alone that last 100!
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE=A2597;191390]You know, I actually had no idea IBM was around before computers...neat![/QUOTE]
    Well, why would it be called as International Business Machines if personal computers were the only thing it had ever done?
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    A computer can be seen as a type of machine (especially older ones, which had far more moving parts), and computers were far more popular for business than home use until the early 80s.
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    I object to the thread title. There were counting machines more than 100 years ago. *cough* abacus *cough*
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    But not counting machines made by IBM. It doesn't say "100 years in total of counting machines."
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    The abacus was invented by IBM 100 years ago but due to an experiment going wrong, it ended up being sent back in time.
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    Which, coencidentialy enough, is an experiment that hasn't taken place yet...

Jake