Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Tech query

Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
Using Fujitsu SA3650, and just reinstalled win7 in 32 bit version. The thing is... I'm missing 2 gb of ram. It shows it on bios, it shows it in windows, but also says that only 2.2 gb usable.

How to get the rest enabled as well? Any tips? Could one of the ram memories be screwed?

Comments

• ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Pray to the Technology gods!
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    32 bit can only address up to about 3GB (actually, a little more, but generally only 3GB is reported by the motherboard).

My guess is that whatever motherboard you are using says: "32bit? 2.2 GB"

If you want to use your full 4GBs of ram, you need a 64bit OS. I assume the CPU is 64 bit?
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    damnit... I thought I could swear I was able to use more than 2.2 gb of ram on 32 bit before.. I had 64 bit windows, but some programs didnt work as well on that.. Guess I do need to get back on that.
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    32 bit systems have a hard limit of 3GB. If your motherboard has onboard video, it might be addressing some of your system RAM to the video, thus decreasing your total system RAM available.

I have ran a 64 bit OS for several years now, currently running 7 ultimate. No problems with any software. I can even dosbox really old games like Airbucks. What software gave you problems on 64 bit?
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    For clarity, 32 bits can address up to [i]4GB[/i] of memory. However, on x86 systems, usually up to 0.75GB of address space is used for hardware access, so the total you can actually see in Windows is typically 3.25GB.

2.2GB is an odd number. It's well below the expected addressable range, but it's also above the process address range. In Windows, a single 32-bit process (i.e. not a program that was compiled for 64-bit Windows) gets given a 2GB address space. What is telling you that you have 2.2GB of "usable" memory?
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    My system

[url]http://i53.tinypic.com/6xsuol.jpg[/url]
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    On-board graphics might account for some of that usage, if the on-board graphics doesn't have dedicated memory. Have you verified that both sticks read properly, individually? Another reason, is that something in your BIOS may be preventing you from seeing more than that. (highly doubtful though)
  • 32 bit is so 90's
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    I thought the memory on dedicated cards also counted as well?
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    The computer he's talking about is a laptop, so has probably shared memory.

However, it only has a dismal 64MB video ram. Not sure where the other 700MBs is going to.
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    [QUOTE=Random Chaos;191504]The computer he's talking about is a laptop, so has probably shared memory.

However, it only has a dismal 64MB video ram. Not sure where the other 700MBs is going to.[/QUOTE]
    Depends on the manufacturer. Some have discrete graphics processing, which has it's own dedicated amount of RAM. (usually somewhere between 256MB to 1GB) With that amount that's registering, either it's shared RAM or it's bad RAM.