Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Tatouine on Earth?

JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
[URL="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/20/two-suns-twin-stars_n_811864.html"]Two suns in the sky...[/URL]

[QUOTE]Betelgeuse, one of the night sky's brightest stars, is losing mass, indicating it is collapsing. It could run out of fuel and go super-nova at any time. When that happens, for at least a few weeks, we'd see a second sun. There may also be no night during that timeframe. The explosion could also cause a neutron star or result in the formation of a black hole 1300 light years from Earth.

But doomsday sayers should be careful about speculation on this one. If the star does go super-nova, Earth will be showered with harmless particles. "They will flood through the Earth and bizarrely enough, even though the supernova we see visually will light up the night sky, 99 per cent of the energy in the supernova is released in these particles that will come through our bodies and through the Earth with absolutely no harm whatsoever".

To clarify, the news.com.au article does not say a neutrino shower could be beneficial to Earth, but implies a supernova could be beneficial, stating, "Far from being a sign of the apocalypse, according to Dr Carter the supernova will provide Earth with elements necessary for survival and continuity."

Dr. Carter stressed that there is no way of knowing when the star may go supernova. U.S. astronomer Phil Plait added, "Betelgeuse might go up tonight, or it might not be for 100,000 years. We're just not sure."[/QUOTE]

Comments

• ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    That would be awesome to witness! I doubt it'll happen in our lifetimes tho
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    well, since it takes the light 1300 years to come here, it might have already happened...
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    If I don't get to gaze out at two suns setting with a John Williams soundtrack, I'm going to be very disapointed.
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Dr. Carter. Awesome name.
  • Wonder if this will be brighter than the 1054 supernova?

That was much farther away though, and a smaller star?
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    "All these worlds are yours, except Europa. Attempt no landing there."
  • Um, HELLO! It is not spelled TATOUINE, it is spelled TATOOINE!!!!!!!! How could you not KNOW THIS?!!!!!! Don't you know ANYTHING???!?!!!!!!!

Seriously though, that would be so cool if it happens.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Alas, [url=http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2011/01/21/betelgeuse-and-2012/]it will not.[/url]
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    Gotta love news agencies that will report anything, and not fact check a damn thing! ;)
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    Indeed! It is why we are all so smart on "current events" that probably never happened :D
  • Yeah I read this article about a week ago (maybe less) from another site, and I could tell whoever wrote the article didn't know shit about anything (Betelgeuse the second largest star in the UNIVERSE....okay, maybe I can accept galaxy, which is far from being true, but the whole universe? really?)
    I thought Angelina Jolie was the 2nd biggest star in the Universe.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Is that why she's so painful to look at?
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    The star that forms when she puckers her lips to pout doesn't count.
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    [QUOTE=Biggles;191411]Is that why she's so painful to look at?[/QUOTE]
    Maybe you should learn to duck more often? Those big lips must hurt, when they fly out and smack you in the head! ;)
    [QUOTE=Vertigo1;191414]Maybe you should learn to duck more often? Those big lips must hurt, when they fly out and smack you in the head! ;)[/QUOTE]

Case in Point...
  • Can I ask a scientific question, or should we continue with Angelina Jolie?
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    You can ask, but no guarantees! ;)
  • Okay, here we go...

If such event would happen, for how long this another "sun" would really visible for us?

Seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, years? I suppose it depends on many things, but I might as well just ask from the bright minded scientists of Green party.
    the article i read said that it would be Days...

And i was going to go for George Clooney as the 2nd biggest star in the universe, but his lack of breasts deterred me.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    I'm not sure if even the closest star, Proxima Centauri were to go nova, it would make a hugely noticable difference.
  • Hmm...A follow up.

If George Clooneys breasts would go nova, would the Betelguiseans see it?
    I"m not sure anyone can answer that question
    I think I remember reading somewhere that 25ly is the sort of distance needed for serious effects to be felt on earth. Could be wrong tho, that's just the figure that comes to mind
    [QUOTE=Entil'Zha;191423]the article i read said that it would be Days...

And i was going to go for George Clooney as the 2nd biggest star in the universe, but his lack of breasts deterred me.[/QUOTE]

Angelina Jolie's lack of breasts is overcompensated for by her lips...
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE=WORF;191425]I'm not sure if even the closest star, Proxima Centauri were to go nova, it would make a hugely noticable difference.[/QUOTE]You seem to forget huge differences in energy output of different stars.

Proxima Centauri is so tiny little fly shit err.. dwarf that it would have to brighten by insane amount to make it remarkable in any way.
    Its apparent brightness is well beyond limit of human vision while Betelgeuze shows up 10 magnitudes brighter from over hundred times bigger distance.
    In "direct" numbers using absolute brightness Proxima Centauri's brightness is ~0.0017 "suns" while for Betelgeuze it's estimated to be somewhere in class of 140 000 suns.