Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Battlestar Galactica series Bible

WORFWORF The Burninator
I'm not entirely sure what the circumstances of this document's release is, I found it on twitter. I like to think unlike the massively overpriced B5 script books, it seems like Ronald D Moore has the right idea about releasing behind the scenes material.

It's the series bible created during the planning stages of season one available as a PDF.

[URL="http://www.harvardwood.org/resource/resmgr/hwp-pdfs/battlestar_galactica_series.pdf"]Link[/URL]

Granted, it's not a script book but it should still be a facinating read.

Worf

Comments

• BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    It mentions Boxey, so it's clearly from the very early stages.
  • thanks! Should be an interesting read.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    I just skimmed it, but really was an interesting read, at some point i'm going to actually read the whole thing, I'm assuming that "Paul Tigh" is a typo since in the table he's listed as Saul
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    It's been around for a while. I saw references to it years ago in fan-fic, found a copy myself a while after that. There's also a first-draft of the miniseries script floating around (back when all twelve colonies were on one planet). I've also seen final-draft scripts of "Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down" and "Six of One." Maybe a few others.

And "Paul Tigh" was the original name, but it had to be changed for legal reasons. I guess one entry slipped through.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    A damned interesting read, for sure! The vast majority of this document seems to have been incorporated into the show itself, with only a few aspects being left completely untouched or loosely handled. It does make me feel a good deal more comfortable with how things went. Obvious changes were in the shift away from exploring Cylon social dynamics in extreme detail and visiting their homeworld (instead, transitioning to a remote satellite colony). It also seems as if Roslin was given a little extra dose of drama to go with her near-term past.

The bible also does seem to imply the potential for the alien influencers (or "gods," as it were) to be part of the show's development in the form of alien intelligence beyond our characters' perception, so that does seem to fit.

Some of the detail it provides us regarding the war itself also make me curious about how Blood and Chrome will pan out. Galactica being involved in so many front line operations should make for an interesting story (though on a semi-tangent, I am disappointed in the first casting news)
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    I think Blood and Chrome will be better than Caprica, but not as good as BSG, Part of BSG's sucess was not just a good story and epic space battles, but a cast that gelled almost from day one. Blood and Chrome could have better stories than BSG, and even better Space battles, but without that cast being as good as the BSG cast, the show will never be as good (IMHO)
  • A good read, thanks. I agree with Biggles, they did keep most of those original concepts around in one way or another.
    I also found it interesting that they had more of the series arc we finally saw planned from the beginning that I though they had. At times it seemed that the cylons had a plan, but the showrunner didn't. :p

Just one thing I disagree with Ronald D. Moore:
    [quote=Ronald D. Moore in the Series Bible]To that end, our series employs a three-tiered structure to maintain tension and suspense every week. Similar to the one employed by the classic TV series Hill Street Blues but never attempted in science fiction, this structure lets us keep the pressure on our characters every week through the use of a long-term continuing storyline while at the same time allowing for weekly, stand-alone stories designed to hook in viewers who may not have watched last week's episode. [/quote]
    Sorry, but I believe that Babylon 5 did that first. A series arc, multi-episode arcs, and single-episode arcs were not a BSG first in SF TV (actually I suspect they were attempted by other SF series before B5).
    Now I understand that referencing another, not so long ago finished SF show is not as good marketing as what he wrote, still, I disagree.

In any event, Galactica was a great series (but I still like more Babylon 5).