Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Car Accident... :(

Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
Just had myself a bit of a nasty, Heading north on I95 in Maine, when what should appear out of nowhere in the middle of my lane? a fucking huge truck tire. which we hit at around 70MPH, went up on two wheels (the drivers side wheels) luckily i was able to keep the car under control, the guy behind me said he couldn't believe we didn't flip over (he was also the ONLY person to stop to make sure we were ok) , Somehow i managed to not hit the guardrail which is a good thing because if we had hit it on 2 wheel's i'm prettu sure we'd have gone over it into oncoming traffic (it's one of those little 2 foot tall guardrails)

Everyone's ok, One of my passengers was taken to the hospital with a bump to the head, my daughter's also got a bit of a bump on the head, i've got a nice seatbelt bruise, but other than that we're all ok. other than pretty shaken up.

Comments

• Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    [url]https://picasaweb.google.com/mhochman/Accident#[/url]
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    I think that poor Subie's going to need an alignment!

Everyone walked away, so that's good.

Jake
    Any landing you can walk away from is a good one.

I do need to call Subaru tomorrow and ask why none of the Airbags deployed.

Looking at the damage to the front end, and the fact that the car was up on 2 wheels then slammed back down, i'd have expected the side curtain airbags to deploy at the very least.

Then have to call the collision center and get an estimate on repairs, oh and have to try and get the rental car company to bring me a car since we're 200 miles from home, Should prolly go see a doctor and get checked out too.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    Yeah, definitely a good idea to be checked after an incident like this.

Glad everyone is okay though.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Jeez that could have been nasty! Glad to hear everyone is ok tho!
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Nice work keeping the car under control. It's fair to say that your actions are probably why everyone's safe.
  • Good to hear that you and everyone else are okay...

[quote]
    I do need to call Subaru tomorrow and ask why none of the Airbags deployed.

Looking at the damage to the front end, and the fact that the car was up on 2 wheels then slammed back down, i'd have expected the side curtain airbags to deploy at the very least.
    [/quote]

I believe what triggers the airbags is a mechanical force directed to sensor... Could be that not any of the sensors were hit at the impact. Worth asking though.
    Sinclair, that's my understanding as well, however since the front bumper is torn off on the passengers side, i would have assumed that there was enough force that they should have deployed (i'm glad they didn't, as re-packing airbacks is pricey!) ALmost hoping that the car has more damage than it's worth, i'd love a new car!! but i'm guessing the damage is closer to $5000 and the car's still worth around $18000... CRAP! i dont' even get a new car out of it!!!

Biggles, thanks, I'd like to think so, but it was all instinct and reaction.

quite sore today, Going to contact the rental car company now, then once we get the car try and find this repair shop so I can get all our luggage out and go home...
  • Glad to hear everyone's okay!

Good luck on the repairs and insurance and all that; we just went through that a couple months ago, and that was just about as much fun as getting hit in the first place!
    Oh i Think the accident may have been more fun than dealing with all this bull, still waiting on the car rental place to pick us up, the guy at the body shop says it might be totaled but they won't know till they "Do a full teardown" (i don't like the sound of that!)
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    You may yet get your new car then!
    I doubt it, I don't think there was that much damage.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    RE: Bumper and Air Bag deployment

I think it's might be the difference between crush force and yank force... :p

Basically direction of force...
  • I wonder if we'd still argue about how airbags work if something had happened... Probably yes.
    Abso-frakking-lutely dammit!
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Oh wow, glad to hear you were all ok. Must have been one big scare for you. Glad youve got solid reactions to manouver out of that.
    Scare doesn't even begin to describe it, it was terrifying, Finally home, we got the rental car squared away. went over to the body shop this morning to have a look, front end isn't too bad, bumper is ripped off, the front quarterpanel is impinging the passenger door, i believe the axle is snapped, the front wheel is toast, will need new rims for sure. there was some sort of fluid dripping from the engine. when last i spoke to them, they were "Getting ready to load the car on a forklift for teardown"

as for the airbags, we hit a stationary object at 65+ mph head on. Then had the car go up on two wheels (the left two) and slam back into the ground... I'd expect that to have deployed the bags. but who knows. I may call Subaru and ask them... Either way the car is not happy, nor am I.
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    Pretty incredible! Glad you're ok. How old was the car?

And I think JackN needs to yank you around a bit :)
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    It's good to hear you and your passengers made it out without much incident. Truck tires cause more accidents than people suspect, but very few people ever even consider the possibility. By the sound of it, you handled the situation as best you could (thus the minimal incident beyond your car taking a break for a while). Great work. Drivers rarely get enough credit for avoiding incidents, but always get the blame.

As far as why the airbags didn't deploy, it's probably related to overall impact force combined with how the car was thrown. From the pictures, it looks like the rogue tire was either perpendicular to your car or at a point in its motion where it was easily flattened against the ground. Your car hit it, the wheel's inertia and grip picked up your front end and lifted it. As far as the computers were concerned in this situation, you'd be accelerating up, not a direction that airbag deployment would matter. hitting the post was probably with just enough force to not warrant triggering the curtain bags.

Just my hypothesis. Let me know how far off I am from the course of events :p
    Regarding
    RC, it's a 2009 that I bought brand new.

Sanfam, I have no doubt that you are correct, I was just a little suprised with all the stories i hear from people saying how they were just tapped and their airbags deployed.

The curtain airbag may have prevented the wife's cousin from banging her head on the wall and having to go to the hospital, But since she's fine anyway it doesn't really matter.

What amazes me is that when we hit it, aparently we launched the tire as well, as it ended up off the right hand side of the road right near where we came to rest, but that the tire didn't hit anyone else.

Could definitely have been a lot worse.
  • DarthCaligulaDarthCaligula Elite Ranger
    Good to hear that everything turned out fine after something like that.
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    Dang man, good job on keeping the car under control. I know you said pure reaction and what not, but I've seen people lose control on the interstate, and it is not a pretty site. You've got good reactions if you prefer, and they played a role in seeing everyone walk away from this one.

From what you described, I'd be surprised if they don't total the car. Glad you made it out OK man, I see those tires on the road a lot, and can easily believe them the cause of many and accident.
    Well end of day one and no estimate. here's hoping i have some numbers Tomorrow.
    I have never, ever seen a truck tyre on the road (highway or otherwise) here. Is it really that common in the US?

[QUOTE=Entil'Zha;191910]What amazes me is that when we hit it, aparently we launched the tire as well, as it ended up off the right hand side of the road right near where we came to rest, but that the tire didn't hit anyone else.

Could definitely have been a lot worse.[/QUOTE]

Given the forces involved, I'm not surprised it went flying. It's very fortunate that it didn't strike anyone else on its way, though.
    Well, i've been driving for 23 years, and have seen my share of debris on the road, but never a truck tire. My guess is that it was on/in the back of someones truck and not secured properly and bounced out.

I'm just glad that when we launched the tire, it didn't go into oncoming traffic as it could have easily killed someone.

The one silver lining (other than us all being ok) is that nobody else was involved or hurt, I don't think i would have handled it well if we had caused serious injury or death to someone else, even if it was not actually my fault.

we got lucky...

Beginning of day 3 on the car. and still no estimate...
    [QUOTE=Entil'Zha;191923]I'm just glad that when we launched the tire, it didn't go into oncoming traffic as it could have easily killed someone.[/QUOTE]

I can believe that. A few years ago, a wheel came off a truck on the motorway in Auckland at 100km/h. It bounced across into oncoming traffic and into the front of a bus. The passenger in front was killed by the impact.
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    Glad to hear everything ended up well enough.

On truck tires coming loose, I've once seen a bus losing one of it's tire.
    Biggles, We had someone actually pretty close to where I had my accident killed a few years ago by a loose tire. So it does happen.

any Debris at 65+ can be deadly thats for sure.
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    I routinely make a 480 mile drive, and I see truck tires on or beside the road every trip. Usually you just get the shredded remnants in the middle of the road, but sometimes larger peices.
    the one we hit was an actual full tire, not bits of one, tire, rim, wheel, EVERYTHING,

I see bits of truck tire everywhere, but this is my first time seeing a whole one in the middle of my lane, lol, and hopefully the last.