Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Shiny!

[url]http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/02/17/firefly-returns/[/url]

This is awesome. I need to check and see if I get Science Channel! It's also cool to see how much Nathan really enjoyed playing the role! He'd by the rights if he could afford it? Cool stuff!

He has a cameo role in the screenplay I've been writing, as himself; after reading his comments here, it makes me want him in it even more!

Comments

• WORFWORF The Burninator
    [URL="http://yfrog.com/h38hvwj"]Related[/URL] :)
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I don't get it. What's with the tickets?
  • Him saying if he won 300 million the 1st thing he would do is buy the rights to Firefly and distribute it freely on the net.
    No, he said he would make more Firefly and distribute it on the internet.

Seems to have kicked up a storm, at least as far as fans go.
  • [url]http://edition.cnn.com/2011/TECH/web/02/23/bring.back.firefly/index.html?hpt=C2[/url]

[quote]
    CNN) -- True Browncoats, like the fictional freedom fighters they named themselves after, don't give up easily.

Those diehard fans of "Firefly," the 2002 cult TV hit, have a history of turning to the internet to buck improbable odds in defense of their favorite show.

Now, they're at it again.

Just days after an apparently offhand comment from Nathan Fillion, who played Capt. Malcolm Reynolds on the short-lived Fox series, the Web has once again lit up with efforts to revive the sci-fi franchise.

Last week, Fillion, who now stars in ABC's "Castle," told Entertainment Weekly he'd love to play Mal again. Then, he ratcheted things up a notch.

"If I got $300 million from the California Lottery, the first thing I would do is buy the rights to "Firefly," make it on my own, and distribute it on the internet," Fillion told EW, a CNN.com partner.

Then, some possibly surprising online reactions started rolling in.

The next day, former "Firefly" writer Jose Molina wrote on Twitter: "For what it's worth, I've told him I'd drop what I was doing and follow."

Then, Jane Espenson, who wrote an episode, chimed in: "I'm there, if needed," she tweeted.

Jewel Staite, who played ace mechanic Kaylee on the show, had a simple answer when a Twitter follower asked if she'd be on board: "Is the Pope Catholic?"

That was more than enough for fans (whose "Browncoat" nickname, by the way, comes from the Western-style dusters worn by Fillion and others on the show).

A website, "Help Nathan Buy Firefly," popped up, under the title "Let's get the Captain his money."

The goal? To set up a means of collecting pledges that would turn into donations if a revived "Firefly" looks like it could become a reality.

The pledge system hadn't been officially created as of Tuesday, but fans were already writing in the site's comment section that they're willing to pony up.

In five days, the site's Facebook group had picked up more than 33,000 members -- about 10,000 of them in the past 24 hours.

The two creators of the site are remaining publicly anonymous for now. In an email to CNN (which came from an address linked to the site and was mentioned on the group's Facebook page), they said they work in the nonprofit field but "have no credentials to speak of" in the TV/film industry or "Firefly" community.

They acknowledged that the odds that Fillion was serious about buying the show's rights are "pretty low," but hope the community's willingness to support some sort of revamped "Firefly" will encourage creator Joss Whedon or someone else with the proper clout to make a move.

"Joss paid out of pocket to make [Web series] 'Dr. Horrible,' and it's not only paid him back, it's paid the folks involved," they said in the email. "We'd like to see him be willing to let fans become his pocket and revisit ['Firefly']."

They say they "won't take a penny" from anyone until someone like Whedon or Fillion gets involved in an effort to revive the show and would look to set up a not-for-profit foundation or something of the sort if that happens.

Other devotees of the cult favorite say they're not surprised by the quick Web action.

"I couldn't believe it when I first read the story," said Brian Harvard, co-creator of the 25,000-member-strong "Bring Back Firefly" Facebook page. "Then, all of a sudden, everyone's posting these links to the 'Help Nathan Buy Firefly' page and I said, 'We've got to help get the word out about this.' "

Even before "Firefly" was officially sacked in 2002, fans had taken to the Web to try to save it. Using the online tools of the early 2000s -- message boards, fan sites, chat rooms and LiveJournal blogs -- they organized. Call it an early example of crowd-sourcing.

They collected money for an ad in Variety, organized a postcard-writing campaign to Universal Pictures and, when the DVD box set was released, raised $14,000 to put copies on 250 Navy ships for the crews to watch.

The fan base's self-styled guerrilla marketing is widely considered to have helped Whedon get funding for 2005's "Serenity," a feature film that draws together some of the loose ends from the series.

"On the internet, that was one of the first times you've seen such a drive to bring something back," Harvard said. "Now, with the advent of Facebook? My goodness -- that's probably the most useful tool, next to the internet itself, to really bring some fire under this movement."

Harvard acknowledges that Fillion's comment sounds like an off-the-cuff quip. (And 20th Century Fox, which owns the rights to "Firefly," hasn't expressed any desire to sell them.)

But he says that doesn't mean nothing will come out of the internet reaction to it.

"Even if this project goes nowhere, at least it's something to show the powers-that-be that there's a product there that could be making them some money," he said.

Fillion was talking about the series after the Science Channel announced they'd be airing reruns of the original series. The episodes, which begin airing at 8 p.m. March 6, will include segments with the network's Dr. Michio Kaku commentating on the science portrayed in the show.
    [/quote]
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    Nobody has heard a word out of Wheadon yet, But most of the actors say they would do it, Of course, it's all just a pipedream since it's never going to happen, BEST case, fox decides they can make some money and they do a couple made for tv Firefly movies/miniseries. But i cannot imagine them commissioning a continuation of the actual series.
    Sadly I have to agree with Entil'Zha. These fans organising this whole thing seem to think all they need to get is Joss Whedon to say he'll do it. Unfortunately, it's not that simple, if it was, we'd have a lot more Firefly already.
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    If Firefly does continue, they'll have to do one of two things: 1. Retcon the movie, since two of the main characters DIE in it. 2. Focus on what happened between the end of the series, and the events shown in the movie.

If it's the latter, then it won't last long anyways. Judging by the script, it couldn't have been very long as I'Nara was leaving the ship anyways, as of "Heart of Gold".
  • Pixel_DonkeyPixel_Donkey Earthforce Officer
    I'm actually interested in watching Firefly again, I love the comments on the first link... poor troll lol.
    If i remember right, the original series was supposed to last 7 years, and at one point Wheadon said that Serenity took place some 10 years after the series.

so it could fit between.
    Serenity takes place 8 months after the series began. They actually say it in the movie.
    Hmmm, i thought i had read that it took place much later, my bad.
    No problem. It helps to have watched it recently ;)

Doesn't seem like Nathan Fillion is giving this campaign the support the organisers were hoping for. [URL="http://twitter.com/NathanFillion/status/40976112423141376"]Link[/URL].

Although to be honest, I can't say I blame him for saying that. As much as I'd like to see more Firefly, it doesn't seem all that likely.
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    Actually, the recent Shepherd book graphic novel retcons it so that there were four years between Serenity-the-Pilot and Serenity-the-Movie. Which works for me. It was hard enough fitting in all the episodes (with date references like there being six months or so between "Our Mrs. Reynolds" and "Trash"), and the two earlier comic stories into eight months.
  • It may have been hard to imagine all that crammed into only 8 months, but the fact that Mal flat out says River has been on board for 8 months in the movie makes that ret-con even harder for me to swallow.
    How bout the whole movie is just some weird shit going on in River's head and didn't really happen....
    That's probably not a retcon that will stick, especially on the off chance the browncoats are successful. Any new episodes/movies would only take what was shown in the series/Serenity itself.

Eight months sounds about right to me. Firefly is roughly 5-6 months worth of story and a two month gap before Serenity.
    [QUOTE=Entil'Zha;191768]How bout the whole movie is just some weird shit going on in River's head and didn't really happen....[/QUOTE]
    No offense, but that's a really lame cop-out.
    It may be a lame cop out, but give me another way it could be continued, without trying to squeeze multiple seasons into 8 months, without losing both Book and Wash. If you can come up with something plausable then i'm all for it, but its either make the whole thing a dream, Pretend it never happened, or continue the series without 2 fairly important characters, If i've got to chose between those 3, i'll take the cop out every time.

This is why I said earlier that the only realistic way for more Firefly is in the form of a movie/tv-movie/miniseries and that despite everyone wanting it, it will NEVER be a full fledged TV series again.
    Buffy and Angel both continued with multiple character changes. Infact with Angel, only one character survived from the first episode to the last. No reason Firefly can't do the same.
    I disagree, That particular group of actors is part of what made the show great (for me anyway) If you change the cast, you'd change the whole dynamic and I don't think it would be as good (not to mention the fact that in past interviews the cast has said they would only do more Firefly if they all came back)
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I'm gonna agree with Entil'Zha, part of the magic of Firefly was the character dynamics, and I just dont think that they/we would get that lucky again with some new characters drafted in. Not until there have been a lot more than the original run of episodes
  • What if the series was simply continued along it's original path, like the movie never happened. And then Serentiy would just be an interesting side story, but not part of the actual timeline. No silly cop outs, no worries about cramming more story into that little 8 months.
    [QUOTE=Entil'Zha;191788]It may be a lame cop out, but give me another way it could be continued, without trying to squeeze multiple seasons into 8 months, without losing both Book and Wash. If you can come up with something plausable then i'm all for it, but its either make the whole thing a dream, Pretend it never happened, or continue the series without 2 fairly important characters, If i've got to chose between those 3, i'll take the cop out every time.

This is why I said earlier that the only realistic way for more Firefly is in the form of a movie/tv-movie/miniseries and that despite everyone wanting it, it will NEVER be a full fledged TV series again.[/QUOTE]
    Honestly, as good as it was, I'd rather see the movie ret-conned. I just don't see it happening though, as that would piss off a lot of fans. The only other logical alternative, is to reboot the series.
    The people organising this whole help Nathan Fillion by Firefly seem very...suspicious.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see more Firefly/Serenity but I just don't see it happening.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    [QUOTE=WORF;191763]No problem. It helps to have watched it recently ;)

Doesn't seem like Nathan Fillion is giving this campaign the support the organisers were hoping for. [URL="http://twitter.com/NathanFillion/status/40976112423141376"]Link[/URL].

Although to be honest, I can't say I blame him for saying that. As much as I'd like to see more Firefly, it doesn't seem all that likely.[/QUOTE]

I don't think that has anything to do with the probability of revival, but rather the legal trouble it could cause. That is money going around without a paper trail, a.k.a. dangerous waters.
    There's that element to it as well.
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    It seems like a prime candidate for a [url=http://www.kickstarter.com/]Kickstarter[/url] project. The plan they described of requesting pledges and then only actually taking money when they hit the goal. I wonder if they'll use that if and when they start their pledge system in earnest.
    [url]http://www.imdb.com/video/wab/vi3717699609/[/url]

Looks like FOX is watching to see what happens with the sales of that!

[url]http://helpnathanbuyfirefly.com/how-you-can-help-right-now/[/url]
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    I saw a banner ad on farcebook the other day and thought hoax but... I agree it would be cool to have FF back but having lost Wash it wouldn't feel the same having someone else pilot Serenity and try and fill his amusing & sarcastic shoes. And with Preacher gone too... its gonna be awkward. Whedon always regretted killing off Doyle in Angel and got a lot of stick from fans. Doing it the way he did with Serenity he knew he could sort of get away with it. But it was always going to cause problems if it ever got going again.